Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
I don't see Greg Buckner joining Clemson's Basketball staff.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 22
| visibility 1,956

I don't see Greg Buckner joining Clemson's Basketball staff.

Mar 23, 2017, 1:57 PM

I like Buckner and suggested him as a possibility for the job last year and was roundly criticized. But, I don't see him coming to Clemson as an assistant for two reasons:

1) Brad Brownell is on thin ice and MAY not last past next year. I personally think he has at least two more years in DRad's eyes, but it may not be convincingly apparent to Greg.

2) Brad Brownell may likely feel threatened by his presence. That is the main reason. I don't think Brad would agree to it as an option.

Contrary to the hopes of many on this board, I don't see Brownell making any meaningful changes to his program. They will likely be minor/superficial if at all.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

What makes Buckner a particularly strong candidate?

Mar 23, 2017, 2:04 PM

I'm asking seriously.

He might be a great college coach if given a chance, but what has he done to provide any level of confidence?

NC State hired favorite son Sidney Lowe with lots of NBA experience and zero college cred and it was a disaster.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Avery Johnson was hired at Alabama and he's burning it up.

Mar 23, 2017, 2:11 PM

There are examples on both sides of the discussion. There's no way of knowing for sure, obviously, but Greg has NBA knowledge having played for 12 years and coached for 6. He also has an intellect, confidence and a charisma that, coupled with his NBA experience, would serve him well in recruiting.

Get the talent first. Coach and scheme the talent up second.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Avery was a HC in the NBA, has Greg been a HC in the NBA?***

Mar 23, 2017, 2:32 PM

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That's why you'd bring him on as an assistant

Mar 23, 2017, 3:00 PM

at the college level. It may never happen, but I think he'd be a great addition to the staff if changes are made. Recruiting is about relationships, and he has the charisma to build those.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

that's all well and good, but comparing him to Avery is a

Mar 23, 2017, 3:09 PM

bit of a stretch

I think the comp is more about an NBA guy

Mar 23, 2017, 3:10 PM

with no recruiting experience coming in and recruiting well

And my point was that Avery is a better coach***

Mar 23, 2017, 5:39 PM

Avery is a proven NBA coach recruiting well now

Mar 23, 2017, 7:10 PM

we have no idea what kind of head coach Greg could be. But he's a veteran NBA assistant, so why not teach out to him?

Reach***

Mar 23, 2017, 7:10 PM

I have no problem reaching out to Greg, I just think it was

Mar 23, 2017, 9:20 PM [ in reply to Avery is a proven NBA coach recruiting well now ]

a bad comparison...Yes, they BOTH worked in the NBA, but one guy was a HC , the other a player development coach

Well, we certainly could use some player development***

Mar 23, 2017, 10:23 PM

sure we do, but it doesn't make the comparison any more

Mar 23, 2017, 11:58 PM

valid

Re: Avery Johnson was hired at Alabama and he's burning it up.

Mar 23, 2017, 7:16 PM [ in reply to Avery Johnson was hired at Alabama and he's burning it up. ]

At Clemson he had a charisma on the court. Given his love of Clemson, he would make a dynamic salesman for the program. His NBA ties would be an asset. I remember when he was here. I got a feeling that Brownell would feel threatened by him but it is about the good of the program .

if you define burning it up losing to brownell by 13***

Mar 23, 2017, 7:48 PM [ in reply to Avery Johnson was hired at Alabama and he's burning it up. ]

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I don't see Greg Buckner joining Clemson's Basketball staff.

Mar 23, 2017, 2:31 PM

yawn

March 4th 2016- "Lee won't be here 4 years from today" - Viztiz

Reason 2 was my first thought before I read entire post

Mar 23, 2017, 7:17 PM

Agree 100%

NO FARMERS NO FOOD

Re: I don't see Greg Buckner joining Clemson's Basketball staff.

Mar 23, 2017, 7:30 PM

We need to face some facts . If Brownell is going to be around after next year, some real changes have to be made. I've looked over the incoming class . It's his best yet but it's a stretch to expect them to make major contributions next year. The other ACC schools are signing better talent. Brownells current assistant coaches aren't good recruiters. You can be great teachers of the game but the talent on the court matters. Hire two great recruiters first then worry about the coaching. I hope Drad forces him to do this. Get involved in the AAUs much more. Adapt
a style that makes a exciting product on the court. With no real changes, how is Brownell going to survive next season?

I don't think Brownell's job status should matter to Buckner.

Mar 23, 2017, 8:45 PM

Being an assistant here would give him a great opportunity to coach on the college level and learn the ropes. He would work hard for his alma mater. And it certainly wouldn't hurt him when it comes to getting on another staff in the future if he found himself looking for a job.

Why would Brownell feel threatened by him?!? Brad has been a head coach for 15 years. I don't see why a first year assistant on the college level would intimidate him. If anything, he might be hesitant to take on someone like Buckner who knows nothing about being a college coach. My guess is that Brad would like having a former NBA player and assistant who is also a Clemson alum on staff.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Re: I don't think Brownell's job status should matter to Buckner.

Mar 23, 2017, 8:58 PM

Why would Brownell feel threatened by Buckner or any other great assistant coach? He may not admit it but he knows that a large portion of this fanbase wanted him gone . You can see this on websites across the internet even on Facebook. Drad kept him for some inexplicable reason and hinted on changes in his statement. Buckner was a very good player and charismatic person. If Brownell doesn't have a miracle season next year, we might still keep the good recruiting assistants and get rid of Brownell. Let's see what changes Brownell makes . Is he willing to do whatever it takes to change the culture at Clemson.

Why would we bring in Buckner when

Mar 23, 2017, 8:54 PM

there is a former Clemson player with many years coaching experience:

Treeeeeeeeeeee!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

And Tree has a degree now as well

Mar 23, 2017, 8:59 PM

earned it last year. He's in his sixties though, so probably a little late.

Too bad. I always thought he would have been an interesting choice

His players certainly always looked up to him!

Mar 24, 2017, 7:27 AM

:)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 22
| visibility 1,956
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic