Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
You younguns don't remember how good USUC BBall used to be
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 31
| visibility 1

You younguns don't remember how good USUC BBall used to be

Mar 24, 2017, 11:42 PM

when Frank McGuire was their coach, and Ribok, Riker, and Roche owned the hard courts. This ain't nothing new. In fact, I think those teams were better than this one.

That said - congrats to USUC for Elite 8. Maybe some of their fans can stop going to counseling now.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: You younguns don't remember how good USUC BBall used to be

Mar 24, 2017, 11:44 PM

Remember the SCAR vs NC State hold theball game?

Mar 24, 2017, 11:52 PM

:) Yes. They had to change the rules after that nonsense.

Mar 24, 2017, 11:57 PM

Were you the streaker between Lever and Malden in 70 or 71?

Mar 25, 2017, 12:04 AM

LOL - man, I gotta change my handle. That name comes from previously owning a Meanstreak motorcycle. I'm gonna change that. :)

Mar 24, 2017, 11:59 PM [ in reply to Re: You younguns don't remember how good USUC BBall used to be ]

I was at Clemson in 63-67
and the Tigers used to kick the
Coots posterior with: Randy Mahaffey,Walt Ayers, Southerland,Ayoob,and Ken "Stick" Gardner.

Mar 25, 2017, 12:02 AM

Didn't Dickie Foster beat them with one good lung?

Mar 25, 2017, 8:51 AM [ in reply to Re: You younguns don't remember how good USUC BBall used to be ]

and Hank Channel (something like that). I always thought Randy Mahaffey was the best of all the brothers. Richie, who came a few years later was "supposed" to be better, but he was not even close to Randy. They even beat UNC in Charlotte one year I was there ....maybe 1965.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 25, 2017, 10:04 AM [ in reply to Re: You younguns don't remember how good USUC BBall used to be ]

Unc had a lot to do with the rule change

No, but I remember the Coppin State game.***

Mar 25, 2017, 2:39 AM [ in reply to Re: You younguns don't remember how good USUC BBall used to be ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

it is something new

Mar 24, 2017, 11:46 PM

I mean you're talking about teams that existed when the Diprotodon was roaming the hills

Re: it is something new

Mar 24, 2017, 11:53 PM

Gonna be honest, I had to google what a diprotodon was. I was not disappointed.

Coots are all history majors now.***

Mar 25, 2017, 1:08 AM [ in reply to it is something new ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Mar 24, 2017, 11:59 PM

Unfortunately for them only the conference tournament champion made the field back then. Also that was back in the day when UCLA ruled the courts. Would not have mattered much anyway.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 25, 2017, 12:07 AM

Only Tobacco road teams were allowed to win the ACC in bball in the 60's by " official" rule layed down by Dean Smith and his hold the ball offensive offense

I'm just a little young to remember Roche and Riker

Mar 25, 2017, 12:15 AM

but I do remember a Furman beating them in the NCAA's when they had English and Winters.

Back when Furman was good too with Clyde Mayes, Fessor Leonard, Bruce Grimm

Re: I'm just a little young to remember Roche and Riker

Mar 25, 2017, 6:04 AM

Arrrgh - you had to mention Clyde Mayes. I went to Parker HS (Greenville) and we would probably have won state that year in BBall, but somehow Wade Hampton HS (Greenville) 'acquired' Clyde Mayes. He was a phenom and WHHS won the state instead of us. I'm still not sure how WHHS acquired Mayes right before the state championships, but did not have him on their team during the regular season. Dang it. But - I loved Furman, so he was okay when he went there. :)

Re: I'm just a little young to remember Roche and Riker

Mar 25, 2017, 8:54 AM

I used to see Clyde several days a week walking his dogs around a lke near my house. He was a nice guy and a heck of of a player for WHHS and Furman.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I am old enough to have played against

Mar 25, 2017, 10:01 AM [ in reply to Re: I'm just a little young to remember Roche and Riker ]

Parker HS, lol. Was Clyde Agnew at Parker or Greenville HS back then? I went to WHHS a little later on, during the Jimmy Foster years

Got to meet Clyde Mayes finally

Mar 25, 2017, 10:02 AM [ in reply to Re: I'm just a little young to remember Roche and Riker ]

when he was inducted to the SC Athletic Hall of Fame the same year as my dad. He's a great guy

Mar 25, 2017, 12:16 AM

Have to hand it to them tonight. There defense was lights out and a technically beautful beat down to watch. I'll give them a cock-a-doodle-do on this one.

You mean the Jerry McGuire Era?***

Mar 25, 2017, 1:09 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Mar 25, 2017, 3:02 AM

Don't leave Kevin Joyce out Was two rows back when the fight with Maryland began. Lefty went on the floor to protect his players and got pushed down on the scorers table and given a fist full of he!!
Am Clemson all the way, but sc basketball was special at that period of time.

Mar 26, 2017, 8:04 AM

Remember the picture in the State next morning with a SC player holding Lefty while Riker? Took a swing? Those teams Coach McGuire had were fun to watch. He was a classy guy. Had a son Frankie with developmental problems. Coach and his daughter were terrific with that young man

Mar 26, 2017, 10:06 AM [ in reply to Re: You younguns don't remember how good USUC BBall used to be ]

> Don't leave Kevin Joyce out Was two rows back when
> the fight with Maryland began. Lefty went on the
> floor to protect his players and got pushed down on
> the scorers table and given a fist full of he!!
> Am Clemson all the way, but sc basketball was special
> at that period of time.

Maryland was getting it handed to them and started the fight.

Ribock's most fervid adventure came two weeks ago during a spectacular mass brawl that prematurely ended the South Carolina-Maryland game with 4:52 remaining. Early in the evening Maryland's Sparky Still had—injudiciously—punched Ribock in the back. No retaliation was forthcoming at that point, but when the fight broke out—involving both benches, spectators and numerous state and local police—Ribock pummeled another Terp player. Maryland Coach Lefty Driesell attempted to mediate, unwisely shouting at Ribock, "You're crazy, you're crazy." Ribock connected twice on Driesell's face, bruising his lip and cheek. After the game Driesell threatened retaliation when the teams meet at College Park and said that McGuire was "crazy" if his team "even sets foot in our state."

I loved watching Ribock play. That scu team should have won it all.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apparently, none of those teams made the sweet 16

Mar 25, 2017, 4:15 AM

much less the elite 8. I'm all for making this years team look like "not that big of deal", but young or old, this is by far the best performance the ##### have ever had on the hardwood.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 25, 2017, 5:24 AM

I was a huge Roche, Owens, Riker, Ribok and Cremins fan and wanted to go to SCAR in 1969. In spring 1970, I received a letter from Clemson saying they still had room if I wanted to attend, and my Dad told me Clemson was a better school. I decided to go to Clemson and never regretted it.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Tiger Band 70-74

Mar 25, 2017, 8:38 AM

It may have been early 1970. The player for Temple that was killing SCAR was a guard named Tom Wieczerak.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Tiger Band 70-74

McGuire was also a cheat of the highest order...

Mar 25, 2017, 7:45 AM

He also campaigned for the University to leave the ACC when the league wanted to enhance its academic standards for student-athletes.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Re: McGuire was also a cheat of the highest order...

Mar 25, 2017, 8:05 AM

McGuire arrived at Usuck with a bad name and did nothing to improve it while he was there! He left UNC after their first run in with the NCAA. Remember the point shaving? The heels don't like to talk about their first title!!!

Re: McGuire was also a cheat of the highest order...

Mar 25, 2017, 8:12 AM [ in reply to McGuire was also a cheat of the highest order... ]

I was watching SCAR losing to Temple at the Palestra in 1969 because a Temple player had already scored 40 points on the coots and there were about 10 minutes left in the game with the coots down 7 points. McGuire substituted Bobby Carver for Cremins and within seconds, Carver and Temple's leading scorer were both ejected for fighting. SCAR ended up winning by 7 because Temple had no offense for the rest of the game.

Tiger Band 70-74

You're talking about these guys?

Mar 26, 2017, 8:09 AM

These guys would come in last in the SEC today.

http://www.thestate.com/latest-news/y31hco/picture18091658/ALTERNATES/FREE_640/gyf9Z.So.168.jpeg

Replies: 31
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic