Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Great Moments in Gamecock Football - From the Records Book
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 4
| visibility 1

Great Moments in Gamecock Football - From the Records Book

Jan 22, 2017, 6:15 AM

How could we have forgotten this doozie, from the "Unbreakable Embarrassments" Section

Most Possession Time in a Quarter, Ever

Record Holder: Auburn
Record Amount: 15:00 minutes (2006)

Auburn entered Williams-Brice Stadium ranked No. 2 in the country in 2006, tasked with beating a scrappy band of upstart Gamecocks in Steve Spurrier's second year at South Carolina.

The Tigers led 14-10 at halftime and started the first possession of the third quarter on their own 7-yard line. In 17 plays and 8:26 of game time, they drove down the field and stalled at the South Carolina 7-yard line, scoring on a 25-yard field goal.

Head coach Tommy Tuberville was not content with a mere seven-point lead, so he drew up an onside kick that Auburn recovered at its own 48-yard line, with 6:13 left in the quarter. It would drive on 12 plays to the South Carolina goal line and be stuffed on third down, successfully having run every single play in the frame. Kenny Irons punched in a touchdown on 4th-and-goal on the first play of the fourth quarter, helping Auburn win the game.

Gamecocks lower the bar yet again, with an untoppable display of clock management ineptitude for the record books.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Hey, they only got outscored by 3 in the 3rd qtr.

Jan 22, 2017, 8:20 AM

Sounds like a moral victory to me.

Gooooo Sorta Respectable in That Game... Cawks!!!

~JKB

And former coot Kenny Irons scored the TD!***

Jan 22, 2017, 8:41 AM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I just love that this years game was the worst loss ever,

Jan 22, 2017, 9:37 AM

by an SEC team, to an ACC team! 56-7 BABY, chew on it coots!!!

Kenny Irons has a very interesting back story

Jan 22, 2017, 11:10 AM

If you remember Kenny Irons was playing back up to Demetruis Summers, who was the top rated recuit in SC that year out Lexington High School at running back. Summers had a history of smoking the piece pipe and continued his ways at USuC. Lou Holtz, the man of character he promoted himself to be, was manipulating the drug testing and had Kenny Irons peeking for Summers who couldn't pass a drug test own his own since he was 12 years old. Kenny Irons, threatened to blow the lid off the whole thing, if he wasn't given an out right release from his scholarship so he could transfer to another SEC school. Holtz concocted a back story that Irons had a bad attitude and refused to take the field during mop up duty by pretending to be hurt. Holtz allowed the out right release but publicly framed as getting rid of a malcontent. We all know how this story ended. Summer's eventually was kicked out of USuC for failing a drug test and Irons went on to have a very solid career at Auburn. It makes me sick when I hear the hippocrit Lou Holtz giving one of his character speeches when he is really a just a win at all cost scumbag coach. As an adult Summer's troubles continued and he eventually ended up in prison. Instead of holding this kid accountable with suspensions and proper discipline, the opportunity to possibly turn this kids life around was thrown away for a win at all cost culture.

Replies: 4
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic