Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
a couple of memories from the 1977 Gator Bowl
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 7
| visibility 973

a couple of memories from the 1977 Gator Bowl

Dec 8, 2016, 12:55 PM

I was in school then and went to both in 77 & 78. Beating Ohio St & the Woody Hayes thing in 78 was great, but I think the 77 Gator was more exciting and memorable for me, even tho Pitt drilled us 34-3. You have to remember how bad we'd been, no bowl in 20 yrs, 5 wins total the previous two seasons, etc. At the time, nobody knew how long it might be before we'd go to a good bowl again. And we were coming off that classic Fuller-to-Butler win over SCAR. Going to the Gator in Jacksonville was heady stuff.

A couple things I remember, and trust me, that whole trip is a bit hazy. I remember on the drive down when traffic on the highway slowed to a crawl. Eventually saw why - a logging truck had gone off the road and either hit something or bogged down in the mud, whatever, it must have stopped very abruptly. Because all the logs had slammed forward and crushed the cab. It was totally destroyed, not much left of it. The poor driver had to have been smashed into mush.

We were absolutely stunned to discover that you could just pull up to a kiosk in a strip mall parking lot and buy booze, 24x7. Just slide your ID and money into that little window tray, and they slide you back a bottle of liquor. Cool. We're not in SC any more, y'all...

Night of the game, we parked on an bridge overpass, blocking all the lanes. Hadn't planned on it, we were just following all the other cars to the stadium when everybody in front of us just stopped, got out, and started walking. We had no choice but to do the same. I remember thinking, oh well, they can't tow away all of us. And it was a loooooonnnng walk to the stadium. Also remember it took us about 2 hours to find the car after the game. I'm sure our buzz had something to do with it.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

A drunk will run a STOP sign, but a stoner will wait for it to turn green.

A couple of things I remember about the 77 Gator Bowl...

Dec 8, 2016, 1:07 PM

It was a night game and about 45 degrees but the wind made it feel much cooler.

I remember the big green gators painted in the end zones.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Re: a couple of memories from the 1977 Gator Bowl

Dec 8, 2016, 1:42 PM

I remember it well....we got lost getting to the stadium and started following the lights on side roads. We came to a dead-end, but could see the stadium only a few blocks away. A nice man we asked how to get to the game just did a belly laugh. He says it about 5 miles by car, but if you want to leave your car in my yard and can climb the fence in my back you'll be there in 2 minutes. Away we go....he for got to tell the 4 inebriated fellows they had to cross a 4 lane hwy with a concret divider wall in the middle. Well we made it and got back to our car even drunker. A police car stopped as we were climbing the wall in the middle of the road..........and he just smiled and said "watch the traffic" and drove off. It was different times back then!!!! Don't remember everything about the game, but do remember that Matt Cavanaugh wore us out!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

monter le cheval de fer
A coot will usually blink when hit in the head with a ball-peen hammer

LOL ... yep, good times***

Dec 8, 2016, 2:41 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

A drunk will run a STOP sign, but a stoner will wait for it to turn green.

Dec 8, 2016, 1:47 PM

It was a COLD night.
I was in the end zone (top row) and I was so far up I could not even see the Woody Hayes hit. In fact I found out about it on the radio driving home. Great game. Cool times!!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 8, 2016, 1:48 PM

Regarding the 1978 game and Woody's firing.....the morning after the game-- driving up the interstate with thousands of Tiger fans---One van had a large white sheet taped to the side of their van which stated "WOODY IS A ######" !!

Rode yellow school bus from motel to stadium

Dec 8, 2016, 1:48 PM

driver parked outside stadium. After the game came out and there was about 200 yellow school buses out there. My goodness, almost never found found our bus. (cough, cough) And the exhaust from all the buses was terrible. Thought we were all gonna be asphyxiated.

a ticket was $10

Dec 8, 2016, 1:49 PM

I still have mine.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 7
| visibility 973
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic