Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Interesting take on college hoops coaching expectations ...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 13
| visibility 1,322

Interesting take on college hoops coaching expectations ...

Feb 21, 2017, 9:50 AM

"WHY DOES THE MEDIA HATE NC STATE?"

The prevailing attitude seems to be that they are “delusional” to think that N.C. State could ever challenge Duke, UNC and the rest of the national elite. They ought to be content with mediocrity – especially the mediocrity that Herb Sendek brought in his decade at the helm.

The last time N.C. State had a coaching search, (there was)an article for CBS Sports titled: “N.C. State Must Realize It’s the Ugly Duckling” and argued that Wolfpack fans should accept their second-class status and be grateful for an occasional NCAA appearance.

The complete article is well worth the read:

http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/2017/2/20/14666072/why-does-the-media-hate-nc-state-ac-basketball

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Great read and completely agree....why be satisfied

Feb 21, 2017, 10:30 AM

with simply being ok

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Great read and completely agree....why be satisfied

Feb 21, 2017, 11:49 AM

and we have never been OK with BB players

NC State basketball reminds me of

Feb 21, 2017, 11:03 AM

Clemson football.

They want to recapture thier past glory. Now they need their Dabo.

I think we are like Duke in football. With the right coach, we can win. But that's hard to find. And when certain visiting teams show up, there will be an awful lot of that teams fans in the stands.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Which means... we need our Spurrier for basketball

Feb 21, 2017, 11:09 AM

Because he won a conference championship at Duke.
(But not at USC bahaha)

Re: Which means... we need our Spurrier for basketball

Feb 21, 2017, 11:16 AM

We do not need a older coach! Clemson needs to hire a smart, diligent coach who can recruit. We are lower tier in the ACC, but our program has tremendous potential with the right person in charge. While the job might be more challenging, there is no long term reason why Clemson cannot succeed in basketball.

Feb 21, 2017, 11:20 AM

Brad was young when we hired him. Being around this group has prematurely aged him. ;)

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

What's wrong with an older coach as long as he is still

Feb 21, 2017, 11:21 AM [ in reply to Re: Which means... we need our Spurrier for basketball ]

energetic and enthusiastic?

I'd take an older coach if he could get our hoops program jump started.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aspiring member of the TigerNet Sewer Dwellers

Bob Knight...come on down!***

Feb 21, 2017, 12:54 PM

null

Agree, it's working for Miami right now***

Feb 21, 2017, 1:12 PM [ in reply to What's wrong with an older coach as long as he is still ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

Feb 21, 2017, 12:37 PM [ in reply to Re: Which means... we need our Spurrier for basketball ]

> We do not need a older coach! Clemson needs to hire a
> smart, diligent coach who can recruit. We are lower
> tier in the ACC, but our program has tremendous
> potential with the right person in charge. While the
> job might be more challenging, there is no long term
> reason why Clemson cannot succeed in basketball.

After a hundred years of being near the bottom of the ACC in basketball, what makes you say we have " tremendous potential"

Clemson hoops reminds me more of Wake football than Duke

Feb 21, 2017, 12:42 PM [ in reply to NC State basketball reminds me of ]

Duke was actually a national power in football at one time. Granted it was a long, long time ago, but they have a bit of status and tradition on the gridiron to harken back to.

Clemson basketball has an overall status that is very similar to Wake Forest football.

Well, even that isn't a perfect analogy since Wake Forest has actually won the ACC in football.

Good read ...And accurate.....Those of us old enough to

Feb 21, 2017, 1:29 PM

remember Everett Case (and then Press Maravich) also remember when NCSt WAS the big dog in the ACC....And then along came Norm Sloan with David Thompson---IMO still, (save Alcindor/Jabbar) the greatest college basketball player I've ever watched---had the NCAA not changed the dunking rule specifically because of Alcindor/Jabbar which lasted through most of Thompson's years in Raleigh, #44's career would be one long extended highlight film.....And that was just before the Valvano years

State's history and basketball tradition is long and impressive despite the slings and arrows thrown their way by younger detractors from chapelhill and Durham....And stupid journalists

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

long/impressive history, but it's just that... old history

Feb 21, 2017, 3:25 PM

kinda like us :)

they haven't been really good in a long time...

last regular season 1st place finish in the ACC was 1989, last tourney championship was 1987

totally agree about Thompson DT and Michael Jordan were the best basketball players* i've ever seen in person... and if i were picking a college all-time team, i'd probably pick DT over MJ

{*but Piston Pete was the best shooter/scorer}

Replies: 13
| visibility 1,322
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic