Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
There are many issues with this basketball team,
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 22
| visibility 1,636

There are many issues with this basketball team,

Jan 19, 2017, 11:50 PM

but we still suffer from a lack of talent.

I said when Brownell was hired that his biggest challenge, and the one thing that would determine his success or failure more than any other thing, was recruiting. I stand by that. Purnell was able to recruit a certain type of player that played what basically amounted to a gimmick, albeit a gimmick that at times gave opponents fits and took us to a new level of post season success, but was ultimately decoded and figured out. It did not require highly talented basketball players, which Purnell felt he simply could not attract to Clemson, and he eventually maxed out. First-round of the NCAA, but that's it.

Improvement and progress after Purnell meant advancing past the first round of the NCAA tournament. Seven years later, and six years since our last trip to the dance, we find ourselves merely hoping to get asked back. So much for progress.

I've heard a lot about how much talent we have this year. I agree it's the most we've had in a while; certainly more depth and balance, but we are still far short of having the kind of talent that progress post-Purnell required. I would even agree that Brownell isn't getting the best out of this team, and that they are probably better than they showed tonight; but the bottom line is they just aren't that good, and they are indeed a 1-5 ACC team. And that is the problem, the limiting factor. It's what is holding us back. It's the main reason there has been zero progress under Brownell.

Do I expect us to go out and sign a top-10 class full of one-and-dones? Of course not, and I wouldn't want us to. Do I really think we can recruit head-to-head with UNC and Dook and Kentucky and Louisville? Absolutely not, at least probably not in my lifetime. But, do I really think we can do better than Purnell did here and occasionally advance past the first round of the dance? Without question. Am I crazy enough to believe that we can recruit at a higher level than Brownell has (and Purnell did)? Absolutely we can; in fact, we must! Setting the bar any lower than that is to accept total defeat and completely give up on basketball at "The University Of Clemson" ;) .

Yeah, we don't block out, and our perimeter defense is non-existent, and our shot selection sucks, and on and on, but one thing has not changed, and that one thing has got to be the singular focus of the basketball program going forward.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

We have talent but no cohesion

Jan 19, 2017, 11:54 PM

You are correct in that we don't have the talent of the teams around us, but when you throw in the lack of on court discipline and fundamentals, which is actually surprising for a Brownell team, you get this. His less talented teams played together far better than this group.

Looking like a lost cause.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: We have talent but no cohesion

Jan 20, 2017, 7:43 AM

Amen. So bewildering.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I agree. As I asked last year about this time, are we willing to pay for that coach?

Jan 19, 2017, 11:55 PM

We can't try to save money, or be afraid that we are going to hurt the football program. We must capitalize on these great new facilities and the fact that the ACC is the best basketball conference. I am willing to do that, but I would wager that most of the Clemson fans who whine about Brownell and our basketball program are not willing to.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

BOT will make that call, not the fans

Jan 19, 2017, 11:58 PM

with the extra revenue and publicity from the National Championship maybe this is finally the time

I feel like the administration and BOT are often an extension of the fans

Jan 20, 2017, 12:01 AM

and that scares me when it comes to basketball.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

This is why Brad moving to another job

Jan 20, 2017, 12:06 AM

is the best case for all involved. If the season tanks like it looks it is doing, save face and do the right thing. I don't think Brad is one to hang around just for the money

Brownell understands exactly what is happening better

Jan 20, 2017, 12:39 AM

than anybody. His inability to get us over the hump has been due to a lot of things, but at the end of the day I still believe he is a great guy and agree that he will do the right thing.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

If the BOT is not committed to basketball why did we rebuild

Jan 20, 2017, 12:13 AM [ in reply to BOT will make that call, not the fans ]

Littlejohn for the second time?

So it could be filled with empty seats?

I'm going to have faith they will do the right thing. Brownell has made more money in his tenure at Clemson than I will in several life times. I don't wish him ill but do not feel sorry for him. He's not getting it done. Period.

Re: If the BOT is not committed to basketball why did we rebuild

Jan 20, 2017, 12:22 AM

I would almost bet they keep him until his contract runs out.
They will not fire him and pay 3 mill.
I just don't see it happening

If we let $3 million stand between us and an improved basketball program

Jan 20, 2017, 12:37 AM

then there truly is no hope for us.

We are either in it to win and be successful, or not.

Jan 20, 2017, 12:06 AM [ in reply to I agree. As I asked last year about this time, are we willing to pay for that coach? ]

If not, then I'm quite serious when I say scrap the basketball program at Clemson.

Again, we may not be in the position of a UNC or Louisville when it comes to what we can or will spend on a basketball coach, but we have got to be prepared to do what it takes to have a good basketball program.

- H. L. Mencken

Re: There are many issues with this basketball team,

Jan 19, 2017, 11:56 PM

After this season Coach B will have wasted two first round draft picks in the last 5 years.
We have had enough talent to do much more than we have done.
Every season the team upsets some very good teams.
Then goes on a long losing streak, if that's not coaching iDK what is

JB isn't a first round pick

Jan 19, 2017, 11:59 PM

The way he's playing he may not even get drafted. He's regressed

Re: JB isn't a first round pick

Jan 20, 2017, 12:09 AM

What ?
Except for the 3s he has been pretty good

You can't play PF in the NBA at 6'7

Jan 20, 2017, 12:13 AM

and you can't play SF if you can't hit a jumper

Agreed. Not only has he regressed in terms of skills and

Jan 20, 2017, 12:10 AM [ in reply to JB isn't a first round pick ]

such, but he doesn't really show any confidence or leadership whatsoever, or the will to take over and dominate a game. All year he has looked like he was just going through the motions to me.

- H. L. Mencken

I really believe he's pressed most of the year

Jan 20, 2017, 12:11 AM

trying to do the things the scouts said he needed to improve on, and it's backfired.

That's what it looks like.***

Jan 20, 2017, 12:13 AM

- H. L. Mencken

Second half he barely touched the ball

Jan 20, 2017, 12:15 AM

it looked like he may have hurt his wrist, don't know. But our offense needs to run through him. And he needs to be willing to do what he does best, get in the lane and score. It's the only chance for A turnaround

Totally agree. He will have to be able to drill the 3 with

Jan 20, 2017, 12:29 AM

incredible accuracy to have any chance in the NBA, and I don't see that happening. However, his strength at this level is as a slasher attacking the rim and driving the lane. He is a very good, effective player at this level when he does that, and most helpful to his team without question. I don't care if he fires 1-2 threes a game just to keep 'em honest, but he needs to be driving and going to the line.

- H. L. Mencken

Also, we are too young, too rural, our basket arena sucs and

Jan 20, 2017, 12:21 AM

what are the other excuses I have read for the last several years ? Oh yeah, no beer at games, Purnell left in the middle of the night ...

Lets get the VCU Coach, Jeff Jones, Charles Barkley ... anybody !

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Leadership***

Jan 20, 2017, 7:47 AM

Replies: 22
| visibility 1,636
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic