Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Is DW4 catholic?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 47
| visibility 1

Is DW4 catholic?

Jul 27, 2016, 10:36 AM

I can't help but notice that he makes the sign of the cross before the first snap of each game. Fyi, dont try to tell me the sign of the cross is not catholic in both origin and current usage in doctrine. You do not see southern baptists or lutherans doing this. You can tell this is a ritual for DW4.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Is DW4 catholic?

Jul 27, 2016, 10:38 AM

Who cares

apparently the poster does, I was curious as well.***

Jul 27, 2016, 11:43 AM

FFRF?***

Jul 27, 2016, 10:41 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

episcopal/Anglicans do this as well

Jul 27, 2016, 10:41 AM

Fwiw

Re: and you dont even want to know what we Methodists do

Jul 27, 2016, 10:44 AM

;)

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Talk to fellow Methodists in the liquor store?

Jul 27, 2016, 12:59 PM

That's something we Baptists don't do ... along with dancing.

:)

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I was young, I was sure of many things; now there are only two things of which I am sure: one is, that I am a miserable sinner; and the other, that Christ is an all-sufficient Saviour. He is well-taught who learns these two lessons." -John Newton

Jul 27, 2016, 10:54 AM

And this matters, how?

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 27, 2016, 4:14 PM

The OP never said it "matters". He's just asking the question. Nothing wrong with that.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Is DW4 catholic?***

Jul 28, 2016, 11:14 PM

Maybe it's just his way of acknowledging God and thanking Him for the opportunity He has given.***

Jul 27, 2016, 10:56 AM

Absolutely......and totally appropriate!**********

Jul 27, 2016, 11:04 AM

While it is more common in the Catholic, Episcopal and

Jul 27, 2016, 11:07 AM

Lutheran Churches, it isn't exclusive to them. A lot of people have done it through the years. In
a lot of cases to make a public display of who they acknowledge as Lord.

HTH

In sports, the gesture is not really catholic anymore

Jul 27, 2016, 11:13 AM

Whether it should be, must be, or can only be catholic is a long conversation. Just saying non-catholic athletes have adopted a version of it as a quick prayer of thanks after touchdowns and home runs.

Re: In sports, the gesture is not really catholic anymore

Jul 27, 2016, 11:23 AM

Agreed! Nice gesture to show thanks & appreciation for gifts & accomplishments.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Maybe it's the easiest way to make a visible acknowledgement

Jul 27, 2016, 11:17 AM

Or maybe he's just doing this:

Catholicism is the origin of Christianity

Jul 27, 2016, 11:18 AM

Based on this fact. Every Christian is Catholic by origin. We are all brothers in faith. The sign of the cross is just his way of showing his belief in Jesus Christ. Do with that what you will.

Message removed by Author

Jul 27, 2016, 11:20 AM

Message removed by Author

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

Nevermind, I don't want to get involved.***

Jul 27, 2016, 11:26 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

Lol, really loled.

Jul 27, 2016, 11:40 AM

Good move.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Don't worry, I had to bite my tongue as well because this is

Jul 27, 2016, 11:42 AM [ in reply to Nevermind, I don't want to get involved.*** ]

one that could turn into novels, and hard to win with sound bites.

Com'On Francis...don't make the trolling so easy.***

Jul 27, 2016, 11:46 AM [ in reply to Message removed by Author ]

Tell that to those who follow

Jul 27, 2016, 12:24 PM [ in reply to Catholicism is the origin of Christianity ]

Greek/Eastern Orthodoxy, Oriental/Coptic Orthodoxy, Or Nestorian beliefs such as the Assyrian Church of the East.

Yikes dude. No it's not.

Jul 27, 2016, 4:21 PM [ in reply to Catholicism is the origin of Christianity ]

What constitutes Catholicism has changed dramatically and the phrase "Catholic Church" didn't even exist until generations after Jesus' lifetime.

It was a constantly evolving attempt to unify the disparate elements under early Christendom. For a few hundred years Arian Christians outnumbered "Catholic"/Nicene Christians.

So it's a lot more complicated than how you worded it.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Yikes dude. No it's not.

Jul 27, 2016, 4:33 PM

Yikes dude. Educate yourself. Also, GO TIGERS!

http://www.christian-faith.com/which-church-did-jesus-christ-found/

Seems legit***

Jul 27, 2016, 4:35 PM

Jul 27, 2016, 4:48 PM [ in reply to Re: Yikes dude. No it's not. ]

You really should evaluate your source before posting it as some sort of evidence that Catholicism is the original version of Christianity.

Have you ever heard of Ignatius of Antioch?

It's possible Michael Fackerell at Christian-faith.com hasn't either.

http://www.christian-faith.com/about_michael_fackerell/

This isn't really debatable... you may be out of your element here. You have to understand how revisions and translations of the Bible over time has altered the concept of "Catholicism." Your link doesn't really even approach the historical/linguistic context surrounding Christianity in its infancy.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 27, 2016, 5:20 PM [ in reply to Re: Yikes dude. No it's not. ]

Actually Cola, Completely Solid Orange has a point. The first recorded use of the term "Catholic" was indeed Ignatius of Antioch in a letter to Christians in Smyrna about 108 CE. But you have to remember that the word itself meant 'whole' or 'universal'. However, the use of that word and "The Catholic Church" are dramatically different. "Christianity" actually began as a Jewish sect in the mid-1st century. Later in the Catechetical Discourses of Saint Cyril of Jerusalem the name "Catholic Church" was first used to distinguish it from other groups that also call themselves the church. This was approximately 350 CE. (Wiki)

In the strictest sense, the 'Christian Church" was founded by the Apostles as can be found in the New Testament. Therefore, all christian churches sprang from that effort. Now, THE Catholic church claims that it arose from and was founded by Peter and traces a direct Apostolic line directly from him to modern day.

Historical evidence, however, shows that there were other Christian Churches that developed at the same time. So in the final analysis all Catholics come from the apostolic church, but all Christians do not come from the Catholic Church.

;)

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Catholicism is the origin of Christianity

Jul 27, 2016, 11:01 PM [ in reply to Catholicism is the origin of Christianity ]

Sorry, that is incorrect. Read Acts. Jesus is the origin of Christianity. They even named it after him. :)

Jul 27, 2016, 11:34 PM

Jesus, then St. Peter, who founded the church in Rome. St. Peter passed along leadership to the Bishop of Rome who Became the Pope of the Holy Roman Church/Catholic. Dang, I knew one day all those Christianity and Western Civ classes would come in handy. Was getting worried since Jeopardy hasn't called yet. :)

Jul 28, 2016, 2:34 PM

Exactly. My post was lost in translation. I was baptised Catholic, when I was 25 yrs old. I love all my brothers in faith. I do not think because you are not Catholic, you're going to hell. I do not feel Catholics are superior in any way to other Christians. I simply chose it due to the fact that the Catholic church can be traced back directly to Jesus Christ. Seemed appropriate. I wasn't trying to be difficult or start a post war. DW4 is a faithful man. Good enough for me. Anyway...peace to you all and GO TIGERS!

Jul 27, 2016, 12:07 PM

I hope not, everyone knows Catholics aren't real Christians.

Jul 27, 2016, 12:09 PM

Try again.

Jul 27, 2016, 12:10 PM

I said I HOPE NOT, EVERYONE KNOWS CATHOLICS AREN'T REAL CHRISTIANS.

Jul 27, 2016, 2:45 PM

Pathetic.

Jul 27, 2016, 9:10 PM [ in reply to Re: Is DW4 catholic? ]

Umm, huh? That seems a bit of an odd statement.

Jul 27, 2016, 9:18 PM

I am Catholic, but I also have several relatives who are Baptist and Methodists, the wife being a Methodist in fact. That said the cross has been signed by athletes for decades. One of the first I recall was a running back from Oklahoma in the Switzer days who always signed when he scored. But t really is of no matter what faith he practises in my book. He's a fine young man who is as talented as anyone I have seen, and he is also humble, giving praise to God. While I would prefer he cut down on some of the Cam stuff after TD's its hard to dislike anything about what he does.

look how desperately everyone in this thread doesn't want

Jul 27, 2016, 12:20 PM

him to be catholic

DW4 is little c catholic. Dont know if he is big C Catholic.***

Jul 27, 2016, 1:08 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 27, 2016, 3:17 PM

I'm pretty sure he's a Muslim

If he is Catholic the sign of cross is north, south, east

Jul 27, 2016, 5:36 PM

then west not...North, South, West and East....just saying.. but DW you are still da man.

Jul 27, 2016, 5:39 PM

I'm Lutheran and I do this; I also genuflect. Yes, both of these practices originated in the Catholic church, but it predates Lutheranism, Baptists, etc. by a lot, so to say that crossing oneself is purely Catholic in practice. Love, your local Religious Studies major.

This thread escalated quickly

Jul 27, 2016, 6:38 PM

It all reminds me of eating in the Hendrix center and someone telling me I was going to Hell because I wasn't saved. Oh well.

Yes there are some loons out there who believe

Jul 27, 2016, 7:46 PM

If you are not their sect of a certain religon you are going to he)). Who really cares what DW4 is? Catholic, Baptist, Pentecostal, Budist, Islam, Atheist, I really don't care he is a heck of a football player and this is supposed to be a football page.

I'm Lutheran

Jul 27, 2016, 9:20 PM

and we do it at my church

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

it's actually a Rastafarian gesture

Jul 27, 2016, 9:34 PM

Grab the plant from the top, move it side to side to loosen the roots. Then pull up from the base/bottom. Jah provides

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 27, 2016, 9:38 PM

it's more of swag way of praising God for younger people. lots of athletes do it.

AS long as he is praising God in some form, I am good with

Jul 28, 2016, 2:41 PM

it. Now, it probably gets the Atheists panties in a wad, but they have nothing good to look forward to anyway.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 47
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic