Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
FB Update: WATCH: Top 10 Playmakers under Dabo Swinney
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 17
| visibility 1

FB Update: WATCH: Top 10 Playmakers under Dabo Swinney

Sep 2, 2015, 4:48 PM

WATCH: Top 10 Playmakers under Dabo Swinney

Read Update »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: FB Update: WATCH: Top 10 Playmakers under Dabo Swinney

Sep 2, 2015, 4:56 PM

CJ should be #1

Agreed, great list, but don't agree with order.

Sep 2, 2015, 5:15 PM

C.J. is #1 IMO.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Sep 2, 2015, 5:29 PM [ in reply to Re: FB Update: WATCH: Top 10 Playmakers under Dabo Swinney ]

NO chit. CJ is the most dynamic and versatile player I've ever seen.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 2, 2015, 5:47 PM [ in reply to Re: FB Update: WATCH: Top 10 Playmakers under Dabo Swinney ]

Absolutely agree! Maybe Sammy could have passed him had he have stayed another year...but maybe not with the QB challenges we had last year

Sep 3, 2015, 2:50 PM [ in reply to Re: FB Update: WATCH: Top 10 Playmakers under Dabo Swinney ]

CJ should be #1 . He was the best playmaker of all time at Clemson in my opinion , any decade under any coach .
When he was healthy you felt like the next time he touched the football they were going to be kicking an extra point ....often CJ showed you that you were justified in that feeling .
Also , James Davis was more Bowden than Dabo ...in terms of coachets tenure during the time he played as a Tiger .

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Chills!! God Clemson football is

Sep 2, 2015, 5:00 PM

So awesome!!

I think the order is about right but James Davis and Daquan

Sep 2, 2015, 5:31 PM

Bowers ... I'd put them under T Bowden.

Re: I think the order is about right but James Davis and Daquan

Sep 2, 2015, 6:27 PM

I agree about Davis, but Daquan only played a half of a season under Bowden. Might as well exclude Allen and CJ if that's the criteria.

Love Sammy, but CJ is #1***

Sep 2, 2015, 5:51 PM

CJ #1 and they should have shown the double juke he put

Sep 2, 2015, 6:04 PM

on those GT players on that Thursday night game. I'm sure they didn't have the rights to it or something, but that play still makes me smile.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rFIT-3gcAR8

null

Re: CJ #1 and they should have shown the double juke he put

Sep 3, 2015, 3:43 PM

That was a Saturday game. Clemson's first official Gameday.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That's right. Thanks. ******

Sep 3, 2015, 3:47 PM

null

CJ is #1. Few college players affected a game like he did

Sep 3, 2015, 3:32 AM

IMO CJ Spiller was about as great a player as you will ever see. To me, the only other player as versatile and dangerous is Reggie Bush and CJ was better. The dude scored rushing, receiving, punt return, kick return, PASSING and at least one 2-pt conversion. Scored 3 different ways in one game. 7000 all purpose yards, 8 and NCAA record Return TD's.

Had CJ went to one of the golden schools like Bama, FSU, Ohio State, US, etc. there would have been no reason to invite anyone but him to the Heisman presentation. 6th MY #### Top 5 ALL TIME player in NCAA history, IMO. I don't think there has ever been a player that has affected the game in so many ways. Hershal Walker and Bush are the only other two I can think of on this level.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Spiller is #1 under any coach not just Datboy***

Sep 3, 2015, 5:21 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Definitely need to reverse #1 and #2. Otherwise not bad.***

Sep 3, 2015, 9:06 AM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Disagree

Sep 3, 2015, 4:13 PM

I would have had them in a different order...
but, no one had more of an impact during their Clemson
career than Tajh Boyd.
A lot of you won't give him any REAL credit cause he didn't
beat the Coots (and no, he can't do it by himself)---Plus,
he's struggling getting a pro career going. But Tajh would
be number #1.

then, Spiller, Sammy, and Davis IMO.

Sorry Defense.

:)

I agree that Tajh's impact is often overlooked and

Sep 12, 2015, 3:55 PM

understated, but I just can't put him ahead of CJ in any ranking of offensive playmakers.

I bet if you asked just about any Clemson fan back in the Bowden era or during the Billy Napier days that we would have a QB accounting for roughly 40 total TD's in three consecutive seasons, they would have most likely looked at you like you were nuts. Tajh's 4000+ yard, 40+ TD seasons would have practically guaranteed him a Heisman only 15 years ago (Just look at Eric Crouch's Heisman campaign compared to Tajh's final two seasons).

However, despite the incredible numbers that Tajh put up, it would be shortsighted not to view his production with the impact of those around him. Not only did he have Chad Morris as his OC, but he was surrounded by an absolutely insane amount of future NFL talent at the skill positions. Five of his receiver are currently on active NFL roster—Nuk Hopkins, Sammy Watkins, Martavis Bryant, Jaron Brown, and Adam Humphries. He has Andre Ellington in the backfield for half of his career, and HotRod managed to have a 1000+ yard season of his own in Morris' offense. Dwayne Allen won the Mackey award in 2011 alongside Tajh. Brandon Ford may not have made it in the NFL, but he had an amazing senior season in his own right.

The success of all these guys goes hand in hand with Tajh Boyd both ways. Boyd benefited from these guys just like they benefited from him.

Now we have C.J. Spiller. Spiller played in a Clemson offense that can only be described as dismal compared to what was to come under Morris. Between Napier's predictable and mediocre playcalling and the lower talent level around him than what Tajh Boyd had, it makes CJ's career numbers all the more impressive, especially his record breaking senior season where he suffered nearly the entire year from severe turf toe.

During his historic 2009 campaign, Spiller was the only player in the nation to score a TD in every game of the year including the bowl game. He set the ACC record for all purpose yards in a game against #8 Miami with 310 yards only to break it less than a month later with 312 apy against FSU. He broke the 300 all purpose yard mark for a third time in the ACC Championship Game againt Georgia Tech. He broke the single season mark for return TD with 4 kick return TD and 1 punt return TD. He also set the career mark with a total of 8 return TD's. He managed to average an incredible 30+ yards per return on both punts and kickoffs as a senior.

Perhaps Spiller's most impressive characteristic was his big play ability. He absolutely epitomizes the cliche of a player being a threat to score every time he touches the football. He began his senior year with an NCAA record 7 consecutive games with a play of 60+ yards. His streak was snapped only when he was limited to five touches as he rested his toe during the Coastal Carolina game. He finished his senior year with a play of 58+ yards in 8 games.

I would also argue that it was Spiller that began to change the culture of Clemson in terms of the type of talent that came from out of state to play for our Tigers. Spiller could have gone anywhere in the country and he chose Clemson even though they hadn't won the conference or had double digit wins in close to two decades.

When CJ finished his football career at Clemson in 2009, he was the most prolific kick returner in college football history for both a single season and a career. Also, he was second all-time in all purpose yards to four year starter Brandon West of Western Michigan (West and Spiller actually went back and forth all year as seniors to determine who would finish in first place all-time). In terms of versatility, Spiller and Reggie Bush were the only two players in NCAA history to amass 2500 yards rushing, 1500 yards in kickoff returns, 1000 in receiving and 500 yards in punt returns. He also had 20 career TD's of over 50 yards.

The list of his career accolades goes on and on. He accomplished all of these feats despite being relegated to a backup role with James Davis getting first team reps at RB during Spiller's first three years at Clemson. It wasn't as though he didn't get opportunities though. For anyone wondering just how incredible CJ Spiller was, do yourself a favor and find one of his highlight videos on Youtube. Or if you don't have time to watch the insanely large number of highlights in his career, just watch his highlights in the 2006 Clemson Homecoming game against Georgia Tech. I'm not sure if I'll ever witness anything as incredible as the swing pass from Will Proctor where Spiller had two defenders directly in front of him within 5 yards yet he someone manage to make both of these GT senior star defenders grab nothing but air as he raced 50 yards for a TD without being touched.

To put it simply, Tajh Boyd was a great talent that put up the greatest numbers of any QB in the history of Clemson football that are comparable to the Heisman campaigns of Tim Tebow, Sam Bradford, Cam Newton, and Johnny Manziel. C.J. Spiller was purely magical. Those that were fortunate enough to see C.J. Spiller in person were often very aware that they were witnessing history. C.J. was THAT good.

If you ever have time, do yourself a favor and find the video of the Clemson-Virginia game back in 2009 and watch the second half of the 4th quarter. Hearing 81,000+ Tiger faithful scream CJ in the North stands and Spiller in the South stands was one of the most incredible things I've ever witnessed. It was said after the game when this was going on and Dabo was using his timeouts to honor him that one of the officials approached C.J and told him that in his decades long career serving as a college official, he had never once witnessed anything as moving as Clemson University's love, respect, and admiration for C.J. Spiller.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 17
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic