Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Do we still have an issue with kickoff coverage.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 9
| visibility 885

Do we still have an issue with kickoff coverage.

Oct 4, 2015, 9:23 PM

Noticed they were close to taking a couple to the house.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car."

"I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it."

Yes, but it was better

Oct 4, 2015, 9:25 PM

Still produced one of the best plays of the night, with Lakip destroying the returner

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

When the kicker makes the tackle there are issues...........***

Oct 4, 2015, 9:30 PM

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Eh, in better weather Lakip will knock about

Oct 4, 2015, 9:32 PM

2/3 out the end zone. The one that they busted loose was an obvious directional kick and someone failed to get the edge on one side. Still correctable stuff.

2024 student level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2008_ncaa_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-clemsonpoker489.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I hope you're right, but I don't think he has the leg

Oct 4, 2015, 9:48 PM

Getting benefit of a touchback 2/3 of the time would be a tremendous advantage.

But, honestly even Pinion had to work to achieve that sort of percentage.

Finding a guy with with the sort of leg that produces mostly touchbacks is worth a scholarship in my mind, even if he never attempts a FG.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You and my grandfather are kindred spirits in that regard.

Oct 4, 2015, 9:52 PM

Every kickoff he wants it out the back of the end zone. I don't necessarily disagree, but with the touchback coming out to the 25, I think there's a time for a high, hanging kick that lands inside the five and forces them to try to get to the 25.

Honestly surprised more coaches haven't caught on that if the ball is AT ALL in the end zone, the percentage play is to take the knee now. Can't tell you how many times I've seen guys come out from two yards deep and get to the 21, thereby losing four yards in the process of expending energy.

2024 student level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2008_ncaa_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-clemsonpoker489.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I agree - bringing it out to the 25 does change things a bit

Oct 4, 2015, 10:15 PM

Starting a drive at the 25 is not a bad thing, but the big kick off return is so often a catalyst for establishing momentum or creating a momentum shift.

I think the percentages of having to drive 75 yards to score every time really hampers offensive efficiency in a game of evenly matched teams.

That's why I'm so "old school" about the touchback.

But, then again, I also actually see the "safety" as a reasonably effective tool in the right circumstances. Don't laugh! The Panthers should have taken a safety at the end of the Saints game last week. :)

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Taking a safety is a time honored strategic decision.

Oct 4, 2015, 10:35 PM

Nothing weird about that, in the right spot, of course.

Re: Do we still have an issue with kickoff coverage.

Oct 4, 2015, 10:02 PM

I would prefer to have excellent coverage and kick the ball short of the EZ, hoping to prevent them making the 25-yard line. But - we have issues doing that, so either kick it to the EZ or kick it out of bounds. Our coverage is lacking most times.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

issue with kickoff ... WTH happened on the last SHORT ko ??

Oct 5, 2015, 8:31 AM

Sure hope that was some miss kick as opposed to designed kick....cause it almost bit us in the _ _ _.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 9
| visibility 885
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic