Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
WIll the ACC ever wise up and realign divisions?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 17
| visibility 1,786

WIll the ACC ever wise up and realign divisions?

Jul 28, 2016, 12:27 PM

Atlantic: Clemson, GT, NCSU, Wake, UNC, Duke, Louisville, eventually WVA or Cincy or Whomever

Coastal: Miami, FSU, BC, Pitt, VT, UVA, Syracuse, eventually Notre Dame

Wouldn't it make sense to match up some of these regional games and also split Clemson and FSU into opposite divisions giving the ACC Title game more appeal?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

They don't want all the former Big East teams in the same

Jul 28, 2016, 12:29 PM

division.

Or so I've herd.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aspiring member of the TigerNet Sewer Dwellers

the biggest consideration, IMO, is handling ND's 3 yr. ACCCG

Jul 28, 2016, 12:31 PM

exemption.

I don't know why you would give them the option of playing in the ACCCG every 3 yrs. I know they would have to win all their ACC games to exercise it, but they could theoretically bump Clemson out if they decided to represent the Atlantic.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: WIll the ACC ever wise up and realign divisions?

Jul 28, 2016, 12:32 PM

Eww no I dont want to play GTech every year.. oh wait a minute..

GT..say hellO to DL & LB'er blown out knees every year

Jul 28, 2016, 12:41 PM

The Yellow bellied cowards!

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: GT..say hellO to DL & LB'er blown out knees every year

Jul 28, 2016, 12:57 PM

I think GT's future success (or lack thereof) will seal PJ's fate and their new coach will not be a triple option guy...

...but then again, have you ever heard the postulation (mostly from residents of the Peach State):

What if Paul Johnson had the caliber of running backs and lineman that UGA gets with which to run the option?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Whatever choice(s) you make makes you. Choose wisely.

Re: GT..say hellO to DL & LB'er blown out knees every year

Jul 28, 2016, 3:52 PM

Wasn't there new rules imposed about "chop blocking" that were designed to eliminate such blocking this year? Remember hearing something to the effect that "it would effect some teams more than others" i.e. GT.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 28, 2016, 12:57 PM

If they aren't going to do it based on geography then it's a waste of time. The way it;s setup now only fans who follow the ACC closely have any clue what teams are in each divison. Trying to set the divisons so that they're competive today is just a short term thinking, the ACC should do what every other league has done and go to a geography based system.

Exactly. How in the world would it make sense to have...

Jul 29, 2016, 9:56 PM

...FSU and Miami in a division with BC, Syracuse, and Pitt? North and South divisions are the only ones that make any geographical sense. May as well stick with what we have now.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I was 6 my Mother let me have a kitten. It died. Don't send prayers, a TU is better." - tugalooriver circa 2022

Re: Exactly. How in the world would it make sense to have...

Jul 29, 2016, 10:58 PM

The northern teams wouldn't go for that..The main reason they joined the ACC was to have the opportunity to play southern teams more often for recruiting purposes.

Jul 28, 2016, 1:17 PM

I rather get FSU out the way, than play them in the ACCCG or 2 times in the same season.
I like it like it is we beat FSU and pretty much are the Champs.

Doing away with divisions altogether would be far

Jul 28, 2016, 1:42 PM

superior, especially from an annual regular season standpoint.

With our existing 8-game schedule, we (and everyone) could schedule 3 must-play annuals then rotate through every other team in the league 2x every four years. It's sick how simple this is and how much it strengthens the ACC's regular season.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Doing away with divisions altogether would be far

Jul 29, 2016, 11:12 PM

I've said the same thing and love the 3-5 no divisions format that some have proposed, but I think it would require an NCAA rule change. From what I understand, current rules only allow conferences with at least 12 teams and divisions to have a playoff.

I believe the SEC has mulled the idea but it just hasn't got much support because the perennial bottom feeders of the conference like SC would essentially have no chance in heck of ever winning the conference if they did.

Jul 28, 2016, 2:19 PM

Be careful what you wish for. If Swofford has anything to do with screwing CLEMSON (and FSU in the process) is to put them in separate divisions, but have them play each other every year in the regular season. That was, one of the 2 schools would have to beat the other team TWICE just to ever get to the NC playoff IMO. The system is so rigged towards the SEC, that losing the regular season game, but winning the ACC Championship would not be enough to get the ACC team into the playoff. But - that's JMO.

Too busy protecting UNCheat from the NCAA***

Jul 28, 2016, 3:14 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Jul 28, 2016, 3:25 PM

They can't even figure out that scheduling CU and FSU later in the year hurts the chance of having two in the playoffs. Playing late in the year gives neither of them a chance to recover in the polls.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We do Chicken right...it's not just for frying anymore!

Jul 29, 2016, 11:55 PM

OP makes a good argument that conferences should just make it easier for my team.

The SEC should realign to

East:
Vanderbilt
South Carolina

West:
Alabama
Auburn
Florida
Georgia
Kentucky
LSU
Ole Miss
Miss State
Texas A&M
Arkansas
Missouri
Tennessee

Would really be for the best.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Smelley, Garcia, and Beecher are going to lead you to 4-8." - york_tiger

I agree with others. Needs to be geographic

Jul 30, 2016, 1:20 AM

It doesn't have to be necessarily geographic 100%, but the divisions should at least make some geographic sense (See the SEC, where Missouri is in the East division, despite being the third most western school in the league... yes, I know that was more to ensure expansion could go as seamlessly as possible). My proposal is one cross-division rival per team and a 9 game schedule. Anyways, here is how I see the divisions (Cross Division rival in parenthesis)...

South
Miami (Boston College)
Florida State (Syracuse)
Georgia Tech (Virginia Tech)
Clemson (Pitt)
NC State (UNC)
Wake Forest (Duke)
Louisville (Virginia)

North
North Carolina (NC State)
Duke (Wake)
Boston College (Miami)
Virginia Tech (Georgia Tech)
Virginia (Louisville)
Pitt (Clemson)
Syracuse (Florida State)

When/if Notre Dame joins the league, they join the North division. The south likely gets the other newcomer, unless that newcomer is UCONN who would ALSO need to go north (the same applies for other schools like Cincy that obviously belong in the North). At which point, I think you move Louisville to the north too and then shift UNC/Duke to the South.

I'd love to play you guys or Florida State every year, but I think the league would look to keep the Battle of the Techs going.

Replies: 17
| visibility 1,786
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic