Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Member when we lost to Pitt and many
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 26
| visibility 1

Member when we lost to Pitt and many

Jan 18, 2017, 9:52 PM

were just hoping we'd make the playoff?

Be honest, did you think we'd win the championship after the loss?

I'll be honest, I don't know if I've listened to Dabo too much or what but I never thought about our future opponents; it was always 'who's next?' When we got to VT, they worried me just because they were unknown to me. I actually thought Ohio St was going to be tough for some reason and Bama was going to be an easier victory. Boy was I wrong.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Listening to the players, everybody was a lot looser

Jan 18, 2017, 9:56 PM

after that loss. I knew at that point the Pitt game woke them up. Honestly, I didn't have high hopes for the team up until that point. It was like they thought they could just show up and win and that's what the product on the field looked like for most of the season.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Member when we lost to Pitt and many

Jan 18, 2017, 9:57 PM

I thought we would be lucky to win the ACC after losing to Pitt

When we lost ot hurt, but hy bedtime I knew we'd been given new life.

Jan 18, 2017, 10:00 PM

It was a matter at that point in hiw the team responsed, and boy did they respond beautifully.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Great question...

Jan 18, 2017, 10:07 PM

From my perspective I thought we were out played and out coached by pitt. I gave 'em credit. I also sulked and hated the feeling of the loss tremendously. But seeing the hurt in my sons face and eyes after the loss made me step back and think some - to be able to put it all in perspective.

I told him he had to be patient and there was still a lot of football to be played. It was tough on him and me but we toughed out the long ride home. We didn't watch much more football that night as we got home late.

Boy were we both surprised the next morning when Washington and Michigan had suffered the same fate as our Tigers. We didn't revel in their losses as much as in our opportunities. I felt from then on we had the chance and the choice to bring it all home.

The win in Tampa was a thing of beauty and proof to never give up until it is over!

Go Tigers!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Me and my son were bummed too thinking that may knock us out

Jan 19, 2017, 7:59 AM

of top 4 and then went back to camper in Anderson and watched Michigan and Washington lose and celebrated because we knew we had another chance and I told him better to lose this one than one to the chickens! That loss certainly got the teams attention because I thought we played great after that. Still enjoying the championship!!

Message was edited by: Orange®

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Me and my son were bummed too thinking that may know us out

Jan 19, 2017, 9:34 AM

Yep. Walking back to the stadium, I told my kids that it will still be a great year and we will still go to a great bowl. The next day back home in NC, I woke up to a beautiful Sunday morning, made more beautiful when I heard the Mich and Wash scores. I woke the kids up with "Guess what? Mich and Wash lost! We are still in it!" It felt like the season started all over, in a sense. We got a Mulligan. What a great day.

Re: Me and my son were bummed too thinking that may know us out

Jan 19, 2017, 9:48 AM

I was the same way. Could not believe what I woke up to on Sunday!

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 18, 2017, 10:10 PM

After Michigan and Washington lost, it essentially meant nothing.

Jan 18, 2017, 10:37 PM

Left clemson that night dejected. By the time I got home to Atlanta Mich and Wash had lost. It was such crazy timing. In hindsight the loss only helped us.

Never wavered

Jan 18, 2017, 10:41 PM

We were destined. I believed

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The fact that #2, #3 and #4...

Jan 18, 2017, 10:46 PM

...all lost that same weekend ultimately saved it for us. Our fall in the polls was manageable and a strong showing by us in the final stretch would put us back in the catbird seat...because of the O St/Mich matchup primarily. Wasn't worried.

I especially wasn't worried when we absolutely trucked USuCk. The boys were refocused and back on their game and it showed.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

^^^^^^This

Jan 19, 2017, 4:58 PM

NM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-classof1994.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why do dogs always race to the door when the doorbell rings? It's almost never for them.

Jan 18, 2017, 10:49 PM

Yes, I did. I was actually scared that we would have a perfect season and go into the playoffs over confident. The loss was good for us.

YeP..but with #3 & #4 losing..then 56-7..VT beaten for ACC..31-0

Jan 19, 2017, 1:16 AM

I knew 110% then that all was ok! LoL

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Late one night many years ago

Jan 19, 2017, 7:13 AM

I was driving home from Clemson. I had my cruise control set to 76, well within the "8 you're fine, 9 you're mine" rule most State Troopers follow. That's a dang boring drive at 1 in the morning, especially once you get out of the foothills, and my brain as well as my car was on cruise control. So when I hit Columbia and the speed limit went down to 60, it didn't register. And that's when the trooper caught me. When he pulled me over I actually thanked him because he snapped me out of my reverie and made me pay better attention to the road ahead. (It also paid off as he reduced my fine to $50 and said I was the nicest pull-over he'd ever experienced.)

That is what Pitt did for our team. Yeah it stung, but it woke them up and got them out of cruise control.

I was mostly confident after that game we'd still make the playoffs if we won out, but it definitely helped to have #3 and #4 lose that day too.

Jan 19, 2017, 7:42 AM

I thought Pitt had executed one of the best game plans ever...it was outstanding. Granted, we lost any margin for error going forward, but, in hindsight, thank you Pitt for finding the holes and giving V time to repair them. A loss isn't bad if you don't let it beat you twice. Tigers didn't.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 19, 2017, 8:05 AM

I thought we could make the playoffs but had my doubts on whether we were good enough to win it. I agree with the fact that I thought OSU would be a tougher game than Bama. I felt pretty good about playing bama but not Osu.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 19, 2017, 9:47 AM [ in reply to Re: Member when we lost to Pitt and many ]

Agreed! How many times did we see another team try a shovel pass or other technique that worked for Pitt only to get shut down immediately.

After that day's events unfolded

Jan 19, 2017, 11:15 AM

I knew we were still in a good place. My daughter and I decided at the last minute to take our first trip to Wake Forest to see up close how they would respond. It was a 5-hour drive and the coldest, stiffest wind I've ever sat through but their performance was amazing - and we knew we were BACK! Yet another example of how this coaching staff prepares these young men.

I was the only person at the post-game tailgate who was ok.

Jan 19, 2017, 11:22 AM

Everyone kept b!tching and moaning... and I said 'It's gonna be ok, y'all. This is what we need. Deshaun loses 1 game a season. We will still make the National Championship, and we will win. He won't lose another game this season."

BOOM :)

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Photobucket

Jan 19, 2017, 11:54 AM

My conversation that night with the S.O. was that we were hitting tje reset button , and that it may just propel us back to the NCG !
I always , all year long felt that this team was good enough to win it all .

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Ooo I member!

Jan 19, 2017, 12:17 PM

Member Ewoks?

Jan 19, 2017, 3:30 PM

I'll admit, immediately following the loss, I was dejected, because I thought our playoff chances had been blown. I always felt this team was capable of winning it all, if given the chance. For me that was never in doubt. In fact, I had never been more confident about our chances of winning it all than I was this season.

I have always bought into the mindset that Coach Swinney has emphasized. That is, Clemson just needs to worry about Clemson, and play to its standard. It is not about the opponent. I was confident that we were capable of winning every game on the schedule. I was not worried about where a game was being played, what time it was being played, or who we were playing.

This team knocked down some barriers this year:

Win @ Auburn
Win @ GT
Win @ FSU
Blowout of Ohio State
Comeback victory over Bama (despite losing the turnover battle)

As I reflect on these accomplishments, it makes the road to National Title 2.0 that much more impressive in my view.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes the road to the truth is so elusive it's confusing and reality becomes illusion.

Jan 19, 2017, 3:45 PM

That thought didn't last very long once Michigan and Washington lost. We immediately were right back in the drivers seat.

March 4th 2016- "Lee won't be here 4 years from today" - Viztiz

@CU_Tigers_time does

Jan 19, 2017, 5:08 PM

Thats the game he called DW4 a liability.

Jan 26, 2017, 12:41 PM

Yep, I was pissed after the Pitt loss. I felt all year up to that game the team was just showing up and not really focused. I blamed the coaches for their lackluster play up to that game and not having them ready to play the ball they were capable of. The loss definitely hit the reset button for them and woke them up. Hindsight is always 20/20 but now I firmly believe if they had managed to pull that game out like so many others, they wouldn't have had the focus needed to win the NC.

Replies: 26
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic