Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
With current roster, what did ppl expect from BB
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 27
| visibility 1

With current roster, what did ppl expect from BB

Mar 26, 2017, 7:54 AM

How many of the guys on our team make Duke's roster? Maybe a few?
How many actually get playing time in Durham? Maybe Jaron?

Duke finished like 28-9 and 5th in the ACC.
What exactly were you guys expecting outta BB??

Recruiting doesnt change overnight, and even a half-decade won't change perception without a single key guy to get the ball rolling (cf Tajh Boyd, Zion etc). We haven't had that guy, and its not like Brownell has done a "bad" job in recruiting. We are who we are.

If anything, all you can hope for is to every 10 yrs or so, get lucky like Sakerlina is doing and make a run at the ACC title or sweet 16ish. That should be the definition of success in bball.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

i expected a lot more. We had our most talented team

Mar 26, 2017, 7:59 AM

in about 7 years, had veteran players who should have led us to a top half acc finish and an NCAA tournement birth. Some of our returning players didn't progress, some even regressed. Quite often the older, more experienced and yes less talented players can win vs more talented less experienced players and teams.

This was what should have happened, it didn't.

Re: With current roster, what did ppl expect from BB

Mar 26, 2017, 8:12 AM

Brad's staff has not done a great job of getting players we could with basketball savvy and potential. Martin has done that and it shows; not speaking of Thornwell but others. Also not convinced that the staff has done decent job of coaching them up. Our big guys have been poor contributors and this years group was no exception.
Brad needs to develop some real passion for the game and utilize guys that play with a zeal to win.
There are guys out there that could improve our hoops program and pass the studies at Clemson. So I expect him to develop a program that can win games they play and have a 20 point lead in the 2nd half. I expect it to start with next season and continue every year.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 26, 2017, 8:59 AM

I expect an NCAA bid or Brownell better be gone.

The tournament*****

Mar 26, 2017, 8:15 AM

Mar 26, 2017, 8:58 AM

That's easy. With the transfers becoming a real factor and JB being back, we expected the team to make the NCAA tournament. 4-12 was an embarrassing finish in an overrated ACC. Your Duke comparison is unfair. They are one of the blue bloods in college basketball. Compare us to Virginia Tech or a more middle of the road ACC school. This team had the experience level to do do better. It badly underachieved putting Brownells future at Clemson uncertain. He has had seven years to get the job done. He hasn't . That's plenty of time. As for making the NCAAs once every ten years, that's too low expectations for an ACC level program. Setting the bar so low justifies your excuses for Brownell.

To lose the first game in the tournament.***

Mar 26, 2017, 9:04 AM

Mar 26, 2017, 9:09 AM

We need to play defense and act like we care if we win or lose. Seems like the team has taken the personality of the coach which is soft. Maybe they are comfortable like the coach.

Mar 26, 2017, 9:21 AM

We have plenty if talent are you crazy. We played with ever team and lost in the last 2 mins of most games. That isnt coaching??

Mar 26, 2017, 9:37 AM

Losing becomes a mindset. Some of this close losses were coaching blunders. We did not know who the players were on the court. Brownell showed no emotion and no fight. Dabo won't hesitate to let a player or official know his feelings. The ACC was overrated as a conference. Brad will get his chance to turn those close losses into wins this coming season. His job rides on the results.

Mar 26, 2017, 10:00 AM

He has to put that mindset into the team. I just do not believe he is a winner. I know he wants to win but he does not seem to have that it factor that the players can feed off of.

Mar 26, 2017, 9:33 AM

First off don't use a Duke comparison,or any comparison of most of the teams that made the
Sweet 16 or Elite 8 because most of these teams had the one ingredient Clemson lacked:
A dominating "BIG" man who could make his presence in the paint a major factor.
Don't believe me,just look at the two semi final games last night.Both Gonzaga,and Oregon
dominated in the paint,especially on the defensive side of the ball.
I'm no expert on basketball, but it seems to me that a traditional 5 man rotation of a center,a point guard,a shooting guard,a power forward,and a small forward will go a lot farther than a team like Oliver Purnell,and to some extent Brad's team do.Few run,and gun teams made it past the 2nd round.
Now if you want to compare teams,if South Carolina can get those type of players than why not Clemson?
And please don't use the argument that we beat them.Maybe we did,but who is still playing?

Well I'll say Frank Martin was a shoot the moon

Mar 26, 2017, 9:46 AM

spurrier type hire. They just kinda lucked into him bc of his personal problems and being let go at k-state. He was doing exceptional there but couldn't keep his personal issues from ruffling feathers. So they had to part ways. Seems he's changed a lot and has worked that stuff out and is starting to get usuck in position to be what K-state was when he left. So in other words they have a proven winner as a coach. We have "wait and see" type. So that's what we are. A wait and see type program.

Re: Well I'll say Frank Martin was a shoot the moon

Mar 26, 2017, 9:47 AM

That has to change at Clemson.

Mar 26, 2017, 1:33 PM [ in reply to Well I'll say Frank Martin was a shoot the moon ]

Martin was not let go at Kansas State.

Making up stuff again

Mar 26, 2017, 1:36 PM

"Making stuff up again"

You mean like you pretending to be a Clemson fab

March 4th 2016- "Lee won't be here 4 years from today" - Viztiz

Mar 26, 2017, 9:41 AM

We expected to be more competitive this year with our roster and a down year for the ACC. We competed better the previous year (Ws - Ls), in an up year for the conference.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

To not lose every close game we played.

Mar 26, 2017, 9:48 AM

But then, I suppose our history under BB it would have been logical to expect that.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: To not lose every close game we played.

Mar 26, 2017, 10:04 AM

His average is 17 wins a year. That defines mediocrity.

I take it...

Mar 26, 2017, 10:18 AM

you're not much of a basketball fan?

usually, these comments are from the ones who don't care.

Re: I take it...

Mar 26, 2017, 10:24 AM

I care a lot. I wish the administration has higher expectations for basketball.

Re: I take it...

Mar 26, 2017, 11:58 AM

LOL...

talkin' bout T-fan.

Is that you D-Rad?***

Mar 26, 2017, 10:19 AM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Loser talk.***

Mar 26, 2017, 10:22 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You're missing the point. Let's say he didn't have a great

Mar 26, 2017, 12:54 PM

roster this year; at some point over seven years it's the head coach's job to assemble a roster that's good enough to get to the NCAA tournament.

Recruiting is the responsibility of the head coach; it's one of his most important roles. I fully understand that we were behind the curve with facilities, and lack a great basketball tradition, but when you consider that Brownell's immediate predecessor did it in the 3 years prior to Brownell's arrival, those excuses just can't be a serious, complete explanation for Brownell's total failure in that area. Even IF those things are 100% to blame, the question becomes, what do we do about it? In that scenario, it may be very unfair to blame coach Brownell and fire him without giving him a chance with new facilities. There are two problems with that; the first concern should be what's best for Clemson, not coach Brownell, and even if it's unfortunate for him, recruits are still going to view Brownell (and Clemson basketball under Brownell) as a coach who has had no success. It's a recipie for continued failure.

Besides, this year we were just as, if not more talented than several teams that finished ahead of us. Our collapse in conference play can only partly be blamed on a talent deficit.

Coach Brownell reminds me a lot of Brad Scott in some ways. He is a really, really great guy. He does everything the right way; some might say The Clemson Way. He is very highly regraded among his peers and everyone that has any dealings with him. For now, he's too young, and still could be successful at another, perhaps mid-major school as a head coach, but some point, I think he'd be great in some type of administrative role in the athletic department, like Brad Scott. I think he's a Clemson guy. It's just unfortunate that he's not been able to get it done as head coach, and it's past time to move in another direction there. Having said all of that, I hope I'm wrong, and a big plate of crow will never taste as sweet as it would if Brownell turns it around next season.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Re: You're missing the point. Let's say he didn't have a great

Mar 26, 2017, 12:59 PM

Agreed!

I was expecting our team to score more points then the other

Mar 26, 2017, 1:52 PM

team then the other team more often then not. How many really close games did we have this year where we snagged defeat from the jaws of victory ? If a given game is a blowout, then the clearly the other team is better (at least that game). But when you consistently choke by a few points game after game, clearly the team does not know how to "close" ... that is more often then not, coaching.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

to answer your Q

Mar 26, 2017, 3:05 PM

better players. That's the point. It's called recruiting. (What rock you been under?)

Replies: 27
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic