Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Why the confidence of Zerrick starting over Bryant next year?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 51
| visibility 1

Why the confidence of Zerrick starting over Bryant next year?

Jan 16, 2017, 9:35 PM

What makes everyone think kelly won't be good enough to start.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Why the confidence of Zerrick starting over Bryant next year?

Jan 16, 2017, 9:41 PM

Coaches never let Kelly throw. Theres a reason for that. Kelly has had two years to beat out Nick and he has yet to do it. Zerrick was the best passer on the team not named Deshaun this year in terms of footwork, arm strength, accuracy, and overall potential.

Jan 16, 2017, 11:27 PM

Your an idiot. Nick played good when he came in.

Cole stouts started over Watson.

LOLOLOL

Jan 17, 2017, 9:14 AM

You're***

Calling someone an idiot and can't even get that right.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Clemson has been historically better than Carolina. That's pretty obvious." - Classof09

"No one knew we were overhyped until the season started." - Classof09

Because he couldn't beat out schus and

Jan 17, 2017, 9:40 AM [ in reply to Re: Why the confidence of Zerrick starting over Bryant next year? ]

when he played he didn't throw the ball well or look comfortable running the offense.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Because he couldn't beat out schus and

Jan 17, 2017, 10:57 AM

I want KB to be a great QB for us, but I have yet to see anything that would lead me to believe he can throw the ball as well as needed. He either makes big improvements between now and August or Cooper or Johnson better beat him out (2 THOUGHT SENTENCE). I fully expect Cooper to win the QB spot or at least I sure hope so.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It never has crossed my mind Bryant would

Jan 16, 2017, 9:43 PM

be a starting QB for us and I am still perplexed at why Tucker Israel was even signed.

Re: It never has crossed my mind Bryant would

Jan 16, 2017, 9:48 PM

Remember Ohio State a few years back, Coach Dabo is always looking four steps ahead when its come to personel.

Jan 16, 2017, 10:05 PM [ in reply to It never has crossed my mind Bryant would ]

^^^You ever heard of a QB named Tim Tebow? Well - Tucker broke many of Tebow's records. He can sling it IMO. I am still perplexed as to why he did not play before Bryant. He has to be better than Bryant. I still think his first year injury caused him to be #4 instead of possibly #2 QB for us.

I saw Israel standing on the sidelines at the

Jan 16, 2017, 10:13 PM

Spring Game his freshmen year and until I realized it was him, I assumed he was a back up punter or something. If that guy is taller than 5 9 or 5 10, then he is on his toes. Slinging it in high school isn't slinging it in Div. 1 football.

Re: I saw Israel standing on the sidelines at the

Jan 17, 2017, 12:24 AM

This is the biggest reason IMO. He just lacks the height. He can likely make every throw needed (he sure did in high school), but when your OL are 9" taller than you, never mind the 6'3" DEs with their hands in the air, you just don't have much of a chance.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 16, 2017, 11:25 PM [ in reply to Re: It never has crossed my mind Bryant would ]

great point

Jan 17, 2017, 4:37 AM [ in reply to Re: It never has crossed my mind Bryant would ]

> ^^^You ever heard of a QB named Tim Tebow? Well -
> Tucker broke many of Tebow's records. He can sling
> it IMO. I am still perplexed as to why he did not
> play before Bryant. He has to be better than Bryant.
> I still think his first year injury caused him to be
> e #4 instead of possibly #2 QB for us.

You ever heard of John Wolford? Wake Forest QB? He was the one that originally broke Tebow's record. Israel then broke his. Do you think Wolford would ever start at Clemson?!? Israel has yet to and will never take a meaningful snap at Clemson.

http://jacksonville.com/sports/high-schools/2013-09-21/story/bishop-kenny-qb-john-wolford-breaks-tim-tebows-ne-florida

http://www.floridapreprecords.com/apps/blog/show/42695998-lake-nona-s-tucker-israel-passes-td-record

Jan 17, 2017, 4:40 AM

Second link appears to not be valid any longer, sorry.

Here's another one.....

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/highschool/football/os-hs-lake-nona-tucker-israel-passing-record-20141003-story.html

Jan 17, 2017, 5:07 AM

I disagree, Israel will have a shot and could start. I wouldn't discount the underdog just yet.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We keep getting better & better everyday, in every way!
“The only disability is a bad Attitude” Dabo Swinney!!
Let’s Go Tigers!

Jan 17, 2017, 5:06 AM [ in reply to It never has crossed my mind Bryant would ]

You do realize that Tucker Israel broke Tim Tebow's Florida HS records for yardage and touchdowns thrown , right ? Kid is the all time passing yardage leader in Florida , one of the the top 3 states in terms of division one talent that comes out of it .
I think Israel could start at most other schools he could have gone to .
The kid can play quarterback , go watch his film .

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Jan 17, 2017, 5:26 AM [ in reply to It never has crossed my mind Bryant would ]

I wouldn't be so quick to discount Tucker Israel abilities.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 17, 2017, 12:18 PM [ in reply to It never has crossed my mind Bryant would ]

Israel just came to a team loaded at QB. If we think it was crazy to sign him then what should we do now. We have Cooper, Johnson, TL if he does not flip, so there is little chance you would think that Brice will ever start at CU so why sign him. We sign them because you just never know what will happen look at Korn.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It's based on two things, I think. First, the fact that

Jan 16, 2017, 9:51 PM

Bryant was relegated to 3rd string this past year. Nothing against Scheussler, who played extremely well when called upon, but if Kelly was anywhere close to running the show this coming season, you gotta figure he would have gotten a lot more reps, and would have been ahead of Nick on the depth chart at some point.

Second, there is a strong belief that Kelly struggles to make all of the throws with accuracy.

On top of that, the "word" is that Cooper has a cannon for an arm and can make all of the throws. At least that's what some reliable reporters and "insiders" have indicated after seeing him in practice.

All of that is just talk and speculation at this point, however, and things could develop very differently; that's the reason for the perception though.

And don't forget, many believe Hunter Johnson will challenge both. We'll see.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Patrick Sapp and Andy Headen had cannons

Jan 17, 2017, 10:27 AM

for arms, too.

They ended up being defensive ends.

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Great point. That's why the QB competition will be wide open

Jan 17, 2017, 11:49 AM

come spring. All of this talk is interesting and normal, but it's just that - talk. I don't even think the coaches could say with any certainty how this battle will end up.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Jan 16, 2017, 9:53 PM

It's a bit unfair to compare virtually anyone to Watson but Bryant's passes were almost always overthrown...nothing like Watson. I don't think anyone trusts his arm till they see him prove it.

I hope he does come out slinging it this Spring

I doubt Dabo will impact the load of the responsibility...

Jan 16, 2017, 10:06 PM

of being QB and team leader on a true freshman. I think it's possible that ZC can take the reigns during the season but we should look back and examine our history.

As much as we all knew DW was the future and how much better he was than the next best QB on our team, Dabo refused to start him. Folks contend that it was in favor of a Sr. QB. I didn't think so then and I don't think so now.

There's a lot less room between Bryant and Cooper, no matter which way you consider it, than between Cole and DW. Imo, the best Cooper does is become the starter after a game or two.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I never got DW sitting behind Stoudt for one

Jan 16, 2017, 10:16 PM

snap and never will. You could tell from DW's first pass against UGA that there was no conceivable way the QB that gave us the best chance to win started that game. It is one of the few moves I have ever questioned about Dabo.

Re: I never got DW sitting behind Stoudt for one

Jan 16, 2017, 10:46 PM

Completely agree.... the only exception I give in that cases is DW4's need to put on a little more weight when he first came in.....to sustain the hits he could suffer from running this offense. I think Dabo was just extra cautious with him initially.

If you have an experienced QB who won a game for you versus a true

Jan 17, 2017, 7:14 AM [ in reply to I never got DW sitting behind Stoudt for one ]

..freshman with zero snaps, then you try to win with the experienced guy first before throwing the true freshman to the wolves. Cole struggled, Deshaun got some meaningful snaps, Cole's last chance died in Tallahassee, and the rest is history.

Really it boils down to basis football and coaching. The experienced guy with tenure gets first shot while the true freshman gets to learn the ropes a little bit.

Re: I doubt Dabo will impact the load of the responsibility...

Jan 16, 2017, 11:22 PM [ in reply to I doubt Dabo will impact the load of the responsibility... ]

Cooper will be a redshirt freshman.

As for 2014, if the best players play, then Watson should have been in ahead of Stout. I appreciate Dabo showing loyalty to the senior who had worked hard, but after the Georgia game it was clear DW4 gave us the best shot to win games. We likely win at FSU if Watson played the entire game.

Always happy for Stoudt that he ended on such a high note, beating OU.

I really don't think it was out of loyalty to Stoudt, and it

Jan 16, 2017, 11:42 PM

obviously wasn't about talent. I honestly think Dabo was concerned about DW's mental state and didn't want to put too much on him too early. I think it's obvious now that DW was ready in that regard as well, but I believe that's why Dabo was slow to pull the trigger.

- H. L. Mencken

deshaun sat for awhile because he'd missed all of spring

Jan 17, 2017, 8:47 AM

practice with a broken collarbone. no true freshman is going to be ready under those circumstances. I'm assuming that the many picks he threw this year as a junior is reminiscent of the many picks he was probably throwing in practice as a freshman.

Re: I doubt Dabo will impact the load of the responsibility...

Jan 17, 2017, 12:53 AM [ in reply to I doubt Dabo will impact the load of the responsibility... ]

Agree with all you guys, if Watson gets the first team reps in practice and starts we beat FSU in 2014. Water under the bridge now, I just hope Dabo maybe learned from it. We need our best QB vs. Auburn, and all indications are it's ZC

Jan 16, 2017, 10:23 PM

Word is that Kelley has really struggled learning the offense, going through his progressions, etc...

A lot of people believe that Cooper will be ahead of Kelley by next fall because he's been progressing and learning the offense much quicker.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

exactly

Jan 16, 2017, 11:44 PM

i don't know that kelly bryant was trusted in reading the defense quick enough AND have the accuracy to make the play

Deshaun's passes (perfected the back shoulder pass) was timing and anticipation with his strong arm....and even with that Mel Kiper's of the world question his accuracy

If the staff was truly confident KB was going to be the starter, he would have played this year during meaningful times of some of these games.

Everyone knew this was DW4's last year

ZC is the starter
Hunter and KB will battle for backup
Won't surprise me to see KB moved to safety or RB (depends on filling the vacated '17 recruiting spot)

Re: exactly

Jan 17, 2017, 9:51 PM

You said it all. I think KB is heading for a position move too. If ZC isn't the starter in game-1 I'd be surprised. Also wouldn't be surprised if Hunter Johnson starts before the season is over.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Something about the broad side of a barn...***

Jan 16, 2017, 11:25 PM

If the broaside of the barn is 4 yards away..

Jan 17, 2017, 5:53 AM

he can hit it. He is something like 13 for 18 passing over his career, but only averages something like 4 yards per completion.

if there is a barn in sight, Cooper can hit it.***

Jan 16, 2017, 11:47 PM

Everyone does not think so.

Jan 16, 2017, 11:52 PM

I've been told that the job is Kellys to lose. We will learn a lot this spring.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Very, very happy- very, very proud.

They just say that.

Jan 17, 2017, 4:38 AM

They want to create competition. More than likely it is someone else's to take is more like it. They have to earn it though.

Don't sleep on KB

Jan 17, 2017, 12:36 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwdfWJSvBn8

Re: Don't sleep on KB

Jan 17, 2017, 6:37 AM

I fully believe Bryant will come out of the spring as the starter. Just like with Stoudt, Elliott/Scott will work the game plan around Bryant's skills. Face it. NO ONE has the skill set of Deshaun Watson. Bryant is faster than Watson and they will take it into consideration when working the game plan.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It will be interesting to see game 1. My call...

Jan 17, 2017, 6:44 AM

If Bryant is the starter come game 1, he will be on a very short leash, or we will have QB by committee.

Re: Don't sleep on KB

Jan 17, 2017, 8:16 AM [ in reply to Don't sleep on KB ]

Honestly I'm not that impressed. Watch this video again then go watch Hunter Johnson or Trevor Lawrence's tape.

Fans will fan***

Jan 17, 2017, 7:07 AM

None, zilch. It's all speculation***

Jan 17, 2017, 7:55 AM

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Kelly B is going to be better than DW4 ever was

Jan 17, 2017, 7:59 AM
untitled.jpg(92.1 K)

Kelly B had 27 rushing TDs on 12 carries in 2016. Shame we didn't use Nick S more

Re: Kelly B is going to be better than DW4 ever was

Jan 17, 2017, 9:37 AM

Very impressive statistics by both of those guys.. I must've drank more this year than I thought I did, because I sure don't remember many of those rushing tds by our backup qbs

It will likely be Cooper or Johnson IMO***

Jan 17, 2017, 8:45 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Bryant didn't look good in the Shrine Bowl and

Jan 17, 2017, 9:08 AM

there has been very little improvement since he arrived at Clemson..If he
wants to play at the next level,spring ball is a good time to make the change.

Just POOR passing skills!

Jan 17, 2017, 12:01 PM

Confidence comes from pretty simple reasoning. Coaches on the staff have said they Cooper has the strongest arm on campus...including Deshaun. Has the second best footwork and that is a close 2nd to Deshaun. Coop redshirted because we had viable options in case DW went down. But Cooper could have easily played this year. Have him a year to study under Deshaun, learn playbook and get stronger and faster.

Jan 17, 2017, 12:06 PM

Simple....have you seen Bryant throw the ball. He is pretty much a Jalen Hurts type of player. The reports from the bowl practices are that Z Cooper looked like the best QB not named DW4. Unless Cooper gets beat out by Hunter Johnson I would bank on Cooper being our QB next year

Jan 17, 2017, 12:23 PM

As I stated the confidence in COOPER starting next year is simple. Then listed off reasons. I have been saying since Cooper signed and even after Johnson signed and Lawrence Committed that Cooper is the next starting QB at Clemson. Read post again. K thanks.

Jan 17, 2017, 12:50 PM

Because he was not good enough to be #2 this year

Replies: 51
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic