Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Charlotte Journalist's Take on Denver:
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 17
| visibility 2,474

Charlotte Journalist's Take on Denver:

Feb 8, 2016, 2:27 PM

I must have been stoned when I agreed to do this. Why would anyone with a clear head and not affected by altitude sickness agree to take on the challenge of portraying the Mile High City of Denver as inferior to Charlotte?

I don't stand a chance. My only hope is that all Denver Post subscribers can't read this because they are stuck in their daily parking lot hell known as Interstate 70 or I-25. Or at least that they're so apathetic from smoking their legalized weed that they don't bother to e-mail me their thoughts.

There are people who can read in Denver, after all. It's not everyone who's being left behind by Denver Public Schools. A national report last fall found that Denver's better-off kids are doing OK. It's the 70 percent of kids who are poor who suffer from the worst achievement gaps in the nation.

Yes, I have my work cut out for me, because Denver is the greatest place on Earth, filled with the most stunning, most active, most beautiful people. Don't take it from me. Just ask them, they'll tell you. And tell you and tell you.

These are outdoor-loving people. On weekends, they hop in their Range Rovers and skid down their driveways headed for fun activities such as skiing, snowboarding and hopping over the homeless people who fill the downtown sidewalks.

The skiing is great, I'll grant you that. It's only if you want to do anything else with your life that the weather becomes a problem. It snows as much in Denver in the average October as it snows in Charlotte all year. Denver residents boast about all their days of sunshine (among endless other things), but you haven't lived until you've watched a storm from hell whip up on Denver within minutes.

Really, what's not to like about a place where the temperature drops below freezing 156 days a year? In Denver, they point out that it has hit 20 below zero or colder "only" 30 times since 1872.

It's OK; you can stay warm by standing near the wildfire.

It must be that kind of weather that drives so many people in Colorado to do drugs. It's not only the legal doobies. The state also ranks at or near the top nationally for alcohol consumption and for cocaine and other illicit drug use. (Presumably, this doesn't include their signature beer, Coors, which is closer to water than to a world's-best beer like, say, Charlotte's own Hop Drop 'N Roll from NoDa Brewing.)

Of course, if you paid $2,000 a month for a basic two-bedroom apartment, you'd be looking for a coping mechanism, too.

Charlotte can't even top Denver on the sports scene, because the cities are so similar. The Panthers and Broncos meet in the Super Bowl, of course. Both have NBA franchises, in the Hornets and Nuggets. And both have minor-league-level baseball, with the Knights and the Rockies.

I give up. Denver is too great. There is simply no better city to live in if you want to be in a place that thinks of "South Park" as high culture and that ranks last in kids' vaccinations, last in funding for state universities and first for sexually active women.

Plus, when you get the munchies during the Super Bowl, you can feast on the local specialty: bull testicles.

- See more at: http://www.therooster.com/blog/carol....cNwVwXrV.dpuf

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Best Is The Standard

did they fare better than the Panthers?***

Feb 8, 2016, 2:30 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-franc1968.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

oh, I put the emphasis on the wrong word***

Feb 8, 2016, 2:33 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-franc1968.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Charlotte Journalist's Take on Denver:

Feb 8, 2016, 2:36 PM

HR sounds like a ##### snowboarder.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

that's funny Charlotte is a city filled with boring people...

Feb 8, 2016, 2:43 PM

and terrible sports fans. At least the Broncos can fill their stadium with their own fans. Only way panthers fill their stadium is if a 1/3 or more of the fans are the opposing teams fans. And when the Cowboys come to Charlotte, there are more Cowboys fans in the stadium than panthers fans. I would rather freeze my #### off than tolerate all those arrogant Tarheel and coot fans living in the Charlotte area

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

is the Charlotte Hate Day on TNet?***

Feb 8, 2016, 3:12 PM

its just meant to be a joke :)***

Feb 8, 2016, 3:40 PM [ in reply to that's funny Charlotte is a city filled with boring people... ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Best Is The Standard

you never can tell these days***

Feb 8, 2016, 5:42 PM

What a crybaby

Feb 8, 2016, 3:47 PM

Low-class article

Relax. The reporters do this sort of thing all the time by

Feb 8, 2016, 4:16 PM

mutual agreement. It's meant in fun...like governors betting stuff. I'm sure there's one in the Denver newspaper about Charlotte.

null

I was right.

Feb 8, 2016, 4:26 PM

Viola:

http://www.denverpost.com/opinion/ci_29476738/battle-of-the-super-bowl-cities:-its-hard-to-hate-carolina-but-

null

So they are both low class and stupid

Feb 8, 2016, 10:44 PM

I dont need to relax, im not getting worked up

relax, already.***

Feb 8, 2016, 10:51 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The "Relax" may have been a bit too

Feb 9, 2016, 9:11 AM [ in reply to So they are both low class and stupid ]

condescending. Sorry for that.

You don't have to like the article, but at least recognize that the author is not even remotely serious. It's like getting angry at a comedian at a roast because he was mean. I'm not saying you have to like it, but take it for what it is.

From the Denver Post article:
Editor's note: The editorial boards of The Denver Post and The Charlotte Observer agreed to engage in a little trash talk leading up to Super Bowl 50. Post editorial writer Jeremy Meyer took up the challenge, wielding his pen against The Observer's Taylor Batten. Read Batten's column here.

null

Poor guy is butthurt something fierce***

Feb 8, 2016, 5:47 PM

Feb 8, 2016, 9:30 PM

This guy does not know brews. Colorado basically lead the microbrew craze. Boulder Beer, Odell's, New Belgium. Ever heard of these brewery's?

Having lived in Denver for 11 years and planning to go back- several issues-
1. Not below 0 156 days unless you get to higher altitudes. Heck there are 50 and 60 degree days in the winter.

2. Storm statement is true. Wait 10 minutes it will change. Buddy of mine was up from Charleston one year in May. Hiking in shorts at 2pm 10 inches of snow at 5pm. Good thing we were at a bar.

3. 16 th at mall does have some homeless people hanging around.

4. The statement about Denver people talking about how great it is. Yep that one is true.

5. I have not lived there since the legalization. So cannot speak to this.

Great city and great state, but so are NC and SC.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 8, 2016, 10:42 PM

Denver is a ghetto, but just drive a few miles outside the city and you are in God's country. I travel to Colorado regularly and I love the state. The only reason I even go to Denver is because it is the most convenient airport.

Charlotte is every big cities little cousin... If you've

Feb 8, 2016, 10:49 PM

traveled the country or the globe, you know what I mean. In 50 years they might be there. But not yet

Replies: 17
| visibility 2,474
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic