Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
I think this is the last season for Coach B....
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 9
| visibility 2,007

I think this is the last season for Coach B....

Jan 22, 2017, 9:04 PM

just not good.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Good luck with that

Jan 22, 2017, 9:12 PM

I'm not sure our administration will press the button, and I'm not sure if they're just too loyal or if they just really don't care to improve our basketball program.

they will if enough people with hold money

Jan 22, 2017, 9:18 PM

either by reducing giving or not buying basketball game tickets.

Brownell played a significant role in obtaining donations and funding for the new facilities.

Jan 22, 2017, 11:35 PM [ in reply to Good luck with that ]

He worked tirelessly behind the scenes since early on in his tenure to make these new facilities a reality. I believe that Radakovich felt it was only fair to let Brownell coach in them. This is why he didn't seem to even entertain the idea of firing Brownell after last year.

While one year isn't much time to benefit from the new facilities, especially when it comes to recruiting, I feel that Radakovich is going to have to pull the trigger and let Brownell go after the season. I'd love to see us rally and turn the season around, but I just don't see it happening.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Re: I think this is the last season for Coach B....

Jan 22, 2017, 10:09 PM

I love basketball, but this team is painful to watch. No poise at all in the last 2 minutes of a game. Doesn't that reflect on the coach?

In my opinion, BB is gone after this year. I WAS a big supporter of Brad, no more. My patience has run out!

Re: I think this is the last season for Coach B....

Jan 22, 2017, 10:26 PM

Coach Brownell likely recognizes the situation all to well. Even if we make the NIT I believe he needs to quietly find another job. The biggest concern would involve holding onto his next class of recruits. His tenure has been akin to that of Coach Bowden; close but no sustained success. We need a coach who sees opportunity with a new facility and who is willing to build over several seasons with real desire to change a culture and succeed.

Go Tigers!

Brownell has never desired to reverse our BB heritage of limited success. I for one want our record and standing to change over the next ten plus years, but only with resolve and a great coach. Find an up and coming one who will work!

My perspective over the last 40-some years

Jan 23, 2017, 12:52 AM

I attended Clemson 1975-79. The Basketball team was strong but on probation as we know. Great expectations for Football were stomped flat by Alabama and other powers like Tulane and we endured 2 terrible seasons. But under Charlie Pell, Steve Fuller and of course Danny Ford fortunes changed and we were very proud to have won the Gator Bowl in an era when it meant something.
The year I graduated the announcement came that Georgia Tech was invited to join the ACC (and SC was rejected from re-joining the league). Our thinking at the time was the GT basketball program (which had a very similar legacy to ours) would most likely get better. About 2 years later they hired Bobby Cremins and the rest as they say is history. GT shot to the top and quickly won a coveted ACC Tourney and a Final 4 trip. Many GT fans had hardly seen a home loss for many seasons because they did not go to the games until Cremins started winning.
At the same time the schools who formed the Big East gained power and long time mid-level programs became national contenders (St. Johns, Villanova, Georgetown, DePaul, etc). For example, DePaul's Ray Meyers was Head Coach 40-some years but had nationally ranked teams only at the end of his career.
My point is: A big difference between Clemson and the GT / Big East programs was they were all in large cities. I think it has been difficult for "small town" schools to get basketball stars to come to their programs, Why? I don't know. I think bb stars expect a lot of individual attention since they generally have gotten that most of their lives - probably because of their size. Also, players from cities may be wary of small towns - too many B Movies.
Coach Brownell is up against a strong tradition here. I hope he can solve it. I know he wants to win more than we can imagine.

agree 100% with your first paragraph

Jan 23, 2017, 2:07 AM [ in reply to Re: I think this is the last season for Coach B.... ]

but bb's work ethic and desire to win are not a problem..he is a tireless worker and passionate abotn his program..but quoting the old football adage, "it's not about the x's and o'; it's about the jimmys and the joes."..we just dont have the talent to win consistently in the acc.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

GoTiguhs!!

Really?

Jan 23, 2017, 1:52 AM

What did I miss?

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

i despise this annual debate and will not comment beyond

Jan 23, 2017, 1:58 AM

this thread..but college basketball has the clearest measure of success in college athletics..making the tournament..a successful major college program dances more often than not.

i like brownell and think he is an excellent tactician and proven winner at the mid-major level..but the numbers that matter are very bad and dont look to improve in the shortterm.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

GoTiguhs!!

Replies: 9
| visibility 2,007
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic