Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Buckeye fan coming in peace!
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 21
| visibility 5,035

Buckeye fan coming in peace!

Dec 4, 2016, 11:04 PM

Hey guys! I am looking forward to the matchup with Clemson, as the Orange Bowl in 2013 was a great game between two hard nosed teams!

I did some digging to find this board, as the Scout board didn't seem to be too active. Anyways, I figured I'd throw out my honest opinion of my team for you guys for the matchup in the desert.

QB - JT Barrett. I'm not sure how much you've seen of him, but you could ask ten Buckeye fans about him and get ten different answers. I tend to me an optimistic, I think the guy is as gritty as it gets for the position and is a winner. He has seemed to regress as a passer from 2014 to 2016, although some believe that being from Texas, he is uncomfortable throwing in cold B1G weather in November. That may be the case, as he seemed to throw well against Oklahoma earlier in the season, but I digress. He makes GREAT decisions running the read option. He has very average speed, but knows how to use his body to take hits.

RB - Mike Weber. A redshirt freshman that reminds me of a Mike Hart type of player. He doesn't have break away speed like Zeke did, and doesn't have the vision either. He gets tripped up easily, almost as if he tries to run "too hard" at times and is out of control. When met from the hips up, he tends to get some extra yards. Our OC tends to get away from him at times, even when he has the hot hand.

HB - Curtis Samuel. I've been high on him since his freshman year. Now as a junior, he is the focus of the offense. If you can find him and contain him, we are in trouble. You will see him line up regularly as a side car to JTB, he can run the ball like a true RB, and can split out into the slot and run routes like a crisp WR. Fast as anyone on the field with great vision.

WR - Our WRs leave a lot to be desired. Noah Brown had an AMAZING game against Oklahoma, then we didn't see him much except for the game winner at Wisconsin. He is a BIG WR, but lacks top end speed. He is a thumper as a blocker, which is a staple in an Urban Meyer offense. You will also see Parris Campbell, KJ Hill, Terry McLaurin, and possibly true freshman Benjamin Victor. A lot of potential, but no one in this group has really separated themselves to be a real #2 to Noah this season.

TE - Marcus Baugh. A good blocker that makes mistakes, such as missed assignments, false starts, dropped passes, etc. He has good athleticism that has helped at times this season, and has made some CLUTCH plays for us, but consistency is the problem.

OL - We are four strong at the OL, the missing link being RT Isaiah Prince. He is an average run blocker, and a bad pass pro guy. He tends to lean forward and has bad feet. He struggles with his hands and I expect your best rush man to go after him. The matchup I'm looking forward to is between two true freshman: OG Michael Jordan and DT Dexter Lawrence. That should be a fun one to watch!

DL - We lost our starting DT Tracy Sprinkle at the beginning of the season, but we are very deep across the DL. Tyquan Lewis is an every down DE, Sam Hubbard is a long DE that makes a lot of plays. The DT's rotate frequently with little fall off. Nick Bosa gets a lot of PT as a true freshman and has six sacks, truly looking like a spitting image of his big brother.

LB - Raekwon is as good as it gets in the middle. He sheds blocks well and can run sideline to sideline. Jerome Baker is the most athletic LB on the team, and Chris Worley isn't far behind.

Secondary - The strength of this Buckeye team. CBs Marshon Lattimore is ranked as Todd McShay's #8 overall player. Gareon Conley is a 1st round CB. Malik Hooker has 3 INTs for TDs this season, 6 INTs total playing centerfield.

I am extremely confident in our defense. If I had to say that there is a weakness, I would say that there have been times when teams were able to run at our defensive tackles, such as @ Wisconsin. Also, we have at times struggled to cover the 3rd WR in the slot in man coverage. I think Renfrow can exploit some things there against us.

I am confident in our running game. We have a three headed monster, with Weber going for over 1000, JTB going for 850, and Samuel tallying 700. I am NOT confident in the passing game. I don't know if it's a "November" thing, like some suggest, but JT has regressed. The WRs leave a lot to be desired, and when teams can load the box against us, it really puts pressure on our offense. I'd like to see more shots down field to alleviate that, but we are still waiting to see that happen.

I have watched a handful of your games, as the best man in my wedding is a Tiger fan. I think we matchup well with each other, and I'm expecting another great matchup!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Welcome! Should be a great match up.***

Dec 4, 2016, 11:06 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

YeP..welcome "YugO"

Dec 4, 2016, 11:27 PM

Very astute assessment of your team especially of various weaknesses..which I'm reporting to DaBO & Brent so they will know!

I saw JT Barrett interviewed Sunday after selections and he really impressed me, as much as DWatson4 does as a humble being, and didn't know they considered each as good friends but have competed in Elite11's and kept up with too.

So yes, I also think the matchup will be about as even as the last meeting which I attended..and felt the Line, QB, LB'er, RB & other match ups were about even, but the difference maker was WR Sammy Watkins.

Ok Buckie..please come back anytime since we've got some until kickoff.

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Soon to be 0-3....can't wait***

Dec 4, 2016, 11:12 PM

Re: Soon to be 0-3....can't wait***

Dec 5, 2016, 6:21 AM

The guy comes over in peace with nothing but great comments and you act like a Gamecock fan to him,grow up.

Re: Soon to be 0-3....can't wait***

Dec 5, 2016, 10:50 AM

Well, they will soon be 0-3. So there's that.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The definition of awesome!

Welcome. Tomorrow you should get a few detailed Tigers analyses

Dec 4, 2016, 11:22 PM

Not from me. But there are several folks here who will dive into the details for how we match up.

As far as Raekwon goes, he is very familiar to this board. He was high on our list as well during the recruiting game.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It should be a great game. I have family up

Dec 4, 2016, 11:32 PM

In Delaware, OH...just north of Columbus and they are huge Ohio State fans. We have had a lot of fun the past couple of days bickering back and fourth about it

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Buckeye fan coming in peace!

Dec 4, 2016, 11:34 PM

Dang dude. YOu got this in cliff notes? Lol
See you news eve. I hope the scoreboard operator gets a good night sleep the night before we play because he will need it. I see many points by both teams. No 3 yards and a cloud of dust.
Good luck

Dec 4, 2016, 11:34 PM

The best man in your wedding sounds like a great guy! I like him already. He is welcome here anytime!

Thanks for the insight.

Dec 4, 2016, 11:35 PM

Welcome! Great analysis of your team! I'll be brief for now about Clemson. We are probably going to be the best team you all have played that can score and play defense. Michigan and Wisconsin and Penn St play good defense. Oklahoma is Oklahoma. They beat up on Big 12 teams but struggle against non conference teams. VT had a good secondary but I believe Ohio St will be the best secondary we have faced. And I know even though you're young, you have studs on both sides of the ball. Plus Meyer has been on the big stage and won. We have the best group of WRs in the nation (yes I'm biased...lol). But don't let the stats fool you. We have the ability to target 4-5 WRs at any moment to attack your defense and the QB to make all the throws. To give you an idea of our offense and how it can morph, look at our game against VT. In the first half it was our RB Gallman and WR Scott and TE Leggettwho were focal points. In the 2nd half, it was Watson running and Cain/Renfrow making plays. Our achilles heal this year has been the turnovers. Sometimes we get careless with the ball. But just like Bama last year, you all will see the frustration of game planning against Watson. He can run and complete every pass on the field. Should be a great game. I'm a little nervous about the 3 headed running challenge you all can present and Urban Meyer knows how to create offense. Our game potentially has the making of a classic.

Dec 4, 2016, 11:38 PM

Welcome to the board Yugo and on behalf of us all here at TigerNet, we appreciate the candor and class. Being from NY, it seems like I'm surrounded by OSU fans these days (come to think of it, I haven't gone many places in the continental USA where I haven't seen at least a few of you). I've watched enough Ohio state games this year to recognize that you're a run-first type offense with a stable full of stocky backs; we will certainly have our hands full in that regard. And your secondary is a consensus elite. I'm really looking forward to this matchup. Like Bill, I too saw that interview with JT Barrett today... seems like a great young man with a bright future. I had no idea that him and Deshaun were so close until today. Any friend of DW4 is a friend of ours (except on game day!).

Anyways, feel free to swing through any time. It does me good to see an opposing fan stop by to talk ball without being a ####. Ugh. This time last year, we already had 10 jerks on here posting about Baker Mayfield and how he cures the sick and walks on water. Enjoy your stay.

Dec 4, 2016, 11:40 PM

Welcome! Great post. Trying to get my friends to come down here from Columbus to watch the game and party with me. She's from Troy, OH and loves the Buckeyes. Gonna be awesome. Here's to a great and injury free game.

Dec 4, 2016, 11:45 PM

nope, and no way, and no how, will this be tolerable - just like hokies, cards, and irish - just no.

go tigers 3-0

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I for one am glad you are stopping. You are one of the most ignorant posters ever. You obviously think very highly of your own opinion, unlike the rest of us - RockHillTiger

Dec 4, 2016, 11:47 PM

Welcome Kirk Herbstreit! Thanks for the heads up....

Dec 5, 2016, 3:04 AM

Thanks for coming on and sharing your insights. All the best to you. Looking forward to this great challenge for our team to face a tough Buckeye team. I agree, looks like a solid matchup.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Thanks for the information...........'um', Hey Dabo!!!!!!!!***

Dec 5, 2016, 6:08 AM

Dec 5, 2016, 8:59 AM

Great assessment. Prince is a total liability and I think JT is going to be feeling the heat. The Clemson D hasn't looked convincing at times, but neither has OSU's offense. I don't know if JT has ruined JT, or if Beck has ruined him. I lean towards the latter as Cardale didn't look like the world beater he was during the title run after he showed up. Clemson really just needs to contain him and force him to throw.

I think the game comes down to how well OSU's great secondary can handle Clemson's great receivers, and force DW to throw a couple of picks. The most points OSU has given up this year in regulation was 24 in their loss to PSU. Their defense can play, but if Clemson starts putting up points I don't see OSU being able to keep up.

It's going to be a fun game and I wish it was closer.

Coin flip sort of game .. Winner will result from best execution***

Dec 5, 2016, 9:24 AM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Buckeye fan coming in peace!***

Dec 5, 2016, 9:24 AM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Welcome Yugo and I agree

Dec 5, 2016, 9:37 AM

This has the ingredients to be one for the ages. Two extremely talented teams that match up well. I wish I could say I wish you luck but I dont??

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

All I can say is

Dec 5, 2016, 12:05 PM

TL;DR

Replies: 21
| visibility 5,035
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic