Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Going on record now....Slurrier still hates a black QB
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 58
| visibility 1

Going on record now....Slurrier still hates a black QB

Sep 2, 2015, 9:48 AM

Nunez has to be better than sugar pants Mitch. But if Nunez ever gets a snap....bet your bottom dollar it will be in the wildcat.
I suspect that the go-to gameplan tomorrow night is Cooper in the wildcat....a LOT.
No QB in Cootertown.....burn burn burn.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Here's your proof....

Sep 2, 2015, 9:52 AM

Steve's even taken heat before for oversigning as well as his lack of ever playing a black quarterback. Though he'd been coaching for 21 years, the first black quaterback to ever start for Steve was Antonio Heffner in 2005. Spurrier inherited African-American quarterback Donald Douglas at Florida in 1990. Douglas went through winter drills before taking the hint and transferring to Houston. In 1991, Spurrier signed quaterback Antwan Chiles who is also African-American. After asking him to change positions Chiles transferred to Liberty. In 2005, Spurrier again faced the same dilemma with quarterback Syvelle Newton who had started 5 games in 2004. The day Steve was hired Syvelle's high school coach, Dean Boyd, knew what was going to happen and went on record saying, “We all know what Spurrier likes to see in a quarterback: tall, blond-haired, blue-eyed. I fear it’s not going to be good for Syvelle. Syvelle’s a good college quarterback, but he isn’t the kind of quarterback Spurrier would go for.” Apparently Boyd was correct as Syvelle was quickly moved to wide receiver to make way for Blake Mitchell. Mitchell went down with an injury that year and Antonio Heffner was forced into duty. A first for Steve.

Dean Boyd isn't the only high school coach to have something to say about Spurrier. When he first arrived at South Carolina, the first thing he did was remove scholarships from 6 players which angered many South Carolina high school coaches who found the move very unethical. Even worse, the day before signing day of 2011 Spurrier removed an offer from two prospect who had been verbally committed for quite some time. The coach of one of the players, Walter Banks, told the Wall Street Journal "I told South Carolina coaches this was foul. I didn't have a clue until 18 hours before signing day, and if they say anything else, they're lying." In an interview with The State, Banks also said that South Carolina coaches "are no longer welcome at his high school. I cannot look a kid and their parent in the face and say you can trust what a University of South Carolina coach says." Spurrier later went on to defend oversigning and mocked the Big Ten for frowning upon the tactic of oversigning. If you're wondering who the other 2011 prospect to get cut by South Carolina was, look no further than All-American Lorenzo Mauldin of Louisville.

You have an interesting definition of "proof" there.

Sep 2, 2015, 10:00 AM

That looks like someones opinion article to me.

You didn't provide a source, though, so I could be wrong. Did you write this?

smh

Sep 2, 2015, 10:01 AM

Here's your proof

Sep 2, 2015, 10:08 AM [ in reply to You have an interesting definition of "proof" there. ]

Name 2 black qbs SOS has recruited in 25 years of coaching that he's given a start to. You can't.

Let's assume he's signed at least 25 qbs in 25 years and has coached only 250 games (10 per year...we all know it's more than that).

So I ask you: 1 start by 25 qbs in 250 games...can you reasonably look at the data and draw the conclusion that the statistical improbability is enough to raise a red flag?

By a guy with a solid reputation for developing quarterbacks?

Do you think he should start quarterbacks

Sep 2, 2015, 10:12 AM

based on the amount of melanin in their skin?

My answer is no, however you get OBS' answer from the

Sep 2, 2015, 11:08 AM

number of Black QB's that he has started. That defense was as weak as the one from cottervile...hang on...touchdown Artavis Scott!!!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Can you provide proof that Dabo does not have something

Sep 2, 2015, 10:15 AM [ in reply to Here's your proof ]

against white running backs?

Do you think the rate of starting white RBs under Dabo is a

Sep 2, 2015, 10:18 AM

statistical anomaly (significantly lower) that starting white RBs under all other D1 coaches?

If not, keep moving. But good try.

OK, I will believe what you are saying if you provide:

Sep 2, 2015, 10:21 AM

A breakdown of every college football coach in the last 20 years, and how many "white"/"black" QBs the coach has started.

A statistical analysis that shows that any difference in Spurrier's pattern is statistically significant.

I don't know if Dabo is an anomaly for "white" RBs. I don't have the data. Do you have the data for Spurrier as it relates to "black" QBs?

Here ya go. Everything u need in an all nice and tidy format

Sep 2, 2015, 10:32 AM

SOS
Career Record: 26 Years, 226-85-2.
Total games coached: 313
Starts given to a black QB that he recruited: 1

Ok, now the other coaches....***

Sep 2, 2015, 10:36 AM

Just this upcoming season alone a snapshot of the ACC starte

Sep 2, 2015, 10:54 AM

rs. Teams with black QBs that will start:

Clemson
Syracuse
BC
NCST
FSU
UNC
GT

What's that? Half? 50%? Projected for the SEASON...not just opening games. SOS is 0% (rounded) for every game of his career.

SEC:
Vandy
MSU
LSU
TN
A&M
Auburn

Nearly half?

That should be enough data for you to draw a sensible conclusion around the statistics.

I don't think you know much about statistics...

Sep 2, 2015, 10:56 AM

If you think that's even remotely enough data to make a statistical conclusion. You'll need a few hundred other data points.

Actually

Sep 2, 2015, 10:59 AM

a random and small sample, while not definitive, does in fact allow for general extrapolations to be made. You and I both know that.

Re: I don't think you know much about statistics...

Sep 2, 2015, 11:43 AM [ in reply to I don't think you know much about statistics... ]

I believe the acceptable cutoff in statistics is generally considered to be about 32 data points.

Oh, and you'll also have to further analyze the data

Sep 2, 2015, 10:43 AM [ in reply to Here ya go. Everything u need in an all nice and tidy format ]

to isolate melanin concentration in the skin from any other physical attributes of the QB. That way, there is proof that his preference is based solely on melanin concentration.

Re: OK, I will believe what you are saying if you provide:

Sep 2, 2015, 10:44 AM [ in reply to OK, I will believe what you are saying if you provide: ]

Here's a start: how many good white RBs have come out of the south recently? (Hint: I can't remember any.)
Now how many good black quarterbacks have come out of the south recently? Tons. Many of the best quarterbacks recently - Cam Newton, Deshaun Watson, Michael Vick - and plenty of others who have at least been college starters - Tajh, Jacory Harris, Marquise Williams, Blake Sims, Jeremy Johnson, Treon Harris, and plenty more I haven't mentioned.
The numbers don't support the "white running back" argument.

Keep in mind, we are talking about PROOF here.

Sep 2, 2015, 10:47 AM

Not opinions. I didn't say don juan was wrong. He's entitled to his opinion, and I'm sure he's thought long and hard about it. But he used the word "proof".

Ok, so you can wordsmith the world "proof" all you want

Sep 2, 2015, 10:56 AM

and you obviously want to create some kind of circular argument.

You're a smart fella. You know SOS's record on black qbs is poor.

I happen to not care about the melanin concentration

Sep 2, 2015, 10:57 AM

in a person's skin.

Me neither. Back on topic though, SOS statistically

Sep 2, 2015, 10:58 AM

may care. Based on who he has started over the past 313 games.

Re: Keep in mind, we are talking about PROOF here.

Sep 2, 2015, 11:10 AM [ in reply to Keep in mind, we are talking about PROOF here. ]

I'm going to go against the grain here and suggest that Spurrier isn't "racist" so much as he's a narcissist.

I don't think he dislikes black people. Wrong profession for that. My take is, Spurrier has always had the most luck with QB's who were basically younger versions of himself. The QB on a Spurrier team is basically a proxy, the joystick by which he vicariously plays the game. He still calls out reads, protections, tells the QB when and where to throw the ball...which is why his guys never do well in the NFL; they aren't reading the game, they're just sort of robotically following Spurrier's instructions in college, which usually - not always - works out well for them in college.

Even Connor Shaw - though mobile, a new thing for a Spurrier QB - was a 6'0" guy with a fairly modest but accurate arm, and the dude was tough. Basically, another Spurrier, albeit one who could actually run, which has gotten to be a necessity in the college game. Dylan Thompson was another Spurrier clone.

IMHO, it's always struck me that Spurrier doesn't dislike black QB's so much as he really, really likes himself, and so he always tends to select guys who remind him the most of Young Steve. Right around six feet. Brown hair, not blond. Not strong arms. Physically tough, accurate up to about 15-20 yards. Precise. It's just how he sees the game. He gets a guy with that skillset, he can call the plays in his sleep.

Slovenly, erratic, mobile, big-armed Stephen Garcia drove him to distraction. He didn't have a clue what to do with Syvelle Newton.

IMHO, Spurrier is not really a great student of the game, so much as he was a brilliant QB who figured out a way to keep playing.

Just my take, anyhow.

^^^THIS IS A GREAT POINT Even the coots may

Sep 2, 2015, 11:29 AM

agree

Now you don't need to prove to me he's a narcissist.

Sep 2, 2015, 11:36 AM [ in reply to Re: Keep in mind, we are talking about PROOF here. ]

That's for sure.

Re: OK, I will believe what you are saying if you provide:

Sep 2, 2015, 12:07 PM [ in reply to OK, I will believe what you are saying if you provide: ]

> A breakdown of every college football coach in the
> last 20 years, and how many "white"/"black" QBs the
> coach has started.
>

The was a site called "black quarterback" (bqb.com) that broke it down by school/year and had details about "repositioning" and transfers.

I think the domain is expired, but I'll try to find an archived copy for you to enjoy and make your own conclusions.

Spurrier's QB selection does lend itself to speculation in that regard, and that's been the case for over a decade, as you see here:

http://www.gatorsports.com/article/20020808/NEWS/208080335

and here:

http://www.gainesville.com/article/20050930/GATORS01/209300335

True, but in fairness,Nunez is not a College QB

Sep 2, 2015, 9:56 AM

Old Slurrier is a little stupid not moving him to WR this season. Outside of the King of Egypt, they have nothing else.That little 1 A WR will take at least a year getting used to college FB.

It just amazes me that after 11 years on the job, a Legend like Slurrier doesn't have a QB. That says more about recruiting for USuC than it does him.

He's shot himself in the foot with QB recruiting

Sep 2, 2015, 10:05 AM

Connor Shaw was the very first starting QB to graduate from SCAR as a starter under Slurrier.
As a parent, I'm looking at what typically happens to QBs at SCAR. Thompson and Shaw are the only two to graduate as starters....and where are they now?

I've always thought Spurrier's QBs were more "system" guys

Sep 2, 2015, 10:08 AM

not NFL-type talents. I wouldn't expect the top pro-style guys to want to play for Spurrier. I'd expect them to go places like Southern Cal.

Apparently for SOS, "system" means "white"

Sep 2, 2015, 10:09 AM

his track record is disgusting.

OK.

Sep 2, 2015, 10:11 AM

What should be the minimum percentage of games started by "black" quarterbacks for an FBS school, in your opinion?

I'm not sure what the number should be, nor that there

Sep 2, 2015, 10:15 AM

should even be a number.

What I do know is that you cannot defend his record of not starting black quarterbacks.

This sentiment is petty and stupid***

Sep 2, 2015, 10:11 AM

Which one?

Sep 2, 2015, 10:32 AM

The sentiment I have or the overt racism of Slurrier?
If it is the prior...my retort is thus....
Your mom is petty and stupid and the better part of you ran down her leg

Yep as if he wouldn't take DW, Cardale Jones, or

Sep 2, 2015, 10:46 AM [ in reply to This sentiment is petty and stupid*** ]

JT Barrett in a second.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Spurrier might also be racist towards kickers.

Sep 2, 2015, 10:49 AM

I'm not sure he's ever started a black kicker. So he doesn't like black QBs or kickers, but he likes the rest of the black people OK?

Clemson has had two black kickers. Can any other

Sep 2, 2015, 10:52 AM

university in the country make the same claim of diversity towards prospective kickers.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Clemson may actually be racist towards white kickers, then.

Sep 2, 2015, 10:54 AM

Would you say that Clemson's rate of white kickers is significantly lower than other schools? It appears that way.

He would take those guys

Sep 2, 2015, 10:50 AM [ in reply to Yep as if he wouldn't take DW, Cardale Jones, or ]

and turn them into wide receivers

That caliber of player(from OOS) would never commit to USuC

Sep 2, 2015, 10:55 AM [ in reply to Yep as if he wouldn't take DW, Cardale Jones, or ]

so that's never be an option.

OOS=Out Of State

Would they have at Florida?

Sep 2, 2015, 10:57 AM

And why not at USC? He's got the #1 qb from GA on his team now (4th string currently). So yes, he can get them there. He just won't start them at qb.

U mean A QB that wasn't really recruited as a QB

Sep 2, 2015, 11:11 AM

by most schools ? When a QB is the 32nd to 39th best player in the state, he's not that good.Like Cain, he'd make a good WR,not QB .Of course ,he's still not in Cain's class ,as a QB or a WR.

http://247sports.com/Season/2015-Football/CompositeRecruitRankings?InstitutionGroup=HighSchool&State=GA

No, I was responding to a post that

Sep 2, 2015, 11:16 AM

said to some effect that SOS can't recruit high enough caliber black qbs from out of state like Watson, Jones, etc. at SC.

He did get the #1 qb out of GA to go to SC. And he dayum sure could recruit whoever he wanted nationally while at FL.

Recruiting at Florida is a different animal

Sep 2, 2015, 11:39 AM

than recruiting at USuC. Getting the best QB out of Georgia , when most big schools weren't promising(recruiting as)a chance to be a QB, rather a DB or WR is no feat. Nunez is NOT a divison one QB. Hell wasn't Conner Mitch rated higher than Nunez by 247 ?

My point is that SOS could recruit at FL and

Sep 2, 2015, 11:58 AM

still started only 1 black qb. So he could recruit there, he just didn't start black qbs.

I dunno about schools not recruiting him as a QB. Ohio State wanted him as a QB, so he's evidently got potential.

Maybe there aren't any good black QBs out there

Sep 2, 2015, 10:40 AM

I mean look at the NFL. RG3? Bust. Vince Young? Bust. Scam Newton? Bust.

Just kidding, Slurrier has the rassist.

Re: Going on record now....Slurrier still hates a black QB

Sep 2, 2015, 10:59 AM

Brandon McIlwain is black the last time I checked. Just sayin.

He doesn't play for Spurrier

Sep 2, 2015, 11:02 AM

nor in college.

NEXT DeCootment, after a 5-7 season***

Sep 2, 2015, 11:13 AM [ in reply to Re: Going on record now....Slurrier still hates a black QB ]

^^^^^^^ REALLY NEEDS TO BE POSTED TO FGF

Sep 2, 2015, 11:07 AM

nice

null

Sep 2, 2015, 11:27 AM

The OP sounds racist to me. Are you racist Buzzpaw?

If not, please name all of the Top 25 teams that have a WHITE RB. Or WHITE WR's? Even Humphries was referred to by his teammates as "White Chocolate" - and that is racism in it's finest form.

So - in other words - you are a pure racist, but cannot see it thru your Black blinders. Get over it dude.

I'm not white

Sep 2, 2015, 11:30 AM

and I'm not black

I'm transparent. I am constantly invited to anatomy classes so students
can see how all of the organs work.

Re: I'm not white

Sep 2, 2015, 11:45 AM

^^Sounds like at least one organ doesn't work all that well IMO.

That may be your opinion

Sep 2, 2015, 11:54 AM

But Mrs. Streaking Tiger differs in her opinion

Sep 2, 2015, 11:49 AM [ in reply to Re: Going on record now....Slurrier still hates a black QB ]

The issue isn't whether someone is white or black while at a certain position; the argument here is that Spurrier has been well outside the norm for the percentage of black qbs. Is it more of an outlier to never have a black quarterback when approximately 1/4 to 1/2 of all qbs within a given region are black over a certain time period? Or is it more of an outlier to never have a white CB when 1/100 at the FBS level are white in this region?

Sep 2, 2015, 11:52 AM

Hmmm maybe he can't get a black QB so thats why he hasnt started any... If you are a good black QB and had a chance to play... why in the world would u even consider going to carolina..you know that you'd be moved to WR or something.. Im pretty sure black QBs stay away from him. Thus making his percentage of playing a black qb really low :)

He's had plenty on his teams, including Florida***

Sep 2, 2015, 11:59 AM

Sep 2, 2015, 2:06 PM

Can you blame him? He is from a different Era. Wasn't he born in like 1850??

If you question his age, he'll have you removed from

Sep 2, 2015, 2:16 PM

the room. What do you want me to do, Ron???

Replies: 58
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic