Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Talent or hype? ACC vs SEC
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 4
| visibility 1,448

Talent or hype? ACC vs SEC

Aug 31, 2015, 1:05 AM

You're missing the point. The SEC has been a better conference top-to-bottom than any other recently by a small but still significant margin. However, I spent the last month of my time at Clemson on an economics paper examining the efficiency of the NFL draft and had some interesting findings. Notably, the SEC had the most draft picks, followed closely by the ACC and also had the highest average draft position BUT those players also underperformed relative to their draft slot at a greater rate than any conference but FCS/non-Power 5/6. If you wanted to build a great NFL team, you take ACC players, who were consistently underdrafted despite having the second highest average draft position. For purposes of overall comparison, the Big 12 was the worst conference, and the Big Ten and Pac-12 were essentially tied a good ways behind both the SEC and ACC. There's no real point to me typing out all of that except to point out that (A) the ACC is underrated and (B) even the experts making selections in the NFL draft spend a little too much time buying into the SEC hype, just like our good friends at ESPN.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I can't speak for others, however, most of my perception of

Aug 31, 2015, 5:13 AM

the SEC goes back many years with the familiarity of southern schools and teams.

Even today many of us would prefer games against Bama, LSU, Auburn and/or Georgia, for they usually produce good football teams, the travel is relatively easy, and we are more familiar with the schools than others like Southern Cal, Oregon, Michigan to name a few.

I recall years ago looking forward to the few TV games that featured some of the SEC schools...and still do so to this day. What I don't do is worry about national perceptions of the conferences, for the fortunes of each rise and fall from time-to-time. Rather, I prefer to focus on Clemson and our ability to build a continually successful program...then let our successes speak for themselves.

The fact is that the national media over the years has generally been willing to recognize Clemson's successes with favorable ratings, despite our conference affiliation. And that's why I've never been willing to buy into any of this "conspiracy against us" theory. For now we are members of the ACC, and unless or until that changes I think we are much better off if other member schools perform well on the gridiron...of course, with the caveat: I want us to perform much better!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I can't speak for others, however, most of my perception of

Aug 31, 2015, 10:30 AM

That is one of the best posts on here in a long, long time.

I didnt really read the whole thing, but what I got out of

Aug 31, 2015, 10:42 AM [ in reply to I can't speak for others, however, most of my perception of ]

it is... you're old. ;)

Why worry about it? Don't sweat the small sheet.

Aug 31, 2015, 8:21 AM

Espn has an agenda.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Replies: 4
| visibility 1,448
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic