Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Why do the media and fans alike believe Clemson won't be back next year?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 18
| visibility 1,612

Why do the media and fans alike believe Clemson won't be back next year?

Jan 22, 2017, 2:40 PM

They always point to DW leaving and breaking in a new QB.

I guess relying on a great D, an experienced O-line, and talented skill players can't get a team back, despite a learning curve for a new QB??

True freshman Jalen Hurts and Alabama say hello.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Why do the media and fans alike believe Clemson won't be back next year? P

Jan 22, 2017, 2:49 PM

We very well could be back. The chances though are slimmer than the last two years though, so I can see their point of view. DW is a huge loss and his skill set/ talents will be missed on the field. However, without no disrespect, we did win 10 games with cole Stoudt. Clemson very well could get back into the playoffs with 10 wins In my opinion.

Jan 22, 2017, 3:04 PM

We won't be in the playoffs with 10 wins.

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Jan 22, 2017, 3:11 PM

It's circumstantial, 2 losses with ACC championship win is set plausible.

You aren't wrong

Jan 22, 2017, 2:50 PM

I give you a plus 1 for that. But the other teams all have experienced QBs returning to run their offenses.

Would we have been as successful with any of our backups running the offense ... no, of course not.

Could we return -- YES!! For all the reasons you state. But the QB situation is a big unknown for us -- and that uncertainty pushes us down the list a bit.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“Clemson wasn’t that much better with Trevor Lawrence, if at all.”

Re: Why do the media and fans alike believe Clemson won't be back next year?

Jan 22, 2017, 2:51 PM

If the 0-line and D-line really stand up then I think we have a chance. 0-line has to be really be strong to give the new Qb time to make the reads.

Jan 22, 2017, 2:53 PM

Is Hunter Johnson an early enrollee?

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 22, 2017, 2:58 PM

yes

Brad Brownell: more losses than any other coach in school history.

Jan 22, 2017, 3:08 PM [ in reply to Re: Why do the media and fans alike believe Clemson won't be back next year? ]

The same media that said we would lose to Louisville?
The same media that said we would lose to Ohio St?
The same media that said we would lose to Alabama?
The same media that voted for Lamar Jackson as the Heisman trophy recipient?
The same media that said the SEC was the best conference for the first half of the season?
The same media that said the B1G was the best conference for the second half of the season?
The same media that batted ZERO on every major storyline on the season? That media?

Who cares what that media says?

The same reason Clemson fans say other teams won't be good

Jan 22, 2017, 3:01 PM

When they lose a lot, and their fanbase thinks they will be. Bc the fan base keeps up with recruiting and believes in the coaches, and from the outside looking in they just see that DW4 and cast are leaving without knowing what is behind it bc they have never seen it

I don't think they think they we would have made it with..

Jan 22, 2017, 3:02 PM

a QB like Jaylen Hurts.

Re: I don't think they think they we would have made it with..

Jan 22, 2017, 3:13 PM

Alabama lost a lot of good players on both sides of the ball. They are still pre ranked #1, mainly because of their name. You lost Robinson, Howard, Kirven and Dieter on offense. Allen, and 5 other starters off the defense. I haven't seen their schedule, but they are still being hailed as king of college football. I believe Clemson will win 10+ games again this year. The defense is stacked, and the offense is loaded with talent. Fuller and Feaster (and choice) will shoulder the load at RB, Overton/Powell/Thompson along with Renfrow, Cain and McCloud (as well as Higgins and Rodgers) will keep the sticks moving through the air WHICHEVER QB starts and Clemson has FOUR very good talents to fight for the job. I think we will still hang around the top 10.

FSU loses a couple of key offensive players but brings back a good defense minus Walker. Leweyville loses 7 starters on offense, so you can count on LJ to be running for his life again this year. Miami, VT, and UNC losing their quarterbacks as well. Can't expect the media to know much except what they hear or what they read in steele's magazines, which we all know is rarely accurate when it comes to Clemson.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

They think D Watson was a one man wrecking crew.

Jan 22, 2017, 3:54 PM

I don't think we get enough respect for how great the rest of he team will be and how loaded the Tigers will be next year outside of QB.

I'm hoping for something like when Peyton Manning left UT...

Jan 22, 2017, 3:08 PM

An inexperienced, (somewhat) unheralded backup came in and won them a national championship.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 22, 2017, 3:08 PM

Now you know even if DW4 was returning the media would still be disrespecting us. I'm pretty sure we are already on upset alert as well. ?? If they are saying we won't make it back that just makes our chance even greater. Haha

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It's a realistic viewpoint considering our unquestioned

Jan 22, 2017, 3:30 PM

offensive leader, at the most important position QB, and two-time Heisman finalist is gone.

However, like Dabo has managed every year since 2010, I would expect us to finish the season ranked higher than the pre-season rankings.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No DW in 4th qtr. - L'ville, NCSU, FSU potential loses.***

Jan 22, 2017, 3:36 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 22, 2017, 5:18 PM

I believe when the dust settles after Spring practice,Dabo will have us a qb who can at worst "manage the game." Leaving it up to our play makers on offense and defense to win games.And at best a qb who will surprise the nation again and leave them wondering how did Clemson get another great signal caller. I have no doubt Clemson will be back in the playoff hunt at the end of the year.
GO TIGERS!!!

but Jalen Hurts plays in a cupcake conference

Jan 22, 2017, 5:21 PM

I agree with you though. If we get decent QB play then we will be in the hunt. Defense may be Top 5 this year. Need to fill the leadership void that Ben is leaving but I got a feeling we have some guys that can fill that role. Talent and experience wise we should be great on defense!

Replies: 18
| visibility 1,612
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic