Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Does anyone use Kodi?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 25
| visibility 1

Does anyone use Kodi?

Feb 20, 2017, 11:41 AM

Been using it for a few years now.
Where I live in Pelzer we are up on a pretty high hill. Right at 900', so when I got laid off in 2009 I dropped all of our cable except Charter Internet, pointed an old UHF\VHF antenna towards Wofford and antenna hill. Since all "over the air" antenna arrays are digital now my reception is better that even HD Cable was.

For everything else I use Kodi. Sports, MotoGP, Formula One, premium channel content, etc...
If you are so inclined you can find a bunch of install videos on youtube.
Best of all the Kodi app is free.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Does anyone use Kodi?

Feb 20, 2017, 11:44 AM

Been using Kodi and my fire stick for 3 years. Will never go back to cable and never understand why people still pay for it.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution." - Abraham Lincoln

Feb 20, 2017, 11:48 AM

I'm right there with you. It does require a lot of patience however.
I've found that Exodus is about the best channel simply because when one link doesn't work it will automatically drop down to the next until it finds a working link.
I wish all of the channels did this.

Feb 20, 2017, 11:49 AM [ in reply to Re: Does anyone use Kodi? ]

I have it but I havent found where I can get a dependable live sports stream for all major events.

Feb 20, 2017, 11:59 AM

Yep, that's still a hit & miss type of deal.
But... As it gets more and more popular it will probably be better in the near future.

I have a daughter that lives in Naples. Her and her husband get every channel known to mankind.
A lot of subscription holders don't know this but most of their accounts have 6 to 8 "family" type of accounts under it for no extra $$ that they can set up. Since all I care about watching "live" is sports she set me up with one of them so I can watch all of the ESPN, CBS Sports, Fox Sports live.
I mentioned Naples because it's a long way away. But I've never had any problem nor has she from me being here in the upstate and my IP not matching her locale.

I use Sportsaccess...

Feb 20, 2017, 12:04 PM [ in reply to Re: Does anyone use Kodi? ]

It's $39 for a 3 month sub...any and ever game of any sport in HD...it also has all the channels like ESPN, ID, CBS, HBO, Starz....completely worth it

"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution." - Abraham Lincoln

Re: I use Sportsaccess...

Feb 20, 2017, 12:05 PM

Thanks, I'll pass the word around to my other "off the grid pals."

Feb 20, 2017, 4:31 PM [ in reply to Re: Does anyone use Kodi? ]

How does one find out exactly which channels, etc. one can watch? The web page just shows a bunch of "affiliates" which are not familiar.

TIA

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Watch a few YouTube vids***

Feb 20, 2017, 4:42 PM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 20, 2017, 12:02 PM

Do you happen to know anything about the Roku ultra? My wife went out and bought one bc someone was telling her that we could go with just basic cable/internet, and we could get all the premium channels. Now that she has this Roku thingy, she can't get it working, and I told her before she bought it, that I didn't know a thing about installing electronics onto anything and I never have!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 20, 2017, 12:08 PM

I'm sorry I don't. Fire sticks work well and so do the Raspberry Pi devices.
Have you tried youtube? There are always 90 to 130 people posting "how to's" on just about everything.

Feb 20, 2017, 12:16 PM

Yes I watch movies on youtube a lot bc I have a smart TV, but it's much smarter than I am!!!

Correction Antenna pointed towards Furman

Feb 20, 2017, 12:14 PM

Not Wofford. From Pelzer, Furman and Asheville are about lined up. Asheville has stations that the Furman array doesn't have.
So a 2nd antenna isn't needed.

I had several Android TV boxes on my Amazon wish list

Feb 20, 2017, 12:29 PM

that today say "This Title No Longer Available." There were hundreds of them on Amazon... now just a few remain. I'm afraid a crackdown on pre-installed Kodi sources is in the works.

Re: I had several Android TV boxes on my Amazon wish list

Feb 20, 2017, 12:41 PM

That could be. I finally gave up running it on Android tablets.
About once a week the app would just die and required a complete re-install, registries, zip files, etc..
It got to be too much.
The Windows interface works good, especially with Krypton out now.

I hate to be "that guy", but using Kodi is theft

Feb 20, 2017, 12:56 PM

You might as well go run a cable to your neighbor's box. It's no different.

All of the content Kodi users are watching had to be produced and almost always at very expensive costs. The costs of the content is spread among users. When people decide the use outlets that circumvent the price of the entertainment they enjoy, their share becomes a burden upon those that don't cheat the system.

Content providers have listened to customer complaints about excessively high prices and have made much more affordable options available. You can get every ESPN game through a service like Sling TV or Playstation Vue for around $40/mo. That's a huge drop in price and frankly should be affordable for almost every person that reads this board.

One more word for thought. When revenue streams dry up enough the content won't be available to anybody. I don't watch ESPN except for live games and you have to admit that it's pretty awesome to be able to watch any game being played. That costs a lot of money and your Kodi isn't supporting it one dime.

Rant over.

Re: I hate to be "that guy", but using Kodi is theft

Feb 20, 2017, 1:06 PM

No actually it's not. Well not entirely.

Kodi broadcasts OTA material just like the networks do, minus commercials.
I've seen all of the "Last Man Standing" episodes that the network does not re-broadcast.
Even with ABC Go you can't find them more than one season back, and that's a paid subscription.
There are some channels that do broadcast subscription content, but not all that many.
ESPN gives free rights 30 days after broadcasting a football game.
That's why you can see any of them on YouTube.
Really Kodi is a tool of convenience more than anything.

Many aspiring artist's freely give their music to channels like Jango and Digital Music with the hope of getting noticed.
Not saying there isn't any pirating going on as I know there is, but I chose not to view that content.

Feb 20, 2017, 1:43 PM

I sort of agree with NTG on this. I have Directv and Charter internet, so I watch just about anything I want to. However, I also have an OTA antennae that picks up some channels that I am pretty sure Directv does not even include in the 100's of channels that I subscribe to. Some of those stations play some really old stuff that's interesting to watch for us ol' timers. Not sure about the Kodi setup though, but I have several friends that use that. I use Netflix for movies and series, etc.

That said - Directv(AT&T) is very pricey, so I might make a change when my contract runs out.

Correct. It's legal (and probable) reason for existance

Feb 20, 2017, 3:12 PM [ in reply to Re: I hate to be "that guy", but using Kodi is theft ]

Is for ease of access to unlicensed material. But just like torrent sites the majority of users use it as a way to get something for nothing. I'm glad to hear that you use it for legal purposes though.

Feb 20, 2017, 1:49 PM [ in reply to I hate to be "that guy", but using Kodi is theft ]

SlingTV is a rip....

You are only saying this because you pay for cable, so way to be that guy. If more people understood how much these media companies suck as Dish or DirecTV are ripping people off then streaming wouldn't be necessary.

Feb 20, 2017, 3:13 PM

Kodi is a media player, nothing more. The media you choose to play on it is up to you, same as Windows Media Center or whatever.

Concerning the cost of content production, I have no problem watching commercials. In fact, watching sports via ESPN on Playstation this past season was awkward without 'em.

What's really theft are "providers" like DirecTV, etc charging a premium for minimal content with commercials that's already disseminated via means other than satellite.

The model has shifted, and people have shown they'll happily pay what something is worth, such as it is with people paying for reliable, live ESPN, or the pay-per-view market. Likewise, networks have long since known garnering quality, exclusive content will let them sell advertising for a premium.

Those companies who don't recognize and utilize emergent tech can get lucky and absorbed by Sony or some such, like about 30 record labels in the 00's, or unlucky and blow off like dust in the wind, which seems to be what DirecTV is trying to do.

If you don't like being called a thief, then don't steal

Feb 20, 2017, 3:34 PM [ in reply to Re: I hate to be "that guy", but using Kodi is theft ]

I don't care so much about me paying when others aren't. I just don't particularly care for people stealing in general. When the Napster lawsuit came out I totally understood where Metallica was coming from. They want to get paid just like everybody else that puts in work.

I pay $40/mo for PS Vue to get Braves games and college football. The wife spends $10/mo for Netflix. With as little TV as I watch I still can't complain about access to almost everything I could want to watch for less than $2 a day. For me the value justifies the cost. If not, I wouldn't pay for it, but I definitely wouldn't search out ways to get it for free.

Dish and DirecTV are totally ripping people off with their antiquated pricing system. It won't be long until cable TV is priced a la carte, getting rid of the glut of channels that nobody watches. Then I believe there will be a way to get exactly what you want for exactly what you are willing to pay.

something tells me you don't hate it at all***

Feb 20, 2017, 3:18 PM [ in reply to I hate to be "that guy", but using Kodi is theft ]

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I bet you volunteered for hall monitor in elementary school***

Feb 20, 2017, 5:57 PM [ in reply to I hate to be "that guy", but using Kodi is theft ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

Yep. It's great. Youtube is your friend***

Feb 20, 2017, 3:54 PM

i use it as a media server/organizer

Feb 20, 2017, 5:07 PM

does a great job sorting and organizing music and video from different sources. Converted from the old XBMC.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 25
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic