Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
If stats and production like these get you fired every CF coach
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 9
| visibility 1,020

If stats and production like these get you fired every CF coach

Nov 30, 2015, 12:36 AM

had better keep their resume undated and their eyes open for new and better opportunities.

Mark Richt 15 years of work at UGA.

-145-51 Approx 75% winning record
-2 SEC titles
-5 SEC Champ Games
-15 straight bowls
-9+ wins in 11/15 seasons

I hope MR returns to Athens like a hurricane as the HC of another team. (just not SC) MR deserves much better. Going from HC at UGA to SC is like being demoted from CEO to trash collector.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think they fired him too soon.

Nov 30, 2015, 3:03 AM

If they waited just a year or two, Georgia would have been on top of SEC East. McElwain is still trying to figure out Florida. South Carolina is back to the ground. Missouri needs to rebuild.

They don't have a QB this year and need to use a transfer who couldn't win the starting job at UVa. They'll have one of the best QB coming in the next recruiting class.

Let say if they still keep their recruits. I wouldn't want to be in their position. They could easily get a coach who come in and take all the benefits a year or two. So, they wouldn't figure out if the new coach is a real deal until maybe 4th or 5th year. If not, it's gonna be too late as things could go downhill.

Even if it's not. How much upside will they get?

My guess is they probably think that, with the current brand that they have now, they can still bring stellar recruiting class every year. Most coaches should be able to get about the same wins as Richt did.

Risky. Not sure if it's the right move though.

Hope some of their commits flip to us.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Regardless of Richt's record, his teams underachieved

Nov 30, 2015, 4:39 AM

and that is why he lost his job.

The SEC East has been as bad in the past 5 years as it ever will (probably) and UGA could not pull out a Natty during that time frame.

Top 10 recruiting classes every year....but that did not translate to the field each week.

Not advocating for UGA moving forward...but I can see their point.

If the goal was to have a high winning %, Richt was doing the job.

If the goal is the be the best.....he failed.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jim McElwain at Florida didn't help matters either.

Nov 30, 2015, 4:58 AM

I am sure it was hard for GA to watch their conference rival go from near bottom to SEC East champ with a coaching change. What will be strange is that if GA wins their bowl game they will have fired a head coach during a 10 win season. I can't remember that ever happening although it wouldn't surprise me if it has. Questions are, will GA sustain the great recruiting and if they do, who is the next guy and will he do any better?

Re: Jim McElwain at Florida didn't help matters either.

Nov 30, 2015, 5:54 AM

Alabama fired Mike Shula after a 10 win season.

Nebraska fired Frank Zolich after a 9 or 10 win season when he was winning those types of seasons each year.

mike shula got fired after going 6-7

Nov 30, 2015, 6:16 AM

the year before he won 10.

Nebraska has not had as good a season since they fired Solich for going 10-3 in 2003. Pelini has had 7 straight 4 loss seasons until a losing season this year.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Now the challenge for UGA is to see if they can do better

Nov 30, 2015, 6:01 AM [ in reply to Regardless of Richt's record, his teams underachieved ]

They are obviously convinced that they can identify and hire a better head man than Mark Richt.

Georgia has been "on the cusp" of greatness ever since the Hershel Walker days.

Honestly, it has been sort of a mystery as to why they continue to fall short. The school has everything needed to be a consistent Top-5 program.

We'll see who they bring in ... and if that man can do the job or not.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We see this type of move in business constantly where a

Nov 30, 2015, 4:50 AM

good leader moves the company positively but never can seem to reach the pinnacle of success. The powers-that-be then try to bring in another person capable of reaching the top.

Kind of reminds me of Tommy Bowden in a way, for while he was a good and decent man and leader, most Clemson people believed he had attained about as much success as he was capable. Hence, the move.

No doubt, Mark Richt will be highly sought, and I wouldn't be surprised to see his Alma Mater, Miami, try to obtain his services.

Well except Richt succeeded and Bowden never won a thing***

Nov 30, 2015, 6:17 AM

Re: Well except Richt succeeded and Bowden never won a thing

Nov 30, 2015, 7:38 AM

while true he was a coot killer which prolonged his tenure

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 9
| visibility 1,020
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic