Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
VT went out and hired a big time coach in Buzz Williams
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 10
| visibility 1,910

VT went out and hired a big time coach in Buzz Williams

Jan 22, 2017, 7:01 PM

away from Marquette a few years back and look at their program? Auburn hired Bruce Pearl as well. Why can't Clemson do the same thing? Instead of hiring a coach from small conferences, I wish DRad would go out and hire a big time name once BB is canned.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Us hiring Buzz was about right place right time

Jan 22, 2017, 7:08 PM

We got really lucky to get involved with a coach like Buzz. It was pretty much public knowledge that he wasn't real happy at Marquette and frankly Marquette wasn't real happy with him anymore. Both sides needed a change. You can win big with coaches from smaller conferences though. Coach K came from Army. You guys got Purnell from Dayton. Jim Larranaga at Miami came from George Mason.

There are good coaches out there all over the place. The big thing is to not get too enamored with a guy who had a good season or two. I'd rather hire a guy who did a solid job for 6-8 years somewhere rather than someone who had a great year or two.

Re: Us hiring Buzz was about right place right time

Jan 22, 2017, 7:32 PM

Looks like y'all gettin ready to put those dancin shoes on.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

the only good politician is a dead politician.

How about Earl Grant ?

Jan 22, 2017, 11:33 PM [ in reply to Us hiring Buzz was about right place right time ]

He is doing good over at CofC ... we have good luck with Coaches from there ....

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

This post is far too rational for TNet!

Jan 23, 2017, 1:25 PM [ in reply to Us hiring Buzz was about right place right time ]

TU

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

When we look for a new coach, I hope that we will get

Jan 22, 2017, 7:35 PM

someone with excellent success at the high major level. We haven't done that in the past except for hiring Rick Barnes away from Providence. Why? Because we are too caught up in being a "football school" and haven't been willing to support basketball. I am optimistic with the new leadership that we have come to our senses and will make the right hire when the time comes.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

How did we end up with CBB again?

Jan 22, 2017, 7:39 PM

Just wondering why we thought he was the guy? Serious question. I am not talking trash. I am just wondering.

He was reportedly our third choice.

Jan 22, 2017, 8:56 PM

At that time, we weren't committed to basketball and everyone knew it. We weren't willing to pay a top salary and our facilities were outdated. These issues, in addition to historically being the worst ACC basketball program, makes it hard to get a proven high major coach. Thus the reason we hired a mid-major coach.

Now, we can do better because I think our administration is committed to being a good basketball program.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

He's the best we could get...with a team that had been to 3

Jan 23, 2017, 2:13 AM [ in reply to How did we end up with CBB again? ]

straight NCAAs...Let that sink in

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Our facilities were crap and we weren't willing to pay much.

Jan 23, 2017, 10:53 PM

The fact that we had made three previous NCAA Tournaments mattered very little in comparison.

Re: Our facilities were crap and we weren't willing to pay much.

Jan 23, 2017, 11:09 PM

I was told that BB was the 4th man offered the job.

We know for a fact that Rick Sansbury was the 1st choice and turned the job down.
Al Skinner formerly of Boston College was approached and declined.
Mike Young from Wofford was interviewed but withdrew, not sure if he was offered.

But for sure Sansbury and Skinner were offered and declined before BB accepted.

Replies: 10
| visibility 1,910
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic