Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Why can't cj spiller get it going in the NFL?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 19
| visibility 3,795

Why can't cj spiller get it going in the NFL?

Oct 26, 2016, 8:28 PM

We have all seen first hand what he is capable of. What's holding him back?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Why can't cj spiller get it going in the NFL?

Oct 26, 2016, 8:36 PM

Injuries and clueless offensive coordinators.

Injuries? sure...The "clueless OC" angle is strictly BS

Oct 26, 2016, 8:50 PM

though...Unless you think Sean Patton doesn't know offense...Truthfully, Chan Gailey as well...He's had opportunities in good offenses, he just can't stay the field

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Injuries? sure...The "clueless OC" angle is strictly BS

Oct 26, 2016, 8:59 PM

Um, who is Sean Patton? If you're talking about Sean PAYton, is he the offensive coordinator of the Saints or is Pete Carmichael? Should I mention they're 2-4 or that they're second to last in the NFL in rushing offense? I guess I'm (we are all) missing your point.

so, to clarify, you think Sean Payton is a bad offensive

Oct 26, 2016, 9:00 PM

mind who doesn't know how to use CJ?

Re: so, to clarify, you think Sean Payton is a bad offensive

Oct 26, 2016, 9:03 PM

I figured they'd use him like they did Sproles...never really materialized though.

I did too...I thought he would be plug and play***

Oct 26, 2016, 10:38 PM

Re: so, to clarify, you think Sean Payton is a bad offensive

Oct 26, 2016, 9:17 PM [ in reply to so, to clarify, you think Sean Payton is a bad offensive ]

You're bringing head coaches into a conversation / statement that I'd made about clueless offensive coordinators, as in they don't know how to utilize a talent like CJ spiller. That is what I'm saying. And if Carmichael is so offensively brilliant, why are you ranked 29th in rushing offensive in week 6? And similarly, (if you're a clemson fan especially), how do you justify Stephone Anthony sitting the bench after winning rookie of the year last year?

Spiller thrived pre-injuries under Gailey in Buffalo but please don't preach Sean Payton to me at 2-4 and his second-to-last in rushing offense or try to convince me that CJ wasn't under-utilized by the Saints and just recently, poorly handled by Seattle. Hopefully the Packers pick him up next week and give him snaps or he somehow reunites with Chan Gailey on the struggling Jets.

injuries, age and salary?***

Oct 26, 2016, 8:47 PM

He is close to being done w his career.

Oct 26, 2016, 9:25 PM

But he made millions$$$$, and has and always will be a great ambassador for Clemson.

Kudos to him!!!! Bravo!!!!

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: He is close to being done w his career.

Oct 26, 2016, 9:57 PM

Injuries hurt....

Buffalo misused him, and tried to make him a 230 lb bruiser.

Pretty sure he was forced on Payton and in turn was never really given a chance.

What I can't figure out is why he didn't catch on at a more favorable place than Seattle after being released by the Saints. He should have been in high demand for teams like the Chargers looking to replace Woodhead or Green Bay.

RBs have short careers in the NFL.***

Oct 26, 2016, 9:58 PM [ in reply to He is close to being done w his career. ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

This mess is hogwash in my opinion, he did a great job for

Oct 27, 2016, 12:40 AM [ in reply to He is close to being done w his career. ]

The Bills he just had a better back in front of him for what they wanted but CJ never failed to be a great RB who couldn't hit the holes. He was very productive when used consistently.

He was doing a great jog catching and blocking out of the backfield. They are going with youth that will be cheaper the next few years.

That's the real issue right now with CJ right now for a long term contract. This year he's making over 15 million(more than most of us lol) and he will get paid league minimum if picked up again plus what he's already been pain but if anyone picks him up for the long term they will have to pay him by experience and that's his enemy.

Cj is a great speed back with the ability to catch the ball and go and he does this well know.

I hope after this year is over he gets another 2-3 year contract and best case scenario is if a playoff team needs him and he show out.

Go CJ your the best!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We keep getting better & better everyday, in every way!
“The only disability is a bad Attitude” Dabo Swinney!!
Let’s Go Tigers!

Re: Why can't cj spiller get it going in the NFL?

Oct 26, 2016, 10:00 PM

Durability. Unfortunately, his NFL career has been as injury hampered as his college career. I hate it because he is awesome when he is healthy.

agreed***

Oct 26, 2016, 10:40 PM

He insisted on trying to be power runner, when he wasn't.

Oct 26, 2016, 10:44 PM

Wheels shot unfortunately. Ellington seems to be going through same injury problems. It is true to last long in NFL, you have to be big and fast like Terry Allen was...

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm not sure CJ had the "hole recognition" capability

Oct 26, 2016, 11:02 PM

that the great backs do, and

is required significantly more in the NFL than the college game

because the holes close down so fast.

Both JD and Ellington were aways better at following the holes like true tailbacks.

^^^Gets it^^^

Oct 27, 2016, 12:03 AM

Yes, CJ has had injury issues- most NFL running backs do. That, however, is not what's held CJ back. CJ does not have the vision to be a great back. He was elite in college because he was just so much more athletic and faster than everyone else. That alone doesn't make you successful in the NFL. I don't think CJ ever "made" it in the NFL because he simply couldn't follow blocks and find holes before they disappeared.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: ^^^Gets it^^^

Oct 27, 2016, 12:20 AM

I agree. I recall several times instead of hitting the hole, cj would run into the back of an OL and then just use his elite speed to bounce it outside for a good gain. Lack of vision is in part what killed trent richardson after a stellar college career.

Bad draft, now age and money

Oct 27, 2016, 8:31 AM

he went to the wrong team. He went to a ground and pound type of offense and he's more of a "west coast" style. About the only place he could have gone worse than Buffalo would have been the Giants. Because he went to the Bills, his faults were magnified. He's not an NFL-between-the-tackles runner and never has been. Now the league knows that part of his game and can just focus on covering the edge. His speed at the college level was outstanding. His speed at the NFL level is just marginally better than competitors.

Now he's just too old and too expensive for a team to jump on. I think he's around 2 million against the salary cap this year (1.2 to the Saints and 800 to Seattle.)

Replies: 19
| visibility 3,795
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic