Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Hopkins wants know why he gets no $$$ from fantasy sports
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 58
| visibility 1

Hopkins wants know why he gets no $$$ from fantasy sports

Jun 26, 2016, 10:36 AM

http://www.totalprosports.com/2016/06/25/texans-wr-deandre-hopkins-wants-to-know-why-he-doesnt-get-money-from-fantasy-football/

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Hopkins wants know why he gets no $$$ from fantasy sports

Jun 26, 2016, 10:51 AM

Fantasy Football is part of the reason why the NFL is so immensely popular and, therefore, NFL salaries are so high. Nuk, you are getting paid plenty thanks to Fantasy, don't be naive.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

This is dangerously close to crossing a line, Nuk. Your cut

Jun 26, 2016, 11:04 AM

comes in the form of advertisers and popularity making your 2nd contract more than any of us will make in our lives. Besides, a lot of money to us "peons" is 4 figures. Want to trade? There's your cut from me.

4 figures?! Geez, I won $50, I'll trade with Nuk.***

Jun 27, 2016, 7:50 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_pickem_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-soccerkrzy.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cole @ Beach Cole w/ Clemson Hat

Clemson player or not, comments like

Jun 26, 2016, 11:07 AM

this just make me sigh. C'mon, Nuk.

Get you a slice of humble pie, Nuk.

Jun 26, 2016, 11:22 AM

nm

Vegas has been making money off players

Jun 26, 2016, 11:35 AM

For decades. Why fantasy now?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2005_majors_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-xtiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Is fantasy sports in contract with the NFL?***

Jun 26, 2016, 11:38 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oh geez, gimme a break....***

Jun 26, 2016, 12:02 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I agree with him.***

Jun 26, 2016, 12:33 PM

The arguments that "he makes more than I ever will..."

Jun 26, 2016, 12:53 PM

Simply are not relevant in this discussion. That should not be a basis for stating that player names and likenesses being used without consent is "okay." Given the multi-billion dollar per year industry that is fantasy sports, I think the NFLPA deserves a cut to be distributed among players in the same fashion that licenses to sell player jerseys are treated.

Nuk has a point.

the shouldn't every newspaper, tv station and blogger

Jun 26, 2016, 2:05 PM

Give him money for using his name when writing/talking opinion pieces and articles? They all make money off of it.

They fall under the "news reporting" exception of

Jun 26, 2016, 2:38 PM

privacy law.

Re: The arguments that "he makes more than I ever will..."

Jun 27, 2016, 7:58 AM [ in reply to The arguments that "he makes more than I ever will..." ]

Yes he does. Just because he makes a lot of money doesn't mean he shouldn't want to make money where money is due. People who think he makes so much money that it shouldn't matter are ridiculous.

I take it, Nuk wasn't a math major...***

Jun 26, 2016, 1:23 PM

Re: I take it, Nuk wasn't a math major...***

Jun 26, 2016, 1:33 PM

Most of them aren't lol

If EA Sports can't use likeness, why can fantasy? I don't like it, but its a fair question.***

Jun 26, 2016, 1:27 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

But is it actually using his likeness?

Jun 26, 2016, 1:55 PM

Reporters make money from talking about players, analyzing their games and stats, keeping a close eye on athletes personal lives' and the players see no money from it. ESPN actually shows the player's highlights and lowlights from games, and they see no money from it. To me, it is the same. All fantasy football does is use names and what the player did on the field.

Re: But is it actually using his likeness?

Jun 26, 2016, 4:39 PM

It's not likeness, all what fantasy teams are is a parlay on how a player will perform on any given week.

Brad Brownell: more losses than any other coach in school history.

EA can't use college likenesses because they are amateurs.

Jun 26, 2016, 3:07 PM [ in reply to If EA Sports can't use likeness, why can fantasy? I don't like it, but its a fair question.*** ]

They can use NFL player likenesses (Madden franchise) because they negotiated a deal with the NFLPA. The amount they pay is peanuts though and i doubt the players really see any of it.

Because fantasy isn't using likeness***

Jun 27, 2016, 7:52 AM [ in reply to If EA Sports can't use likeness, why can fantasy? I don't like it, but its a fair question.*** ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_pickem_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-soccerkrzy.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I wonder how much he has paid out when someone lost money

Jun 26, 2016, 2:06 PM

on him?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The daily fantasy games will be outlawed nationwide someday,

Jun 26, 2016, 2:51 PM

like they already are in specific states (like NY). How would he get money from standard fantasy games where the site collects little to nothing?

Why isn't he getting a cut of all bets placed on the

Jun 26, 2016, 3:00 PM

Texans too? Love ya Nuk, but you are way off on this one buddy.

Re: Hopkins wants know why he gets no $$$ from fantasy sports

Jun 26, 2016, 4:37 PM

Sorry, Nuk but take it up with up with the NFLPA

Brad Brownell: more losses than any other coach in school history.

Pathetic

Jun 26, 2016, 4:52 PM

some of these guys are never happy!!
Make a BLUE million every year, while millions
of people around the world are wondering where
their next meal is coming from....He's just
being selfish. And don't care who they are.

Give me a break.

Re: Pathetic

Jun 27, 2016, 7:59 AM

He worked his butt off to make that money dude. You and I had the same opportunities that he did when we were born.

And fantasy football has nothing to do with him making

Jun 27, 2016, 8:02 AM

money...

Re: And fantasy football has nothing to do with him making

Jun 27, 2016, 8:10 AM

They are making money off his name. If they have a contract with the nfl I understand.

He has contracts with the NFL, yes. His contract costs so

Jun 27, 2016, 8:22 AM

much because of the increased revenue fantasy sports brings the NFL, so he is getting a share. Just because an individual happened to make money on a good week he had, doesn't mean they're making "money off his name".

This would be like betting on who would win employee of the month. If you picked Bob to win and he wound up winning, do you think Bob is entitled to some of your winnings?

Re: He has contracts with the NFL, yes. His contract costs so

Jun 27, 2016, 8:25 AM

Fantasy football is not the same as gambling. If I bet on Nuk to go over a certain amount of yards and he did I could see why he would want a cut lol. Idk all the paper work about fantasy and the nfl tho. I know they twist things so it will be legal. I can see why he feels he should be making money from it tho. We are not in his shoes to really judge.

Fantasy football is not the same as gambling?!

Jun 27, 2016, 8:26 AM

News to me there, LOL.

So when Nuke goes under a certain amount of yards, he should have to pay us then.

Re: Fantasy football is not the same as gambling?!

Jun 27, 2016, 8:28 AM

I didn't say he should or shouldn't I just can see where he would think he should. I'm just not one to bash somebody who wants some money being made off his name and his work is all.

Not sure why I got pulled into this conversation, but yes,

Jun 27, 2016, 9:08 AM [ in reply to He has contracts with the NFL, yes. His contract costs so ]

I did win employee of the month.

And yes, I think I am entitled to some of your winnings.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aspiring member of the TigerNet Sewer Dwellers

Re: And fantasy football has nothing to do with him making

Jun 27, 2016, 8:11 AM [ in reply to And fantasy football has nothing to do with him making ]

It's just stupid for people to say oh he makes so much money I would trade with him anyday and not complain about wanting more. He should want all the money he can make he is working for it. He came up from nothing. Anybody has a chance to go pro he just did it!

Surely you're aware that "anybody has a chance to go pro"

Jun 27, 2016, 8:19 AM

isn't remotely true at all, right?

Re: Surely you're aware that "anybody has a chance to go pro"

Jun 27, 2016, 8:21 AM

Very true it is. Adam did it. He isn't amazingly physically gifted. I will give you anybody with decent size and skill. You work for skill and lift for size tho.

There's far more genetics involved than working your ### off***

Jun 27, 2016, 8:22 AM

Re: Surely you're aware that "anybody has a chance to go pro"

Jun 27, 2016, 8:22 AM [ in reply to Surely you're aware that "anybody has a chance to go pro" ]

Either way Nuk could be working at McDonalds and he isn't because he worked his butt off. He earned what he makes.

No one is arguing that, the argument is that he shouldn't

Jun 27, 2016, 8:23 AM

be paid for fantasy football stats.

Re: No one is arguing that, the argument is that he shouldn't

Jun 27, 2016, 8:26 AM

Many people on here are arguing that he makes so much money he shouldn't worry about it. It's okay to say just your point but to say he makes so much money it shouldn't matter gets to me.

They're just pointing out his greed. He's making a level of

Jun 27, 2016, 8:27 AM

money that is beyond what anyone needs, to be greedy over something that he arguably shouldn't be making money on to begin with is just that, greed.

Re: They're just pointing out his greed. He's making a level of

Jun 27, 2016, 8:31 AM

It is not greed if he feels he is doing work for others to make money from his work. I understand your side of it but you guys should try to understand his. I would most likely be okay with it but he may have been raised differently. If he feels he should be making some of that money seeing that he is the reason for it I am not going to bash him.

I see his, it's akin to the employee of the month analogy.

Jun 27, 2016, 8:33 AM

Or gambling on someone's sales' stats.

It's absurd to think I'm entitled to a cut of someone's winnings for gambling on my performance at my job.

Re: I see his, it's akin to the employee of the month analogy.

Jun 27, 2016, 8:55 AM

Which is really illegal

Re: I see his, it's akin to the employee of the month analogy.

Jul 1, 2016, 10:26 AM [ in reply to I see his, it's akin to the employee of the month analogy. ]

if someone takes Nuk and loses money, is Nuk to help with the financial loss?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonormyfavorange.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 27, 2016, 9:23 AM [ in reply to Re: Pathetic ]

> He worked his butt off to make that money dude

Agreed.

> You and I had the same opportunities that he did when we were born.

Not really though. Some people are born with more talent then others. No matter how hard I worked I could never be a professional wide receiver.

People are most certainly not all born with the same opportunities.

Jun 27, 2016, 10:10 AM

Why not? How y'all are you? I agree some people are not as athletic as others. Some has to do with genetics but a lot of people have talent and do nothing with it.

He is right possibly.**

Jun 26, 2016, 4:57 PM

nm

They already ruined the NCAA football video game.

Jun 26, 2016, 5:31 PM

Go ahead...ruin fantasy football, too.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

I think he should get a cut. And a bill when he costs money...

Jun 26, 2016, 7:27 PM

and suspended from the league for participating in gambling on football.

Hoping he deleted the tweets because his agent set him straight.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

C'mon Nuk

Jun 27, 2016, 8:42 AM

You're one of my favorite Clemson players EVER!!!

but how can you not realize how much of an impact fantasy football has on the popularity of the NFL?? If it weren't for fantasy football I wouldn't watch(and likely millions of others in that boat) and I didn't for 5 or so years while I wasn't playing fantasy football.

I love college sports and watch them religiously but pro sports don't interest me as much. Without DFS or just regular FREE fantasy football I wouldn't watch and you'd lose a lot of others as well.

It always amazes me when people don't realize who the customer is and where they'd be without them..

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Clemson has been historically better than Carolina. That's pretty obvious." - Classof09

"No one knew we were overhyped until the season started." - Classof09

Re: C'mon Nuk

Jun 27, 2016, 8:54 AM

NFL would be just fine without fantasy football.

Jun 27, 2016, 9:00 AM

It's quite simple...They wouldn't make as much money once contracts started expiring. Viewership WOULD go down without it and you aren't gonna make as much money with lower viewership.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Clemson has been historically better than Carolina. That's pretty obvious." - Classof09

Jun 27, 2016, 9:03 AM

Ii doubt it has much impact. NFl was fine without it. People are still going to watch their team or bet on them. I agree it adds some but I don't think ppl would stop watching in general

Jun 27, 2016, 9:10 AM

I'll just leave a few examples here...

http://www.nfl.com/fantasyfootball/story/0ap2000000311267/article/roger-goodell-touts-growing-impact-of-fantasy-football

I know the articles can be written by anyone, but check out the Effect on Spectatorship. Some good references in there as well.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fantasy_football_(American)

I think Nuk just did a very poor job of raising a fair

Jun 27, 2016, 9:54 AM

question. I don't think he's looking for a "cut" of any player's winning. I think it's an interesting legal question as to whether the player's union should work with these huge, multi-billion dollar fantasy leagues and negotiate a cut, similar to EA Sports.

I THINK that's what he means...or maybe that's just what I hope he means. If he actually thinks he deserves a cut of the winnings when people play him and are successful in their fantasy league, then he's living in his own fantasy league.

null

You may be right, but that is why you pay agents and

Jun 27, 2016, 10:02 AM

dues to player's organizations, so you don't have to bring up stuff like that. He needs to issue a clarification, or better yet apologize for saying something stupid. I love Nuk too, and am disappointed that he stuck his foot in his mouth. Tweeting without thinking about what he was posting!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think he should tank his stats to teach them a lesson.

Jun 27, 2016, 10:12 AM

It will have zero impact on his career.

Replies: 58
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic