Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
If we want to win a championship one thing has to happen
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 12
| visibility 1,917

If we want to win a championship one thing has to happen

Dec 9, 2016, 1:25 PM

We have to have Pagano and Bryant at 100%
Our current system of having 3 DTs playing simultaneously however talented they has left them gassed late in games. Our second half rush defense is twice as bad as our first half statistically. Don't believe me watch the second half of the Louisville game/FSU game/VT game or NCST run down the field to tie the game and for the potential game winning field goal. We are the worst team in the playoff at defending runs inside the redzone. We surrender 3 times as many yards per attempt in that area as OSU and Alabama. We must have a healthy DL to keep Wilkins and young Dexter from hitting high snap counts before halftime. I know the layoff should help but we are facing two very good rushing teams on our path to the title and we have to be better in this area if we want to win it all.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: If we want to win a championship one thing has to happen

Dec 9, 2016, 1:42 PM

You could not be more wrong. That being said it will be nice to have them back. I think Bryant will for sure be 100% though. He has looked good.

Dec 9, 2016, 1:55 PM

This is when Huggins and Robinson should come into play... We should really flex our depth on both sides of the ball. I expect to see a lot more DW runs too

If we want to win a championship one thing has to happen. We

Dec 9, 2016, 1:59 PM

need to score more points than the opposing team.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aspiring member of the TigerNet Sewer Dwellers

How about

Dec 9, 2016, 2:03 PM

How about we don't turn the ball over, not give up big plays, not have busted coverages and being sound in the kicking game?

Those might be a good start.

Dec 9, 2016, 2:09 PM

I agree with you.
If our Offense puts up 30+ points we should win.
our Defense is talented but they seem to tire during the game. Depth helps this problem

Dec 9, 2016, 2:32 PM

I appreciate your positive feedback. Seems tough to start a real football discussion on Tigernet these days.

Dec 9, 2016, 2:34 PM

To say we have to have Pagano at 100% to win it all is idiotic. It would be nice to have him back healthy but we do not have to have him back to win the Natty.

Looks like the grumpy old men are out in force today

Dec 9, 2016, 2:40 PM [ in reply to Re: If we want to win a championship one thing has to happen ]

I think you made a very astute observation. Not sure it's entirely them being gassed - I think some of our opposing coaches have been great at halftime adjustments. In turn BV may have been a little slow to adjust in turn. Against VaTech they went to screens to avoid the blitz and it took us a while to adjust. Against FSU we were slow to adjust to the outside runs.

Re: Looks like the grumpy old men are out in force today

Dec 9, 2016, 3:06 PM

It's certainly not all on the DL to stop the run. Unfortunately I just don't think we are that good at maintaining gap integrity in the back 7. We need our DL to be forces of nature in order to dominate the run. When you have the same three DTs in from start to finish it stands to reason that their play will diminish unless given rest. I think the stats and games of our season bear that out. I think Wilkins is an amazing player one of the best in college football but schematically we are asking him to cover ground that someone 30-40 pounds lighter than him should be doing. Can you imagine if we had to ask Ben Boulware to play the majority of the games snaps at Corner
because of a lack of depth? Dexter Lawrence is a phenom but still a true freshmen you can see him get tired as the games wear on this late in the season. Pagano spelling him and Bryant spelling Wilkins will be a key against two elite rushing offenses going forward.

I think Dabo needs to wear pleated pants to have any shot.***

Dec 9, 2016, 2:12 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

'I Cannot Sanction Your Buffoonery'

Dec 9, 2016, 2:37 PM

VT hurt us with the quick passes on the outside because we were playing off so much the last few drives. We stopped the run dang good. Their QB has a few nice runs with the draws after they had spread us out but our DL did not look tired at all.

Technically, that's two things.

Dec 9, 2016, 2:40 PM

HTH.

Replies: 12
| visibility 1,917
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic