Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Blackistone: "MLK Would've Frowned on Dabo" (Wash Post)
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 63
| visibility 1

Blackistone: "MLK Would've Frowned on Dabo" (Wash Post)

Jan 16, 2017, 1:11 PM

This is Garbage. And dragging Dr. King into it, is as low as it gets. MLK was one of the greatest Americans every born.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/colleges/martin-luther-king-jr-wouldve-frowned-on-dabo-swinney-profiting-off-of-black-labor/2017/01/15/c022b5ae-db40-11e6-ad42-f3375f271c9c_story.html?utm_term=.444a19de4bf3#comments

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Best Is The Standard

SMH ...***

Jan 16, 2017, 1:14 PM

Opinions are like buttholes ... eveyone has one.

Let's not continue to spread the culture of hate like this charlatan.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I was young, I was sure of many things; now there are only two things of which I am sure: one is, that I am a miserable sinner; and the other, that Christ is an all-sufficient Saviour. He is well-taught who learns these two lessons." -John Newton

Re: SMH ...***

Jan 16, 2017, 2:38 PM

Well Watson, Williams, Leggett, Gallman, Scott, Tankersly, and Watkins will all be millionaires in a few months due to the quality of coaching that they received from this staff. I don't get this exploitation reasoning that all these talking heads like to use. They are basically interns that if they do well will be fast tracked and get a ton of money. The ones that don't make the NFL would have received a free education for their troubles.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's the great irony

Jan 16, 2017, 3:09 PM

Tell these people "well what about he student athletes of other sports who don't get paid, don't get the multi-million dollar locker rooms and endless equipment". They will say that those athletes don't bring in the money.

Ok well which players on the football team are bringing in the big bucks? The 3rd string center? No. It's the players like Watson and Williams who will shortly be making more than Dabo anyway

Re: SMH ...***

Jan 16, 2017, 10:48 PM [ in reply to Re: SMH ...*** ]

Not a NFL business like organization. Don't need the Players focusing on $$$ instead of their education. Possible loosing that social brotherhood type relationship which is develop through teamwork and togetherness all the while loving the success which money can't buy. (Keepon) chasing Dreams Dabo and not the temptations that come with the money of trying to buy a Dream. PS:Build young men with an Education when football and the big money slows or stops, and not the pressure of and 18 year old having to decides which to focus more on (Education for the Future) or the(Money at Hand).

It must suck to be a liberal. So much hate.***

Jan 16, 2017, 1:14 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Re: It must suck to be a liberal. So much hate.***

Jan 16, 2017, 4:10 PM

I didn't find the article particularly hateful. The headline is not very accurate. Even if the athletes were paid a lot then a coach that is paid anything would still be profiting off black labor in a way.

I'm a diehard Clemson fan and love Dabo, but his "entitlement" words were unfortunate. For him to appear to suggest that someone who wants more than $378 a month is acting entitled, when he will make over $6 million this year, well that statement is just going to rub people the wrong way.

That said, I think the era of outrage we live in creates overreactions. And I think Dabo was referring mostly to the attitudes and circumstances of pro athletes rather than college athletes if i remember the full quote. If you asked him if he would support increasing the player stipend he might say yes.

People frequently think of the other side as a polar opposite, when all of us would do well to recognize the common ground a little more.

Re: Blackistone: "MLK Would've Frowned on Dabo" (Wash Post)

Jan 10, 2011, 8:43 PM

Smh.

2024 orange level membermilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 16, 2017, 1:17 PM

I have to say in my own opinion, MLK might have agreed with why Kapenick was kneeling during the anthem but I have to say there is no way he himself would have kneeled during the anthem or supported his decision to do so. There's a difference between standing up for what's right and blatantly disrespecting the country.

2024 student level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 16, 2017, 1:18 PM

Blackstone is a friggin ######.

That's the WaPo way

Jan 16, 2017, 1:19 PM

Teach young black kids to live off the system. Suckle from the ### of handouts, rather than becoming a good, Christian man with a solid family and a respectable job. Dabo has taught these kids more valuable life lessons than Blackistone ever will, and I bet any young man who has come through and graduated wouldn't trade what he got here for an extra $5,000 a year to play for some scumbag like Petrino. But that's what the libs want to turn it into. That's why things like Stephen Garcia happen.

Oh well, they just don't get it. No use in even arguing with them anymore.

Some of you are so ignorant.

Jan 16, 2017, 2:00 PM

I thought lomg and hard as to whether I should reply to this..because time after time either some are so dumb or just outright ignorant..I wonder would my time be useful to explain.

So as far as the article..I am not defending this viewpoint, but I will defend African American liberals like myself. First on this post I read that Dabo has graduated more Black Men than MLK. This is the viewpoint of someone who is either filled with hate..or that person is so stupid to realize how stupid he really is. MLK had influenced Millions of Black and White men like myself ..and to say Dabo ..a football coach has graduated anyone is stupid. Dabo isnt taking a test for these student athletes. I respect Dabo as a good role model but to say he has influenced more kids to graduate is insane. MLK taught myself and others to go out and claim what is ours ordained By GOD. Also he said we should fight for financial injustice. Read the whole I have a dream speech retards. Its a whole lot more than just coning together. MLK had a lot of Malcolm X in him. Second the commment about how someone should be a Christian and etc...half of you dont know what being a Christian man is. Its more than saying I believe in Jesus. You must set the example...If Jesus came back today he would tell us that any misfortune we have we deserve because we do not look out for our fellow man. Last..MLK the adulterer..yes he did cheat...but how many of us have stole, gossiped, gluttoned or looked at any other woman or man in lust. Guess what YOU are just as guilty in God Eyes. So if your going to speak on something ..know what the hell you are talking about.. Idiots.

This always happens when a thread like this is started...

Jan 16, 2017, 2:25 PM

you commented, apparently irritated about my post below, however your comments seemed to ignore much of what I said.

MLK said we should be judged by the "content of our character, not the color of our skin." Is this true? Is this true for everybody?

Why are there so many "Reverends" today that claim to be carrying on MLK's message that are a "categorized" American first, and American second. Why are they a "categorized" human being first, and a Christian second?

People of all races and creeds need to get the chip off of their should and quit bending messages to fit what is only convenient for their agenda.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-franc1968.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: That's the WaPo way

Jan 16, 2017, 10:55 PM [ in reply to That's the WaPo way ]

What about spoil rich (Johnny Manzel)

Typical garbage from the left...which is why Trump won

Jan 16, 2017, 1:19 PM

Everyone's getting sick of the left wing crap including the fake news that comes out of the Washington Post and the NY Times.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Typical garbage from the left...which is why Trump won

Jan 16, 2017, 2:18 PM

I, for one, am tired of the labeling of liberal vs. conservative and using fake news when it is convenient to one's point of view. For example, Wikileaks - really!

Wikileaks is hidden news... not fake news. Propaganda

Jan 16, 2017, 4:40 PM

has you confused...

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dabo graduated more players than MLK...there , I said it***

Jan 16, 2017, 1:20 PM

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 16, 2017, 1:21 PM

Why even share this garbage on TigerNet? I don't understand some of you guys.

Jan 16, 2017, 1:35 PM

Ignoring it doesn't make it go away. Talking about it doesn't show support.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

monter le cheval de fer
A coot will usually blink when hit in the head with a ball-peen hammer

Jan 16, 2017, 2:15 PM

Talking about it gives the guy wants - publicity.

How much did Charlie Strong make at Texas when he was there?***

Jan 16, 2017, 1:22 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

'I Cannot Sanction Your Buffoonery'

"Dabo Would've Frowned on MLK's adultery"***

Jan 16, 2017, 1:25 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-franc1968.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

****Ouch"***

Jan 16, 2017, 1:26 PM

but would have respected that he was a Republican.***

Jan 16, 2017, 1:27 PM [ in reply to "Dabo Would've Frowned on MLK's adultery"*** ]

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Re: "Dabo Would've Frowned on MLK's adultery"***

Jan 16, 2017, 1:30 PM [ in reply to "Dabo Would've Frowned on MLK's adultery"*** ]

}]#]#

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

'I Cannot Sanction Your Buffoonery'

Re: "Dabo Would've Frowned on MLK's adultery"***

Jan 16, 2017, 1:32 PM [ in reply to "Dabo Would've Frowned on MLK's adultery"*** ]

I bet there are plenty of things to frown down on you as well..

yes...please quit celebrating my greatness***

Jan 16, 2017, 1:33 PM

Re: yes...please quit celebrating my greatness***

Jan 16, 2017, 1:38 PM

I bet there are plenty of things about you to celebrate as well...

possibly...

Jan 16, 2017, 1:46 PM

but the major point of the article OP was using MLK to denigrate Dabo. Plenty room for criticism and celebration in everybody.

Re: possibly...

Jan 16, 2017, 1:55 PM

This article pissed me off honestly, it's stupid... And this is coming from a guy who didnt vote trump or even Hilary.. I just felt like you were ribbing MLK a little too hard..

I'm okay with MLK, Jr.

Jan 16, 2017, 2:08 PM

he did some good things. But I am also probably a little harder on him because he was, first, a minister. Sure, everyone messes up, but a minister, especially, should walk the talk. And it wasn't like it was one little indiscretion.

There are a lot of people today who go by the title "Reverend" whose message is first and foremost political in nature. Many of them, I've never heard a scripture reference out of their mouth. They typically represent one segment of society AND never say anything that brings unity. I guess (I wasn't around for Dr. King) at least MLK wasn't a race baiter.

So yeah, I'm probably a little tougher on the MLK's legacy than some other people.

Re: I'm okay with MLK, Jr.

Jan 16, 2017, 2:12 PM

I dont see how anyone like you can be hard on anyone that has given their life for The True American Value of "All Men are Created Equal". He died to ensure we were meeting that standard. Be sure and comment on others who had shortcomings and still tried to right by all of us.

"He died to ensure we were meeting that standard"

Jan 16, 2017, 2:17 PM

I think he was assassinated. He didn't die for anybody on purpose.

Really not thinking you are following the thread well anyways.

Here you go ...

Jan 16, 2017, 1:37 PM [ in reply to Re: "Dabo Would've Frowned on MLK's adultery"*** ]

" ...for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, and all are justified freely by his grace through the redemption that came by Christ Jesus."

"If we claim to be without sin, we deceive ourselves and the truth is not in us. If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness. If we claim we have not sinned, we make Him out to be a liar and His word is not in us."

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I was young, I was sure of many things; now there are only two things of which I am sure: one is, that I am a miserable sinner; and the other, that Christ is an all-sufficient Saviour. He is well-taught who learns these two lessons." -John Newton

franc1968 is extremely bitter person in life***

Jan 16, 2017, 3:22 PM [ in reply to Re: "Dabo Would've Frowned on MLK's adultery"*** ]

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

lollers

Jan 16, 2017, 3:50 PM

good one king.

Typical post by you...post in thread and then wait until thread moves to the second page to post the courage of your convictions. Maybe we can meet someday so you can actually push me down or something.

why read it? haters gonna hate.***

Jan 16, 2017, 1:27 PM

GoTiguhs!!

Jan 16, 2017, 1:28 PM

Hate us cause they ain't us. Simple as that. Jealousy

Is Dabo the only person making money from Sports in USA?***

Jan 16, 2017, 1:28 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids.”

I think some choose to focus on Dabo because

Jan 16, 2017, 1:34 PM

of his quote, that is referenced in the article, saying he'd quit coaching if players started getting paid, calling it "entitlement".

That, and his recent championship, are the main reasons he is the subject of these articles recently.

Maybe we could give him a few calls... Link:

Jan 16, 2017, 1:29 PM

KEVIN BLACKISTONE

Kevn Blackistone.

Visiting Professor

College/University: B.S. Northwestern University; M.S. Boston University

301-405-2418 kblacki5@umd.edu 2211 Knight Hall

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Another example of their (Wash Post) drivel

Jan 16, 2017, 1:39 PM

https://www.washingtonpost.com/posteverything/wp/2015/12/09/why-are-there-so-few-black-head-coaches-in-college-football/?utm_term=.ef0ddc0731a8

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

monter le cheval de fer
A coot will usually blink when hit in the head with a ball-peen hammer

It's so easy to say "we need to pay players" but none of

Jan 16, 2017, 1:41 PM

these advocates for pay-for-play have explained the logistics of it.

Is the 4th string o-lineman going to be "paid" the same as DW4 or is it going to based on something else? Effort? Contribution? Jersey sales?

Will it be taxed as income? Will they have to pay tuition?

Will the players at an FCS school with an AD barely staying in the black supposed to be paid the same as the kids at Texas?

And most importantly, how is it going reconcile with Title IX? If it's based off of revenue generated for the school (and that's they whole argument, right--that these kids bring in millions to their respective institutions but don't receive any themselves) then how do generate pay-for-play for the women's soccer teams for instance. If you aren't paying the female players in non-revenue sports the same then it seems it would immediately run afoul of Title IX.

I'd love to hear a proposal for implementing a pay-for-play scheme that adequately takes all of the actual issues at play here into consideration. It's not a simple issue.

Ivolking the MLK's name for political purposes is shameful.

Jan 16, 2017, 1:42 PM

If Dabo is a slave master why do the players love and respect him so much?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Shhhh ... the writer doesn't want the masses to know that.***

Jan 16, 2017, 1:48 PM

Blackistone = Chenjerai Kumanyika's scok??

Jan 16, 2017, 1:49 PM

Just curious

Message was edited by: NorthwestPurple®

Just 'Bosom Buddies'....***

Jan 16, 2017, 4:34 PM

Idiot*****

Jan 16, 2017, 2:12 PM

Blackistone doesn't like anything. He's a very bitter person***

Jan 16, 2017, 2:15 PM

NO FARMERS NO FOOD

I would say "bitter liberal". But, that would

Jan 16, 2017, 2:39 PM

be redundant.

I looked up redundant in the dictionary...

Jan 16, 2017, 4:00 PM

it said, 'see redundant'.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-classof1994.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why do dogs always race to the door when the doorbell rings? It's almost never for them.

Can't we all just get along?***

Jan 16, 2017, 2:39 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-classof1994.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why do dogs always race to the door when the doorbell rings? It's almost never for them.

Dr King would have reached out to Dabo first...

Jan 16, 2017, 2:52 PM

on this issue if he was still around and he wouldn't lay the blame on one person. Where was this guy's article during the SEC run when Saban, Miles, and Meyer were "exploiting" players. This guy is just bitter because the small guy won it. And he should take a look at how Clemson emphasizes academics compared to champions of the past ten years. On this issue there is no wrong or right when it comes to an individual opinions on it. Every issue shouldn't be about demonizing somebody with an opposite opinion. Dabo has gone through similar hardships that our black players have dealt with in life. And even though our team is about 80-85% black, we do have white players you know like Hunter Renfrow who are under the same system as black players. Not all white players are middle class to rich an not all black players come from a poor background. The issue of paying players affects all ethnic groups in college athletics.

well put***

Jan 16, 2017, 3:06 PM

None of those coaches provided the quote

Jan 16, 2017, 3:52 PM [ in reply to Dr King would have reached out to Dabo first... ]

that I am "out if players get paid. There is already enough entitlement out there." That quote rubbed people the wrong way. I was not one of them but you seem to be baffled at why Blackistone and others have taken aim at Dabo.

I won't click on it. I've had it. The ignorance of this debate

Jan 16, 2017, 3:37 PM

overwhelms me at this point, and if these writers and newspapers are so threatened by our coach's faith and perspective and choose to declare war on him and us, I'm happy to return the favor. I'm not a good Christian and I'm not a Trump fan, but these people really don't understand that they have no credibility left, of their own doing. I have no interest in clicking on anything that has to do with WaPo or this writer.

null

Jan 16, 2017, 3:39 PM

So would he also frown upon Nick Saban, Tom Herman, Jimbo Fisher, and Jim Harbaugh? They're also white head football coaches.

Jan 16, 2017, 10:13 PM

The value of a college scholarship... priceless.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 16, 2017, 10:53 PM

Just another bleeding-heart liberal. Seriously it must suck to be so insecure. Get him his little participation trophy & his juice box. Surely his mommy will carry it to the car for him.

Seriously what a pathetic dumb A

Jan 17, 2017, 1:54 AM

Reading...

Wonder if he calculated how much Dabo is worth to clemson?

"Student athletes on average worth 120-250k" That sounds made up but hey that's in the ball park of a 4 year scholarship. Guess that's enough for a total paradigm shift. I wonder since Blakistone is so merit based if he is against Title IX and women's basketball.

Ok so KB thinks athletes don't receive compensation but also believes that they are working for their free ride. Which one is it? We established the idea athletic scholarships being compensation for sport a long time ago. Get with it KB. I wonder if he is against internships as part of other academic programs?

He is from Northwestern. There is the bias. I should have stopped reading at MLK.

Jan 17, 2017, 4:59 AM

From the time I was 7 until about 15 years ago , a span of some 25 years I rode a skateboard and I did so willingly . I did it for some of the same reasons most of these college student-athletes have played football most of their young lives . Comraderie , the exhaustion of youthful energy , learning and growing through experience and training but mostly because I absolutely loved it , as they do playing football .

My body is racked . I broke each of my ankles , my left one twice . I had numerous hip contusions and seperated an elbow once . My knees are in rough shape for a guy of 47 , and my lower back as well .
I was aware that I was physically damaging myself in a future-sense and for no " good " reason , but my love for skating was strong and to this very day I wouldn't trade a minute of it for anything . I look at some of these scars and I say man , I almost pulled that trick on that day and I smile , reliving my past through a gnarly slam that caused an injury still showing after 2 decades . I still have a skate set-up and yes I still " play with it " from time to time . Lifelong passions are the truest source of happiness and contentment . CLEMSON UNIVERSITY football is another for me , as it is many of y'all ...i'd guess all of you if you're here reading this now .
These kids playing for Dabo love where they are, love him and understand that there is a darker side to what they are doing and don't give it another thought because it's life they are choosing , a life they are passionate about and that gives them strength and joy. You think Mike Williams wishes he didn't rehab a broken neck and come back to play this season ? What about Boulware and his nagging shoulder from last year ...think he worries about it lingering on in his life after football now that he has this trophy that nobody can ever deny he earned through his labor of love in football ?
Some people like this Post writer they don't get it man . They just like stirring up trouble by cornering off and singling out where the other party can be viewed in a certain light , mostly unfavorable .
Forget them . They are unhappy lifers , man . Folks that don't have the true knowledge of what they try to tear down .
Go Tigers and Go Dabo . So proud to be a fan of Clemson University .
All In !

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Jan 17, 2017, 6:17 AM

Weird articles like this in a broad-coverage paper mean we've arrived.*

*Did not read article, cuz don't care about weird articles in broad-coverage paper, but appreciate the attention.

MLK Would've Frowned on Blackstone ..***

Jan 17, 2017, 7:40 AM

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Replies: 63
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic