Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Throwback: Brownell's 6 year extension a gamble for CU(link)
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 9
| visibility 1,379

Throwback: Brownell's 6 year extension a gamble for CU(link)

Feb 22, 2017, 9:10 AM

Brad Brownell's six-year extension is a gamble for Clemson

Jeff Eisenberg
The DaggerMay 23, 2014, 1:08 PM

For a coach has been a modest but hardly overwhelming success during his four-year tenure, Brad Brownell sure seems to have the support of his administration.

Clemson rewarded Brownell for making the NIT semifinals this past season with a six-year contract that reportedly pays him $1.55 million next season and escalates to $2 million by the end of the deal.

What's even more significant than Brownell's salary is the hefty buyout figure in his new contract. According to Rivals affiliate Tigers Illustrated, Clemson would pay Brownell $5 million if it fired him now, $3.5 million if it fired him with three years left on his deal and $3 million if it fired him during the contract's final two years.

Such an unwieldy buyout figure essentially binds Clemson to Brownell for the majority of that six-year deal. Things would have to go terribly wrong for the Tigers to either pony up the cash necessary to oust Brownell or find a group of donors willing to fund his departure themselves.

"Brad has done a tremendous job building a solid foundation for our basketball program," athletic director Dan Radakovich said in statement released on Friday. "I have the utmost confidence in Brad to continue to build as we compete in the nation's best basketball conference. We're excited to have him lead our program into the future for a long time to come."

The timing of Brownell's extension opens Radakovich up to criticism should things go wrong because he was under no pressure to make such a long-term commitment. Hiring season in college basketball basically ended already, and no elite programs pursued Brownell anyway.

While Radakovich would surely point to Brownell's 10-win improvement last season and the signing of top 100 prospect Donte Gratham to headline Clemson's 2014 class, a wait-and-see approach still might have been more prudent.

Brownell's defense-oriented approach has yielded a 74-58 overall record, a 32-36 ACC record and one NCAA tournament bid, a one-and-out appearance in 2011 when Brownell was in his first season and was coaching players recruited by predecessor Oliver Purnell.

That's a solid first four years at a football school whose subpar facilities, modest fan support and lack of hoops pedigree makes it one of the ACC's most difficult jobs. Still, it's not so eye-popping a start that other athletic directors are beating down Brownell's door trying to lure him away.

With K.J. McDaniels leaving for the NBA draft and no other double-digit scorers returning, there's certainly no guarantee Clemson will be able to build on last year's 23-win season.

If Clemson shows further progress, expect Brownell's approval ratings to continue to be strong. But if Clemson backslides, expect Tigers fans to experience some buyer's remorse.

- - - - - - -

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaab-the-dagger/brad-brownell-s-six-year-extension-is-a-gamble-for-clemson-170817710.html

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Best Is The Standard

Looking back, we should have been all out.***

Feb 22, 2017, 9:14 AM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Throwback: Brownell's 6 year extension a gamble for CU(link)

Feb 22, 2017, 9:24 AM

When is he going to install the defense minded approach.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 22, 2017, 9:28 AM

he said earlier in the year he cant get them to play D.that was pretty much all I needed to hear right there with regards to CBB

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

??***

Feb 22, 2017, 9:32 AM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 22, 2017, 9:39 AM

With that kind of buy out in $$$$, I suggest we as Clemson Fans get behind Brad and the team and give them all the support we can. Fill up LJ every home game. If you don't want to use your tickets leave them at the "Will Call " window and I will use them.

Unless someone wants to write BB a big check IMO we need to get behind the program and show our Tiger's support.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

A gamble !? It was unbelievably stupid that what it was !!***

Feb 22, 2017, 10:24 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Feb 22, 2017, 10:38 AM

So how much are we paying him this year? I only see the $1.55MM escalating to $2.0MM in 2019-2020 referenced. Is it safe to say $1.75MM this year (2016-17)? And $1.85MM next?

That puts him roughly in the top 30 from published lists: http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salaries/mens-basketball/coach/

I do not see the argument that we have not "invested" for a winning program. That argument holds no water -

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 22, 2017, 10:53 AM

Year Annual Salary Clemson Buyout Agreement Brownell Buyout Agreement
2014 - 15 $ 1.55 $ 5.00 $ 1.50
2015 - 16 $ 1.65 $ 5.00 $ 1.50
2016 - 17 $ 1.70 $ 3.50 $ 1.00
2017 - 18 $ 1.80 $ 3.00 $ 0.90
2018 - 19 $ 1.90 $ 3.00 $ 0.50
2019 - 20 $ 2.00 $ - $ -

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Wasn't hiring Dabo a big gamble?

Feb 22, 2017, 11:12 AM

Lucky for us that worked out the way it did. Clemson #### itself in the foot by extending Tammy Bowden contract and the buyout was quite pricey....so the default was give Dabo a shot since money was an issue. Seems to me a similar situation only I can't imagine we could expect to have the luck we did with Dabo....

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 9
| visibility 1,379
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic