Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
What are your thoughts on Baylon Spector?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 30
| visibility 3,688

What are your thoughts on Baylon Spector?

Feb 10, 2016, 5:22 PM

He without a doubt has a cool name. Listed at 6'2", 200ish lbs. I believe he projects best to an OLB or Hybrid Safety role.

My question is: what is the potential of this kid and where/when can we expect him to play?

I've watched 20+min of his tape and most of it is at WR. He is pretty physical, but might not have great change of direction or top speed (hard to tell). Most of his safety tape is hitting a receiver or back hard after they have caught the ball or run down the field.

The videos didn't really show much of his potential at LB or Safety, so I'm wondering if anyone has seen this kid play in person a good bit and wants to share what they think.

I don't want to say he is a Dabo 5-hearter, because he is not, even though he is a legacy. He obviously has talent. But I'd like to hear some reasonable opinions on when/where we can expect him to be a difference maker.

Message was edited by: gtriple®

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Snowflake Basher........Out

Re: What are your thoughts on Baylon Spector?

Feb 10, 2016, 5:27 PM

I'm really glad that James Bond is protecting us from them...

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 10, 2016, 5:30 PM

Have seen this young man play at Calhoun High school several times. He is nothing but upside and will be developed to play. Tape tells you nothing about the heart or will of a man. Sit back and watch this player become a Tiger ! Legacy or no Legacy he earned what he got.

Feb 10, 2016, 8:59 PM

I know that heart and will are really important. But, unfortunately for many, it also requires a certain, rare level of athletic ability to compete at this level successfully. That's what I was asking about Baylon. He seems like he might be a more highly rated and larger Nolan Turner.

Feb 10, 2016, 5:43 PM

If your assessment is spot on he will be a special teams player and see action in the 3rd and 4th against SC State and the likes. Our recruiting is incredibly high for those types to see competitive action. It is what it is.Simmons is a beast and you know he will not play befor him.

That's what I'm worried about

Feb 10, 2016, 9:02 PM

That a kid that obviously has some talent comes here because he is a legacy and we are his best offer, but he sacrifices the option to get more playing time and possibly earn his way to the next level. I know this kid has heart, but I would say most of the kids Dabo recruits have heart. So if all are equal on heart, then a kid that has more athletic ability will get the nod.

Feb 10, 2016, 5:50 PM

He's halfway through his junior year. I will wait and see.

We offered and accepted his commitment.

Just wondering, what are your evaluation credentials and have you watched a full game?

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Exactly why I came here to ask for other's opinions genius

Feb 10, 2016, 9:08 PM

My evaluation is only based on all of his videos on Hudl. I've not watched a game, nor do I plan to. That's exactly why I came here to ask if anyone with more experience in player evaluation or that knows this kid better has a better take on what he provides.

No need to be a d*ck though. In no way was my comment rude, nor was I making ridiculous claims that would call my "credentials" into question. Go watch the videos yourself and see if you have the same opinion, then feel free to discuss it.

Re: Exactly why I came here to ask for other's opinions genius

Feb 10, 2016, 9:29 PM

I think he's a cross between John Lynch and Brian Dawkins, Sr.; both of who were lightly recruited.

Thank you for recognizing my genius!

Message was edited by: Country Gentleman®

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Feb 10, 2016, 10:13 PM

No problem. :) I hope you are right. Lynch was one of my favorite players.

Feb 10, 2016, 9:38 PM [ in reply to Exactly why I came here to ask for other's opinions genius ]

Out of all the commits we got, why did you single this one out?

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 10, 2016, 10:17 PM

I've watched the videos of the others and they are pretty obvious. Vinson needs to add some weight, but kid is a nasty blocker. I've watched the highlights of some of the top targets and leans too, but there's too many to go into detail until they start committing. Then, I'll watch more tape and if I have questions about any, I'll be sure to come back and ask. Thank you!

Feb 10, 2016, 9:10 PM

My thought is that he has a really cool name . Wonder if he is related to Ronnie ?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Robbie** and yes, he is his son.

Feb 10, 2016, 9:14 PM

That's why he gets the "legacy" tag. But I'm pretty sure this kid actually has potential and won't be considered a Dabo 5-hearter.

Re: Robbie** and yes, he is his son.

Feb 10, 2016, 9:20 PM

You have zero idea who Ronnie Spector is , do you ?
It's cool , I'm old . I get that .

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Ahh... Thanks Google... And yes, you are old.

Feb 10, 2016, 10:19 PM

haha.

Re: Robbie** and yes, he is his son.

Feb 10, 2016, 9:39 PM [ in reply to Robbie** and yes, he is his son. ]

You have a problem with Dabo's "five heartier"? Is that how you guys label commits that you don't deem worthy of a scholarship? Just curious.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No, quite the opposite

Feb 10, 2016, 10:24 PM

I love the scholarships that Dabo gives to players that most would not even take a second look at. He shows his true character through his actions, not his words. But, it is common knowledge that some of the players he has recruited are probably not ever going to contribute on DV on Saturdays. However, they do contribute in many other ways, including adding character, a family atmosphere, scout team work, etc.

Also, I said this guy is not a 5-hearter, but some might consider him so due to his name. So I'd like some more info/evaluation on the guy so I can tell them why he is not a 5-hearter and that he actually has good potential.

Any other attempts to call me out?

It just gets old for people to question Dabo's intent when

Feb 11, 2016, 12:01 AM

he offers someone they don't seem "worthy" by their "watching" the players film. Maybe next year we will be 15-0 and stop the doubting of Dabo's and teams talent evaluations.

You clearly misunderstood what I meant.

Feb 11, 2016, 6:23 PM

I am not saying he is not worthy of an offer. I'm just wondering what we can expect out of him. For example: I expected Deshaun to come in and make an immediate impact. But I did not expect Renfrow to earn a scholarship and show out on the biggest stage against Bama. I'm just trying to gauge how people think this kid fits into the puzzle.

I've got no problem and I actually like most of Dabo's offers. Although some of them I simply shake my head at, as long as Dabo keeps dominating at Clemson, I'll never question him.

Re: No, quite the opposite

Feb 11, 2016, 6:47 AM [ in reply to No, quite the opposite ]

Attempts to call you out? LOL Good try, kid.

Thank you for contributing to this discussion.

Feb 11, 2016, 6:26 PM

Have a good day.

Hybird Trot Palamolu and Ronnie Lott.

Feb 10, 2016, 10:29 PM

He also kicks the ball out of the end zone every time.

He's a kicker?

Feb 10, 2016, 10:31 PM

So we could be choosing between two bad*ss names for our LB-kickers soon. Skalski vs Spector. Sounds like a bad*ss Russian boxing match.

Re: Hybird Trot Palamolu and Ronnie Lott.

Feb 10, 2016, 11:03 PM [ in reply to Hybird Trot Palamolu and Ronnie Lott. ]

"Hybird Trot Palamolu and Ronnie Lott. "

Some people call him Troy. We're tight. I call him Trot.**

Feb 10, 2016, 11:10 PM

nm

Feb 10, 2016, 11:22 PM

He was tailor made to be our SAM. Venables loves him and personally offered. This didn't have anything to do with legacy. He was just picking up steam on the recruiting trail when he committed to us. Athletic fast and will probably play in the 215 range. He is about 6'1 or 6'2. Great ball skills and is a great young man who will thrive under venables. I didn't mind the turner take but Spector is a better player and I think he compares more to a tanner muse than turner.

Turner may better than Muse or Spector.

Feb 10, 2016, 11:49 PM

Dabo said Turner will leave one of the best of this great last great class.

Sweet, thanks for the info. One more question.

Feb 11, 2016, 6:29 PM [ in reply to Re: What are your thoughts on Baylon Spector? ]

I'm glad that there are a few TNet'ers that can actually contribute to a discussion instead of just calling everyone a "coot".

Beyond 2016, who else will we have that will fit the SAM role?

Feb 11, 2016, 1:35 AM

When this program starts going downhill and losing games we shouldn't , then you can earn the right to question this staffs recruiting.

For now , I'm going to call you " legacy coot " .

Thank you, cootfan, for contributing to this discussion.

Feb 11, 2016, 6:30 PM

Your thoughts are very valuable.

Replies: 30
| visibility 3,688
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic