Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
A couple of things
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 8
| visibility 1,024

A couple of things

Mar 25, 2017, 9:03 AM

First, we don't care about basketball. When baseball and football were mediocre and basketball was decent in the mid to late 00s, we cared. But now that both baseball and football are back to elite status, we don't care. Want to know how I know? The night of the NIT game, there were more people at the Yale baseball game than in Littlejohn. There. There's your proof.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

People are attracted to winners. Win and people come.

Mar 25, 2017, 9:06 AM

Moreso, show competence in the game and people more willing to invest emotionally and financially.

Second

Mar 25, 2017, 9:06 AM

I actually hope SC and NC make it to the finals and NC dropkicks them by over 30. I can see the shirts now: "That's why WE are Carolina." And I do get that basketball is big for a lot of schools and betting purposes, but we, as Clemson fans and alumni, don't particularly care for it unless the team is doing well and our primary sports aren't. For the record, that's why SC fans are such huge basketball fans righy now.

Re: A couple of things

Mar 25, 2017, 9:23 AM

We can get that love of basketball back. You reference the years when Barnes and Purnell were here. Students camped out for tickets . A larger Littlejohn was full with strong support. We had a a brand of basketball that was fun to watch. Just because football and baseball is strong , why can't we be good in basketball? There is a New Littlejohn arena. The basketball complex has been much improved. What is our brand in basketball? Is our style of play exciting for prospects? Improve on these two and kids will come. Football has everything it needs now to be elite. The administration needs to show more support to basketball such as improved salaries for quality assistant coaches who are excellent recruiters first. Increase the recruiting budget in basketball so we can extend our range. Instill a culture of winning not accepting defeat. This staff accepted defeat in games late rather than get mad and do something about it. Does Brownell ever show any real fight in a game? Dabo has shown that kind of fight. Does Drad care that Clemson basketball is near dead last in the ACC His decision to keep Brownell says yes. He can't even hold a press conference and defend it.

I'm not saying we can't get the enthusiasm back

Mar 25, 2017, 10:26 AM

But we don't have it. Or fans clearly don't care. I love basketball, but I don't care right now because the man at the helm, although a good man, it's not a good coach.

Re: I'm not saying we can't get the enthusiasm back

Mar 25, 2017, 10:28 AM

On that we agree.

Mar 25, 2017, 9:39 AM

I care about Clemson basketball, both women and men's. I want them to win and be competitive. Same with football, baseball and other Clemson sports. The NCAAT is fun, but more fun when Clemson is playing in it. That's exposure to a lot of young men and women who may not know anything about Clemson. College basketball is on TV a lot more than baseball. Clemson needs a winning program to get this exposure for basketball.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonormyfavorange.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

This is 1st season I did not go to BB game since 1980

Mar 25, 2017, 10:16 AM

Team is dead to me as long as BB is coaching. No recruiting. No coaching. No hope. Why waste my time getting upset by trifling play? Look forward to new coach and new hope.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 25, 2017, 10:39 AM

We is to broad of a word to describe fans. You may not care, but a heck of lot do! Clemson fans are disinterested because of so few periods of success. Look at 1970s football and attendance was down. Fuller and co. changed that quickly. Get a BB coach who is committed to change the program and win! Hard choices need to be made by the AD, Trustees and IPTAY before we will succeed. Money spent on LJC should merely be a start.

Go Tigers!

Replies: 8
| visibility 1,024
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic