Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
" The biggest plus is we get extra practice"
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 10
| visibility 1,202

" The biggest plus is we get extra practice"

Dec 6, 2016, 12:35 PM

Is what crap teams say when they go to bowl games. I've heard like 5 Coots say this in the past week

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: " The biggest plus is we get extra practice"

Dec 6, 2016, 12:37 PM

They need it

Dec 6, 2016, 1:23 PM

And a Christmas miracle.

Nothing exciting about going to Birmingham***

Dec 6, 2016, 12:58 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 6, 2016, 1:00 PM

Along with another 68 teams or so...lol! Real advantage for them.+

Well unless they get different players...

Dec 6, 2016, 1:36 PM

Don't see extra practice helping.

Dec 6, 2016, 1:41 PM

They are focusing on developing players for next season knowing that they getting that a$$ spanked in the bowl game. I'm a loyal fan to all my teams but I couldn't do it for the cawks without heavy medication followed by heavy drinking.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 6, 2016, 1:45 PM

Coots got one extra practice on thanksgiving day, remember, how did that work out for them? Hmmm

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Coots Need 2 Extra Years of Practice To Even Begin to Help***

Dec 6, 2016, 1:47 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 6, 2016, 2:02 PM

If you'd coached any kind of development sport you would know: fifteen extra practices - plus keeping your team active an additional month - is enormous.

You only get 15 Spring practices. You only get 29 Fall practices before your first game. So basically what you're getting by being bowl-eligible is an extra Spring practice session, followed by what amounts to an exhibition game played against another program instead of an inter-squad scrimmage.

It really is huge, if it's approached the right way. A lot of coaches - and programs - are idiots and take a "must-win" mentality into the bowl game, and so what they end up doing is grinding the wheels off a bunch of starters that by this point in the season already have a lot of miles on them, but what the smart coaches do - and this includes Dabo - is, they spend a lot more time letting the vets heal up and recuperate while largely focusing upon and "coaching up" the younger and periphery players. On at least one occasion last year I know Dabo practiced with the 1's and 2's...and then the 3's and 4's came in and had their own (longer) practice.

There is a reason we keep successfully "reloading" and it has only partially to do with recruiting. How many older veteran players have emerged from being rawer under-the-radar prospects to being big-time starters and contributors late in their career? Last year we saw BJ Goodson pop up from obscurity as a senior to make himself an NFL draft pick; this year it was Jadar Johnson. Jay Guillermo finally emerged as a redshirt junior last year to make a big contribution; this year it was Dorian O'Daniel and Ryan Carter. Those guys were developed a lot more than recruited, since none of them came in as ready-out-of-the-box products. But at some point they got repped, they got coached up...and they emerged.

Dec 6, 2016, 2:04 PM

THis^

Replies: 10
| visibility 1,202
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic