Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Donte Grantham and Gabe Devoe are averaging 1.5 and 2.5 pts
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 39
| visibility 1

Donte Grantham and Gabe Devoe are averaging 1.5 and 2.5 pts

Feb 22, 2017, 10:11 AM

a game over the last 4 games with each having ZERO points in two games. They are shooting 12.5% and 21% respectively. They are juniors. Donte was rated the #75 prospect in the country and Gabe was #121.

That is not the kind of player development we hoped for from this staff.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Somehow OP is to blame for this

Feb 22, 2017, 10:13 AM

;)

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Donte Grantham and Gabe Devoe are averaging 1.5 and 2.5 pts

Feb 22, 2017, 10:19 AM

Definitely not the greatest development but We were Devoe's only ACC offer. His best offer beside ours was butler. Next best was probably UNCW.

I think it's time for a change, but I have seen great player development under Brownell.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

At times i think it's debatable whether Butler or Clemson is

Feb 22, 2017, 10:20 AM

the better offer. :)

I have not seen great player development under Brownell.

Feb 22, 2017, 10:37 AM [ in reply to Re: Donte Grantham and Gabe Devoe are averaging 1.5 and 2.5 pts ]

Who would you point to as examples of great player development under him?

He's signed 26 players. KJ and JB are two that developed. The overwhelming majority did not.

2010 Corey Stanton
2011 Devin Coleman, Bernard Sullivan, TJ Sapp, KJ McDaniels, Rod Hall
2012 Jaron Blossomgame, Landry Nnoko, Adonis Filer, Jordan Roper, Josh Smith, Demarcus Harrison
2013 Patrick Rooks, Sidy Djitte, Austin Ajukwa, Ibrahim Djambo
2014 Donte Grantham, Gabe Devoe, Avry Holmes
2015 Ty Hudson, Legend Robertin, Shelton Mitchell, Marquise Reed
2016 Scott Spencer, David Skara, Elijah Thomas.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

31% of the 26 players signed transferred out before

Feb 22, 2017, 10:49 AM

completing their eligibility and 31% were transfers into the program from another school.

That's not all that unusual

Feb 22, 2017, 11:05 AM

You're cherry picking, once again.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It's just a simple fact.***

Feb 22, 2017, 11:13 AM

Think how bad they would have been without CBB's..

Feb 22, 2017, 10:57 AM [ in reply to I have not seen great player development under Brownell. ]

x's and o's expertise.

Re: I have not seen great player development under Brownell.

Feb 22, 2017, 11:33 AM [ in reply to I have not seen great player development under Brownell. ]

No doubt Blossomgame and KJ developed very nicely here.

If you look back at the skill their freshman year and when left i will include the following:

Rod Hall 2*: Ended up being a pretty decent ACC PG by the time he left.
Landry Noko: Was absolutely awful down low his freshman year and improved greatly over his time her
Sidy Djitte: Didn't look like he belonged on a BBall court his freshman year.
Avery Holmes: Has a MUCH better shot this year than last year.
Thomas, Reed, and Mitchell: Have all improved greatly over the course of the year.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I was a fan of Rod Hall's and thought he got slighted by his

Feb 22, 2017, 11:48 AM

coach and fans. His points and assists actually declined between years 3 and 4. He was a pretty good three point shooter, but he only took 2 a game. http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/56630/rod-hall

Landry seemed to plateau in year two(I actually thought he would be an NBA player after year two), if he kept progressing. Unfortunately, his point progression was minimal after year two and his rebounds actually declined. In years 3 and 4 he became foul prone and never fully realized his potential. http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/61837/landry-nnoko

Sidy is averaging 5.9 points and 7.3 rebounds in his senior year. Not bad. Great player development? Probably not. http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/66122/sidy-djitte

Avry Holmes numbers have actually declined since his sophomore year. http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/62043/avry-holmes

Thomas, Reed and Mitchell have improved offensively so far this year. Their defense is suspect.

Some of those, it could be argued, are good player development, certainly not great player development. Throw in our won loss record and it's hard to argue that player development is his strength.

Re: I was a fan of Rod Hall's and thought he got slighted by his

Feb 22, 2017, 11:58 AM

Landry's minutes also declined after his sophomore year, so actually his PPG went up per minute on the court, and his rebounding was stagnant or increased minimally.

With Sidy the fact that he is even on an ACC court is impressive with his skill set that he came in with. He was a project from the start, so any improvement has been all development. He didn't develop into an All-Star but he has certainly been serviceable (aside from end of game defense).

You mean Avry Holme's numbers declined when moving from the West Coast Conference to the ACC? No way!

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

whoa the f up....

Feb 22, 2017, 9:47 PM [ in reply to I have not seen great player development under Brownell. ]

Landry Nnoko is in the Italian pro league.

Rod Hall fielded offers from a European league as well before deciding to try football.

TJ Sapp plays in France.

Filer, Rooks, and Corey Stanton all transferred out but then underwhelmed in lower leagues than the ACC.

Ajukwa is getting significant minutes for Charlotte (27) and putting up 12 ppg in a far easier league.

Upshot: the guys that transferred didn't have ACC talent. The guys that stayed developed.

The guys he's brought in lately have better ACC talent: Elijah Thomas, Marquise Reed, Sheldon Mitchell.

Somewhere along the line you're going to start assessing the facts

BEFORE making meaningless statements.

Rather than no development, the real problem has been a lack of depth in talent. We NOT too deep....

Feb 22, 2017, 7:52 PM [ in reply to Re: Donte Grantham and Gabe Devoe are averaging 1.5 and 2.5 pts ]

I have to admit that if you can see great player development under CBB, then you have a much keener eye than I will ever have. I'll need some help to see it. Prolly just not watching long enough to see it.

Devoe

Feb 22, 2017, 10:26 AM

played good last night...may not have scored much but he at least had some energy and played good defense on a handful of occasions. Grantham hasn't looked good this season. He looks lethargic and not enthused at all.

I think we should move to a bigger line up:

Sidy @ Center
Thomas @ PF
Blossomgame @ SF
Reed or Holmes @ SG
Mitchell @ PG

We aren't winning with what we have put out there and our offense looks lost most the time, I think we should just go big and pound it inside.

Devoe was late on the rotation on the winning shot.***

Feb 22, 2017, 10:38 AM

Re: Devoe was late on the rotation on the winning shot.***

Feb 22, 2017, 10:53 AM

That's completely false. You are talking about the shot before that, however, defenses are beat on passes like that nightly when you move the ball around.

The winning shot was when Reed was screened and Djitte didn't step up and instead played the roll guy.

I believe you are correct.***

Feb 22, 2017, 10:58 AM

because that's EXACTLY what happened...I don't know where

Feb 22, 2017, 11:40 AM

you got Devoe from...Did you just make it up?

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Switch to decaf

Feb 22, 2017, 11:56 AM

tigerz04 and I addressed this before you got out of bed this morning.

don't take it out on me just because you were COMPLETELY

Feb 22, 2017, 3:33 PM

wrong about the end of the game

Don't take it out on us that you have been completely wrong

Feb 22, 2017, 7:23 PM

about Coach Brownell and that you remain a bigger fan of Coach Brownell than you are of Clemson University and our Basketball Program.

I'm a bigger fan of Clemson Basketball than you are...You

Feb 22, 2017, 7:46 PM

were whining about the wrong player not rotating...Did you even watch the whole game? Didn't sound like it... How many games have YOU even been to this year? I go to most if not all and have for DECADES...I don't need some idiot dumper that can't get his facts straight and doesn't go to 1/10 the games I do telling me who the #### I pull for more...I KNOW who I pull for guy

Don't you love it when people go berserk over things

Feb 22, 2017, 7:51 PM

that don't matter.

"Here we go Brownell, here we go!" clap! clap! clap!

Don't you love it when people don't know what happened at

Feb 22, 2017, 7:54 PM

the end of a loss so they just make #### up..."Bad rotation Gabe"

No...no he wasn't...What game were YOU watching?***

Feb 22, 2017, 11:15 AM [ in reply to Devoe was late on the rotation on the winning shot.*** ]

The one where we lost to Virginia Tech

Feb 22, 2017, 11:23 AM

Again.

Reed was screened in the game I watched,apparently you

Feb 22, 2017, 11:39 AM

missed it huh?

Feb 22, 2017, 10:32 AM

It seems as if both have just lost all confidence in themselves. It does not make sense to me. I have watched both play great.

Feb 22, 2017, 10:38 AM

Unless I've missed something, they don't seem to have deficient shooting mechanics. They just don't have the innate ability to hit shots with ANY consistency. Also have seen them miss gimme layups too frequently. Last night Devoe missed one when he went under the basket for a reverse when he should've just gone up strong on the left side and at least maybe drawn a foul. Lack of good court IQ.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

the only good politician is a dead politician.

Feb 22, 2017, 10:53 AM

After watching Grantham regress since his freshman season, I'm starting to really question whether Milton Jennings and Devin Booker's lack of development over their careers had more to do with the man in charge than their lack of talent.

That's a fair question. Confidence seems to be a common

Feb 22, 2017, 11:00 AM

denominator with this staff regarding player development(or lack of confidence).

Thanks for only bracketing the last 4 games

Feb 22, 2017, 11:03 AM

As per usual, you only look at the portion of the data most convenient for your point. Both of those players have gotten better since they got to Clemson.

Also, this point is much easier for you to make when you ignore guys like Blossomgame or Djitte who've made huge strides since they got to Clemson.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It demonstrates that our junior players are not playing well

Feb 22, 2017, 11:19 AM

when we need them the most. They have disappeared. This is the time when your upperclassmen, if developed properly by year 7, should be performing at their best.

I also listed all 26 players(and mentioned KJ and JB as examples of great player development) that he has signed so anyone can choose the players they feel are demonstrative of the great player development under Coach Brownell.

There are reasons we are performing so poorly in year 7 whether you want to admit it or not.

Feb 22, 2017, 11:16 AM

Both are our biggest disappointments during the course of this season with their consistent poor shooting....

Feb 22, 2017, 11:42 AM

If you saw consistent poor shooting last night I was tuned to another channel.

Feb 22, 2017, 12:00 PM

Devoe and Grantham went a combined 1-10, the rest of the team went 25-53.

If you read his post you would have noticed the "their" prior to the poor shooting.

Feb 22, 2017, 12:15 PM

Grantham hit a 3 during the second half. It was definitely his first point of the game and I was shocked that he actually made a 3, after what seems like months of missing.

Sir, can you please try, at least try,

Feb 22, 2017, 7:47 PM

to stop running down a man who has given his all to our school? He doesn't deserve internet nimrods making it their life's mission to point out his failings.

to suggest that these performance have anything at all

Feb 22, 2017, 9:35 PM

to do with "player development" is ridiculous.

These players haven't regressed, they've fallen off the map.

This isn't lack of progression so much as lack of confidence and execution.

Some people will blame "coaching" for everything...

Replies: 39
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic