Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Think Hunter Johnson will be starting by Auburn game?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 33
| visibility 1

Think Hunter Johnson will be starting by Auburn game?

Feb 27, 2017, 12:26 AM

You may be right, just my opinion- however I know there are others who have thought the same.

Who's to say that Bryant has improved on his downfield passing game enough to feed a big group of hungry standout Wide outs? Who can say with assurance that Z. Coop will pass the Johnson in Spring practice? IMO, Johnson at a legit 6'4,200lbs, accuracy, mobility yet a cannon and precise pocket passer - could likely step up in Auburn game, maybe in rotation against Malzon's Auburn Tigers. They have their JCO QB now. At Clemson, The QB battle is not only about athleticism, but an entire package. If Johnson plays like He did in the Under Armor Game when his number is called, He will be in strong consideration for future snaps. Didn't Watson show signs of brilliance against UGA to Peake for a TD in 2014? Maybe Johnson does the same. Of course, spring came will let us know, but unless the above mentioned changes, Z Coop has some skills and an arm, Kelly would make a solid tight end, just saying-if he can't make the throws and reads, and you might see Johnson come off the sidelines for a quarter in the Auburn game.

ATech

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Based what happened with Stoudt-Deshaun in 2014,

Feb 27, 2017, 1:00 AM

Kelly Bryant will most likely start the season opener barring injury or an unexpected change of position. Hopefully the coaches don't play seniority and just play the better QB.

Maybe they learned from that.***

Feb 27, 2017, 8:11 AM

Re: Based what happened with Stoudt-Deshaun in 2014,

Feb 27, 2017, 9:21 AM [ in reply to Based what happened with Stoudt-Deshaun in 2014, ]

I really hope we don't make the same mistake we made with starting Cole Stoudt. I think it cost us a victory that year.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Based what happened with Stoudt-Deshaun in 2014,

Feb 27, 2017, 9:26 AM

^^^^^ this ^^^^^ Totally got to agree that going in if DW4 knew he was getting the starter, the outcome would have been different.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Maybe. He played almost the entire FSU game, but

Feb 27, 2017, 9:31 AM [ in reply to Re: Based what happened with Stoudt-Deshaun in 2014, ]

Stoudt did short arm an easy TD pass on (i think) the first drive of the game that ended in 0 points after a botched FG. Dumb mistakes cost us that game more than anything.

Had DW4 not broken his collar bone and missed spring ball,

Feb 27, 2017, 10:40 AM [ in reply to Re: Based what happened with Stoudt-Deshaun in 2014, ]

he might have proven to be the starter. We'll never know,but those acting like the coaches made the wrong decision based on what transpired need to give it a break. If anything,Chad's inability to TWEAK his his offense to fit the QB he had cost us a game,not who started. JS.TE & BS did more with Cole in 3 weeks than Chad did in 4 years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zuRXXr1PRfU

The idea that our coaches are smarter than Tigerboard

Feb 27, 2017, 12:04 PM

members collectively is ludicrous.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: The idea that our coaches are smarter than Tigerboard

Feb 27, 2017, 12:29 PM

While our coaches are very good, even they would like a "do-over" every now and then. I have seen lots of opportunities missed from week to week when I was playing, and the coaches see them, too. They make adjustments all the time, if they are good, and as good as our coaches are, they are no exception. They get almost all of it right, I'm sure, but even they make errors from time to time and wish they had called a different play or formation, etc. Even Nick Saban.

accept it Stoudt wasn't good enough to be a starter...

Feb 27, 2017, 1:15 PM [ in reply to Had DW4 not broken his collar bone and missed spring ball, ]

Morris did tweak the offense for Stoudt by calling more short passes and calling less deep balls and passes going to the middle of the field. So please drop this silly narrative about Chad Morris. He played a huge role in getting the program to where it is. And now Stoudt is making his own success as an assistant coach.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Think Hunter Johnson will be starting by Auburn game?

Feb 27, 2017, 5:20 AM

I hope Kelly has gotten really good sitting behind Deshaun. If he doesn't start I've heard others mention TE but I think he would make a great RB that could run wildcat or just be a run/pass option threat as a second QB/RB threat.

Hunter and Chase are going to be great QBs it's just crazy how blessed we are at the QB position, I can't imagine another team being more blessed. I hope the kid from Summerville Dykron doesn't go to the coots. Wish he was a Tiger too....lol

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We keep getting better & better everyday, in every way!
“The only disability is a bad Attitude” Dabo Swinney!!
Let’s Go Tigers!

Feb 27, 2017, 6:25 AM

I think Copper wins this job in spring and holds on to it for the year. Too many people here are enamored with stars. Had Cooper not suffered that knee injury late in his HS career, he would have been one of the top 5 QBs in the country and every team would have given him an offer.

Also, Johnson is not Deshaun. He has all the physical tools, but he struggled with decision making at the HS level. I thino he will need a little more coaching before he is ready to see the field in meaningful game.

The player that too many people are dismissing is Brice. He has a great arm, football IQ, and size, and is a much better athlete than people realize. Don't be shocked if he pushes for this job.

Feb 27, 2017, 6:48 AM

Cooper was the #4 rated QB in his class.

That is with him missing time his junior season/coming back from that injury his senior season.

"Cooper pass Johnson" umm- Cooper is ahead of Johnson

Feb 27, 2017, 8:26 AM

heading into Spring-- I do fully expect Cooper to pass Bryant quickly(though the coaches won't make it sound that way) in the Spring and to be the starter this fall. Johnson/Brice- one will probably RS.

meant for the OP***

Feb 27, 2017, 8:26 AM

Re: "Cooper pass Johnson" umm- Cooper is ahead of Johnson

Feb 27, 2017, 8:43 AM [ in reply to "Cooper pass Johnson" umm- Cooper is ahead of Johnson ]

I don't have much inside knowledge but I have friend who's son played football at Clemson a few years
ago that still has some contacts around the program tells me the staff is really high on Cooper at this point.

Feb 27, 2017, 9:21 AM [ in reply to Re: Think Hunter Johnson will be starting by Auburn game? ]

Did you go to Hunter's games? Just curious what makes you think he struggled with decision making in HS? Not a recruiting expert but you don't get ranked the #1 QB recruit if you have issues with decision making. He's been studying our playbook and working with the WR's ever since he committed to Clemson.

IMO the only reason that Hunter doesn't get the job is seniority. Dabo does have that tendency which I understand to some extent if it's a close call you give the nod to seniority, but if you're not as good...

I think others that have posted about Chase is also correct - don't count him out.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 27, 2017, 10:19 AM

Basing this off of completion percentage and td/int ratio. The kid is the #1 qb in the country because his arm strength and athletic ability are off the charts. He did really, really well in the camps.

Upon first reading your question, I said "no way". But after thinking

Feb 27, 2017, 6:32 AM

Upon first reading your question, I said "no way". But after thinking about it, I will say that anything can happen however unlikely. However I think him starting would be the result of ZC being injured and out of commission.

I'm in the camp that thinks ZC has more than 'some skills'. I also think KB will be given an opportunity in the Spring.

Lastly my opinion is based on knowing no one on the inside, not watching more than 2 minutes total of film on YouTube, and transitioning to a diet low in grains and higher in monounsaturated fats.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If you had spent the night at Holiday Inn Express you would

Feb 27, 2017, 7:21 AM

be golden!

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Upon first reading your question, I said "no way". But after thinking

Feb 27, 2017, 8:07 AM [ in reply to Upon first reading your question, I said "no way". But after thinking ]

In the spring game, I would love it if they let KB throw it every time. Literally every time, just like Texas tech in the Mike leach days.

I also wish the qb's were live in the spring game. It's a completely different game when the QBs aren't live. They can sit in the pocket with no worries of getting hit, and they can't really run either. You can never gauge how good a qb is in a "two hand touch" scrimmage.

Feb 27, 2017, 9:24 AM

The last time we made the QBs live in the spring game one of them tore an acl.

Brad Brownell: more losses than any other coach in school history.

Feb 27, 2017, 9:27 AM

Ghee Whiz - I didn't remember that. Makes sense though.

Feb 27, 2017, 10:53 AM [ in reply to Re: Upon first reading your question, I said "no way". But after thinking ]

No no no. We weren't live that game where swag tore his acl. He was untouched. I was there.

Feb 27, 2017, 12:01 PM

I was talking about Tony McNeal.

Brad Brownell: more losses than any other coach in school history.

Feb 28, 2017, 12:51 AM [ in reply to Re: Upon first reading your question, I said "no way". But after thinking ]

I was talking about this throw/game in OP ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ou_6nweow8

Not much more than wild speculation at this point.

Feb 27, 2017, 7:37 AM

I know it's fun and we are all dying to see how this all shakes out, but seriously trying to project anything about players who have never taken a single snap at Clemson, or have only taken very limited snaps in very controlled circumstances, is just silly.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Feb 27, 2017, 9:07 AM

the staff is super excited about Cooper. Brandon Streeter gushes over him anytime he gets a chance. I expect Cooper to come in and be the starter. I think he's going to be a good one

Feb 27, 2017, 11:29 AM

I remember Tajh didnt look very good at the end of 2010 but worked his butt off during the off-season and 2011 was our guy. Kelly Bryant could have that kind of off-season, who knows. If I had to put money on it, I would say it is a close race between Cooper and Johnson but it would not surprise me to see Bryant take a step forward.

Feb 27, 2017, 10:21 PM

Take sure did look good in the last few minutes of our bowl game that year. I remember wondering why he didn't play more after the miserable year parker had.

uh Johnson has to surpass Bryant and Cooper..

Feb 27, 2017, 1:10 PM

Both have been with the team, Johnson stepped on campus. And Bryant has been named starter going into spring practice.

I don't know, but I don't think so.

Feb 27, 2017, 1:10 PM

We are all just guessing though. We all know very little about H Johnson other than his ranking basically.

Feb 27, 2017, 1:14 PM

game situation; score will determine what coaches do.If we are up by 14 @ the half and moving the ball then I do not expect any changes. If however we are DOWN @ the half and not moving the ball then Johnson probably starts the second half!Just my 2cents worth

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 28, 2017, 12:41 AM

I agree, game situation. Up by 14, but on who's arm?

I appreciate all of the feedback on the OP. Don't agree with all sentiments, but doesn't matter. We all just want to see our team win. We will, and The QB will be an integral part of that.

On Kelly: Seniority will get start unless he has a horrendous spring, which I don't see. He's spent two years under Watson's wing. Can he now read, throw downfield instead of run option 45 plays a game? Don't get me wrong, Kelly is a dynamic athlete, but with the fortune of the Programs' success over the last 8 years, we are now getting the pick of the litter in QB's, some might say.

Which brings us to Johnson, first, the Z Cooper. Why? 5 stars, #1 rated QB in the nation, size, mobility, accuracy, natural pocket passer, could set records with Clemson's re-loaded WR core. Maybe Bryant will surprise us all. Not likely though after not winning the job from Nick last year. So, naturally the doubt is there.

Then IMO, brings us to Z. Cooper: 4 star QB, Whom posses most of the same skills, but we haven't seen enough game time yet. The same would apply for Johnson. With Cooper's size, strong arm, and working on mobility also as a student under Deshaun, I suspect it will come down to those 2 to start after the second week against Auburn.

Replies: 33
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic