Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Sports Psychology 101--Playing Tight
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 1
| visibility 875

Sports Psychology 101--Playing Tight

Oct 5, 2016, 9:11 PM

Everyone knows there is just a little something not quite clicking with our offense. The defense, Gawd love 'em, is playing lights out. 99 plays on D and we came up with the game-saving stop? Are you kidding me??? Wow. That is heart!!! But that is not what I'm here to say.

I used to be a 10-handicap golfer. I played in the low 80s with the occasional 79. All of a sudden, I struggled to break 90. I would stand over the ball and have all kinds of doubts about the shot. I'd be thinking pre-shot, during the shot, and cussing after the shot. It was like I had never played the gatdang (golfers will understand the pseudo cussing) game before. I was frustrated. I tried to bear down. I got tension in my arms. I tried to steer the ball. It got worse and worse.

Today, I shoot consistently in the low 80s again, playing only once/week, if I'm lucky. Here's how I got my mojo back. I started swinging like I didn't care. I pitch like I don't care. I chip like I don't care. I putt like I don't care. The results are as good as I've ever had.

Here's the thing--and I promise this is football-related. I had improved to the point that I expected, no, DEMANDED it of myself. I would stand over a shot and negative thoughts would creep into my head because I wondered if I were really that good. Now, granted, I'm not 11underpar good, but for my golf history, I was playing well. I started thinking too much. I put way too much importance on each shot. And here's the kicker--I worried I wouldn't make as good a shot as I knew I could. And more times than not, I didn't.

So. Not too long ago, I decided to play like I didn't care. I mean, I play like I don't give a rat's patootie what happens. I'm not think "what if" because there is life after a bad shot in the event a bad shot happens. These days, I visualize the shot I want to make--that I KNOW I CAN make--then I give myself a few seconds to rehearse this mantra, if you will, "I don't care. I don't care. I don't care." Then I pull the trigger. Most of the time, I'm very happy with the shot. In the event I hit a bad shot, I just choose the shot I want to hit next and repeat the process.

Now here is another important change. I don't think ahead. I mean I don't think at all beyond the shot I want to hit. Golf course management is a big part of the game, so I think, "where do I want to put THIS shot." And that's all I care about. And then I don't care. I don't care. I don't care. Then I pull the trigger. I don't keep a running tally in my head as my round progresses. Oh GAWD! I'm already 5-over!!! Nope. It's this shot. What do I want to do? OK, this is what I want to do. I don't care. Then I execute the shot.

Now the football analogy. I think DW, and the rest of the offense, approached this season feeling the weight of expectation. Most of the expectation is self-imposed. They feel the need to be perfect. There is dread of failure. There is tension in their muscles. I've witnessed (without a doubt) DW trying to steer throws rather than just letting it go and trusting his instincts.

I'm having as much fun playing golf these days--at age 60--as I have EVER had. The fun is in the winning. I'm whipping guys 25 years my junior. And I'm doing it by playing loose. I'm having fun. I'm not worrying whether this shot is perfect. If I have a bad hole, it doesn't make me press harder on the next.

DW just needs to relax and let it come. I don't care. I don't care. I don't care.

Because when you start caring about screwing up, all ###### breaks loose.

I'm glad the D has been lights out. Lawd help us if they hadn't been. 99 snaps . . . REALLY??? Superhuman!

Now it's time for the O to JUST HAVE FUN.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The definition of awesome!

Astute, interesting & correct insightfullness DAVID!

Oct 5, 2016, 9:29 PM

Keep Putting & ROCKing eM on the course too!

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 1
| visibility 875
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic