Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Reason for consecutive small classes?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 19
| visibility 1

Reason for consecutive small classes?

Jan 12, 2017, 10:34 PM

We currently have 13 commits this year with a projected 14. When Jake Venables committed he mentioned they are only going 12-deep next year. Beyond normal numbers (red shirts, lack of transfers, etc) is there an underlying reason for this? Most other classes in comparable programs are at 20+ and will probably push 30. I am not knocking it whatsoever, just curious. TIA!!

2024 student level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Reason for consecutive small classes?

Jan 13, 2017, 6:42 AM

Several reasons, Clemson doesn't sign and place kids in juco, and rarely do they sign a player who can't get into school. A lot of programs sign players who will never enroll in school. Every school gets 85 scholarships so if your signing players who stay in school 4 to 5 years you can only sign 21 a year if they stay 4 years and if you redshirt 3 or 4 a year it cuts the number even more. Clemson was a very young team this year with only 10 seniors.

Clemson has outstanding academic support and Coach Swinney demands that the players go to class or he cuts them. You see a lot of school that have juniors who declare for the NFL draft that has no chance of being drafted the reason for it is they haven't made progress toward a degree. The NCAA has set a minimum number of hours that you must have completed towards your degree.

Clemson next big class will be the 2019 signing class.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 13, 2017, 8:55 AM

All that, plus we don't have the attrition most normal schools have. It's gotten to the point it's almost shocking when you see a Kaleb Chalmers get arrested off the field, or have a Jake Fruhmorgen transfer out...you just don't see any of that much any more and it goes to the culture Dabo's built here. He commits to the players...the players in term very much seem have to committed back to Dabo and the program.

We also haven't had very many misses in evaluation. I went up and down Clemson's roster a couple weeks ago looking for "dead weight" that Clemson might do a little addition by subtraction with, and there really weren't a lot of guys (less than 3-4) who I figured had zero chance of ever really contributing and who I'd just as soon moved on. Every time you eyeball a guy like Ryan Carter or CJ Fuller or whatnot who you figure just isn't quite talented enough to be here, they seem to morph into a starter. Normally I would say: "you'll never beat Bama with guys like that", except, well, that Clemson just beat Bama with guys like that playing key roles, so go figure.

I guess that's what happens when you really do have a football team that really is, in Dabo's words, "All In."

Our kids develop. Our kids contribute. Our kids graduate. And it's why we only recruit two-thirds the number of kids your typical SEC program does. We just don't go through them at nearly the rate other schools do.

Excellent post, quozz....And gives evidence why a

Jan 13, 2017, 9:09 AM

scholarship offer from this football program truly means something

These kids know (and more importantly, their PARENTS know) that if they accept a Clemson scholarship offer and do what is asked of them, they'll develop as a player and a person, actually get onto the field for significant minutes, and get a quality education that will serve them long after football days have passed. It's why so many former players still return to their "family"

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I would think lack of attrition would make senior classes

Jan 13, 2017, 10:39 AM [ in reply to Re: Reason for consecutive small classes? ]

larger not smaller.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 13, 2017, 9:22 AM

We will have 16-18 in 2018. We will have transferrs and guys who leave early. We would also have more spots if we didn't impose a 5 scholarship sanction ala Dabo Specials

Yea, Dabo clearly wrong to give them schollies.

Jan 13, 2017, 9:55 AM

I mean, he's only won ONE National Championship with these players.

#### off coot

Snowflake Basher........Out

Re: Yea, Dabo clearly wrong to give them schollies.

Jan 13, 2017, 10:20 AM

That has nothing to due with giving away scholarships that will never contribute. I graduated in 2011 and just bc we won it all doesn't mean we can't improve in areas. So take off your orange collar glasses and be a realist. So ******* open your eyes

Re: Yea, Dabo clearly wrong to give them schollies.

Jan 13, 2017, 10:21 AM

what's a collar glass?

You really want to question our coaches' ability to spot,

Jan 13, 2017, 10:23 AM [ in reply to Re: Yea, Dabo clearly wrong to give them schollies. ]

evaluate, and develop talent?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aspiring member of the TigerNet Sewer Dwellers

Re: You really want to question our coaches' ability to spot,

Jan 13, 2017, 10:29 AM

Dawkins and trapp will never contributed and the Davis brothers are the main examples. I'm sure they are great guys and add something to the team. But I happen to believe you should own your own merit and it not be defined by your father. I'm sure we could have taken more talented players that are great team guys that could contribute. The coaches obviously are going to do what they want to do and I couldn't be happier it's working. But this is part of th reason we have small classes and I stress only part

Let's assume for a second that the guys you mention

Jan 13, 2017, 10:32 AM

don't contribute significantly in the future...in an actual game, anyway.

Most all teams give scholarships to a few walkons on a year-by-year basis, most of which contribute primarily on scout teams.

Is this really that different?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Let's assume for a second that the guys you mention

Jan 13, 2017, 10:39 AM

I could be wrong but I don't think major programs give scholarships to players that aren't going to play on Saturday. They try to run players out who got scholarships that aren't panning out. I'm happy we won't do that. But the players I mentioned were giving scholarships right out of high school. To your point if they walked on and earned a scholarship that way I would feel differently. But I trust the coaches and as a fan I just disagree with this particular decision

I'm just saying maybe we give less scholarships to the

Jan 13, 2017, 10:42 AM

walkons?

It's ok that you disagree with the coaches; I just hesitate to question them on personnel decisions like this. Their track record speaks for itself.

Hey Einstein - those schollies would still be given to

Jan 13, 2017, 10:36 AM [ in reply to Re: You really want to question our coaches' ability to spot, ]

others ..... so the schollies would still be used ...... so the classes would still be small.

Am I typing too fast for you and your "realistic" collared glasses ???

And we talk family - if you notice - a LOT of other places are starting to TALK family.

Rare where the walk matches the talk. And I'm sure our guys use how we walk it as a differentiator when in front of recruits.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Brad Brownell: Only Larry freaking Shyatt has a WORSE overall winning percentage among Clemson basketball coaches since 1975. Let that sink in. It's Larry Shyatt & then Brad Brownell.

Jan 13, 2017, 9:59 AM [ in reply to Re: Reason for consecutive small classes? ]

Yeah thank God the guy who caught the game winner against Alabama wasn't a "Dabo Special"!! Oh wait!

Jan 13, 2017, 10:08 AM

> Yeah thank God the guy who caught the game winner
> against Alabama wasn't a "Dabo Special"!! Oh wait!

Renfrow's game saving tackle after the fumble obviously proves the staff is too stupid to realize he should be playing linebacker. Fire erryone!!!!!

Jan 13, 2017, 10:21 AM [ in reply to Re: Reason for consecutive small classes? ]

Hunter wasn't a dabo special he earned his scholarship and wasn't given it bc his dad was good

I look at the schollies to players like the Davis'

Jan 13, 2017, 10:45 AM

as goodwill and family. It's worth it in the long run for what these families bring back to Clemson . Especially the Judge. If it was on talent they would have redshirted. 4 years 2 scholarships, let them help a little on special teams and practice, and build alot of goodwill. Who knows, with those genes maybe the next generation brings another all American.

Those intangibles will bite you in the butt. You had better

Jan 13, 2017, 6:53 PM

everything out of those scholarships.

Replies: 19
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic