Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Comparing the numbers
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 5
| visibility 1,397

Comparing the numbers

Dec 11, 2016, 3:27 AM

Where Watson had Jackson topped:
*QBR: 154 to 153.3
*Pass Comp/Att: 329/487 to 220/382
*Completion %: 67.6 to 57.6
*Total Pass Yards: 3914 to 3390
*Pass TD's: 37 to 30
*Pass YPG: 301.1 to 282.5
*Fumbles lost: 1 (of 2) to 4 (of 7)
*Sacks & yards lost: 11/-51 to 38/-266
*Team Record: 12-1 (against #32 ranked schedule to ESPN) to 9-3 (against #64 ranked schedule)
*Won the head to head match-up
*Won the conference championship
*Lead team to CFP berth

Where Watson trailed Jackson:
*Rush Attempts: 129 to 234
*Rush Yards: 529 to 1538
*Rush TD's: 6 to 21
*Rush YPG: 40.7 to 128.2
*Total Yards: 4443 to 4928
*Total YPG: 341.8 to 410.7
*Total TD's: 43 to 51
*Interceptions: 15 to 9

My take on it all:
Obviously, could've broke down things further but just basing off this, DW had LJ beat as a passer. DW also didn't take as many sacks (contribute that to OL play of teams, Watson being smarter in when to avoid taking the sack & getting rid of the ball, whatever). Watson also played a tougher schedule: Clemson faced 11 bowl eligible teams (10-1 record) and 7 teams with a record over .500 (6-1 record), while UL faced 7 bowl eligible teams (4-3 record) and 4 teams with a record over .500 (1-3 record) - all this includes the Oct 1 match-up in Death Valley.

What won LJ the Heisman were the rushing stats. Our coaches didn't make DW do a whole lot with his legs this season until late in the year, while LJ's coaches had him doing it all year long. The yards & TD's pushed his total TD's & yards to eclipse DW. Also, feel like media & fans alike got wrapped up in the video game stats against the weaker competition. Also, LJ didn't come into the year with the expectations that DW had. While everyone was gushing about LJ crushing an overmatched Syracuse and a depleted FSU, they were asking what was wrong with DW while he was facing Auburn, Troy, and GT teams that were preparing all offseason for him. LJ was able to coast after a strong September and a very good game against us, while DW never really got proper dues for his work against stiffer competition, even as he cranked it up as the year went on. Everyone was hyper critical of Watson's interceptions (even though most of them were just bad luck bounces out of the receiver's hands) while turning a blind eye away from LJ's turnovers until the UK game. Once you factor in the fumbles LJ committed, it narrowed the difference in overall turnovers (16 for Watson, 13 for Jackson). Final piece of the puzzle: UL coaches kept LJ in games that were well in hand longer than needed, which padded the stats. Our coaches pulled DW by mid-3rd quarter in the games that were well in hand.

As I said in an earlier post, I tip my hat to Lamar Jackson and his athletic abilities, and to his Heisman win. However, Deshaun Watson had the expectations that Jackson didn't have coming into the year, faced stiffer competition, and still managed to lead his team to back-to-back ACC titles and CFP appearance. And if what David Hood said in his article earlier is true, then God help Ohio State b/c this slight might bring out a whole other side of both Deshaun Watson and of this team in general who have dealt with the slights all season long.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Comparing the numbers

Dec 11, 2016, 3:49 AM

You could have spared yourself the research.
It's not a Most Valuable Award,it's a Most Popular Award.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sadly yes it is.

Dec 11, 2016, 11:54 AM

Look @ how many have flamed out in recent years once they went pro.

The fact 9% of the voters turned in before the conference chsmpionship, that so much hype was made early in the year, that the level of competition wasn't being taken into account proved that so many of the votes care about flash & numbers over substance (winning titles, beating tougher competition, etc). Lamar had the flash & numbers, but Deshaun had the substance.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm making up a scok tonight so I can

Dec 11, 2016, 4:32 AM

Give another thumbs up. Quality post

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

seriously

Dec 11, 2016, 7:17 AM

You just made the perfect case for why DW4 was awarded Davey OBrien and Johnny Unitas awards and not heisman.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Comparing the numbers

Dec 11, 2016, 8:41 AM

Unfortunately, the TigerNet system doesn't allow me to give you but "ONE TU". Very good post.

badge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 5
| visibility 1,397
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic