Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Clemson WW2 Veterans in Books
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 3
| visibility 548

Clemson WW2 Veterans in Books

Dec 8, 2016, 8:20 AM

With yesterday being Pearl Harbor Day, it reminded me of two books I've read that were either by or features a Clemson alum. I highly recommend them both. If you all know of any others I'd be interested to know. Clemson has such a great military history - one of many reasons I'm proud to be a Tiger!

"Some Survived" by Manny Lawton ('40)
https://www.amazon.com/Some-Survived-Eyewitness-Account-Through/dp/1565124340
"Manny Lawton was a twenty-three-year-old Army captain on April 8, 1942, when orders came to surrender to the Japanese forces invading the Philippine Islands. The next day, he and his fellow American and Filipino prisoners set out on the infamous Bataan Death March--a forced six-day, sixty-mile trek under a broiling tropical sun during which approximately eleven thousand men died or were bayoneted, clubbed, or shot to death by the Japanese. Yet terrible as the Death March was, for Manny Lawton and his comrades it was only the beginning. When the war ended in August 1945, it is estimated that some 57 percent of the American troops who had surrendered on Bataan had perished."
(I don't know if he knew Col Skardon or not - I don't recall a reference to him in the book, but it's been a while since I've read it)

"Pacific Alamo" by John Wukovits
features Clemson alum Marine Capt Wesley Platt ('35) - https://cualumni.clemson.edu/page.aspx?pid=1659
https://www.amazon.com/Pacific-Alamo-Battle-Wake-Island/dp/0451212053
"It happened in the shadow of Pearl Harbor-mere hours after the first attack on the day that would "live in infamy." But few know the full story of Wake Island.
Now a prominent military historian, breaking new ground on the assault, relates the compelling events of that day and the heroic struggle that followed. Thanks to the brave Marines stationed there-and the civilian construction workers who selflessly put their lives on the line to defend the island-what was supposed to be an easy victory became a protracted and costly battle for Imperial Japan. This is the story of that battle, from survivors on both sides."

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

THANKS o2!

Dec 8, 2016, 8:23 AM

Added to my reading list!

GO TIGERS!!!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Whatever choice(s) you make makes you. Choose wisely.

Re: Clemson WW2 Veterans in Books

Dec 8, 2016, 8:28 AM

May have to check those out. Ironically today is my 92 year old grandfathers bday. He is a clemson grad and was a signalman in the navy during ww2. His plane was struck by a kamikazi pilot that would have killed him.if he hadnt just switched places with the other signalman. The war and clemson stories are quite awesome. So glad to have him around to tell the stories.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Clemson WW2 Veterans in Books- great post

Dec 8, 2016, 8:41 AM

thanks

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 3
| visibility 548
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic