Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Coot-Tarhole Game. Analysis/Predictions?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 25
| visibility 3,083

Coot-Tarhole Game. Analysis/Predictions?

Aug 30, 2015, 11:58 PM

Four days away. Coot defense has to be better under Hoke's tutelage. How much better? Offense is a question mark with new qb. Tarholes were terrific on offense last year and worse than the coots on defense. Can Chizik tighten up that woeful defense? ACC vs SEC. Pulling for the hated Tarholes to pull it out 41-27.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Coot-Tarhole Game. Analysis/Predictions?

Aug 31, 2015, 12:00 AM

Who knows. Both teams were extremely inconsistent last year. If I were wagering, I would take whichever team was given points.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 31, 2015, 4:07 AM

I agree with this statement, and for this reason only... I'll take UNC to squeak it out

Bears fan right here, and I can tell you he...

Aug 31, 2015, 12:00 AM

was responsible for one of the worst, if not the worst, secondaries in Chicago Bears history. Hoke is a has been.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Bears fan right here, and I can tell you he...

Aug 31, 2015, 12:03 AM

If he is a has been, he will fit right in at USUC.

Re: Bears fan right here, and I can tell you he...

Aug 31, 2015, 12:31 AM [ in reply to Bears fan right here, and I can tell you he... ]

> was responsible for one of the worst, if not the
> worst, secondaries in Chicago Bears history. Hoke is
> a has been.

NFL is about talent. You only get, what, 56 players on your roster or some such, which means, what, you get all of maybe 7-8 DB's on your roster? If you don't have the players, you just don't have the players, and in the NFL the time for development is largely over. If your front office misses (or ignores you) in the draft or free agency you're left trying to win the Kentucky Derby on a donkey...and of course, you end up looking like one.

Hoke may not have done a good job with the Bears last year, but who knows what his situation was like? Not good, obviously. Hoke's got the NFL pedigree and Spurrier's confidence - Spurrier's been trying to hire him back for years - and when an ex-NFL guy speaks, college players usually listen, whereas it didn't look like anybody was listening to Whammy last year.

Hoke can hardly do worse than Lorenzo Ward did last year. Best guess is, Hoke improves that unit some, though other than Skai Moore I still really don't see very many NFL prospects on that defense.

Now, to the other side of the ball...well. Unless Spurrier himself has some eligibility left, they've got some...issues at QB.

62-17 Cheaters

Aug 31, 2015, 2:44 PM

Because they ain't us.

PS - I need to clarify. I mean the cheaters from Chapel Hole, not Cootlumbia.

THE Carolina by 6 to 9

Aug 31, 2015, 12:07 AM

USuCk has been plain lucky the past few years in scraping by in early games - e.g ECU and UGA last year.

Not so this year.

Happy trails SOS....

34-21...holes.***

Aug 31, 2015, 12:09 AM

null

55-17 Holes. I really wish they would hang 100 on the coots.***

Aug 31, 2015, 12:34 AM

My prediction?

Aug 31, 2015, 12:58 AM

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lSPNQ82Sq4E

Aug 31, 2015, 1:41 AM

Aside from last year's opener, South Carolina has been really good with lots of time to prepare over the last 4 years. Maybe they just had the better team, and I don't think they do on Thursday night. But I believe South Carolina pulls one out, unfortunately. Hope I'm wrong.

Aug 31, 2015, 3:15 AM

Tar holes - 31
Chicks - 24

This is a typical opening contest full of mistakes, a few turnovers and an unexpected loss for the SEC "unknowns" as OBC called his team!

Go Tigers!

I want the coots to lose, but I bet they win...sadly.**

Aug 31, 2015, 2:46 AM

nm

I really wouldn't be surprised to see ole Spurrier and crew

Aug 31, 2015, 5:31 AM

pull this one out, so to speak.

I, also, won't be surprised if the OBC rotates his QB's in a skinny, if necessary, and/or the Gamecock defense steps up to the plate, simply because of their opponents.

Prediction? Just can't call this one.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Both average to bad teams, SCar has no D, and UNC

Aug 31, 2015, 7:03 AM

lost their last game in the bowl to a poor Rutgers team. Don't have confidence in either team to win, who knows.

Real Carolina 34 - Nobody else thinks your Carolina 13.******

Aug 31, 2015, 7:09 AM

4 visor tosses

Aug 31, 2015, 8:23 AM

3 visor kicks...

Aug 31, 2015, 8:28 AM

I think this game ends up being lower scoring than the experts think. Game will be close and a toss up. If it is not close, Tar Heels prevail

Re: A meteorite hits the stadium and obliterates both teams?***

Aug 31, 2015, 8:37 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Screw Calford.

3 reasons why UNC wins

Aug 31, 2015, 8:44 AM

1. Dual threat QB- The atrocious Gamecock's defense crumbles against dual threat QB's. This game should be no different. Whoever they put out there as a scout team QB to mimic Marquis Williams in practice will simply pale in comparison to his abilities. This game literally could be a career night for Williams given the problems the South Carolina defense has with DT QBs.

In last season's opener versus Texas A&M, Kenny Hill looked like a Heisman hopeful against a woeful defense which appeared to be on roller skates. Hill passed for 511 yards and 3 TDs in his first career start; and that was on the road over 1,000 miles from home. While Hill may not have rushed for a massive number of yards, his elusiveness and escapability made him appear like a man among boys. Tennessee's Josh Dobbs had a field day versus them as he rushed for 166 yards and 3 TDs. He also passed for 301 yards so Williams and crew should smell blood in the water.

2. Explosive Offense- Teams that are capable of both the deep ball and the ground game can really put up some numbers on this defense. A stable of RB's return for the Heels this year including T.J. Logan (600 yds 3 TDs), senior Romar Morris (4.3 avg rush), and highly rated prospect Elijah Daniel (4 TDs). A bevy of talented WRs are back including the ever-elusive Ryan Switzer (61 receptions 757 yds), Bug Howard (42 catches), Quinshad Davis (6 TDs), and 8 TD scorer Mack Hollins. Easy to see how the Heels could explode on offense in this game. Institute the dual threat ability and it could be a very long day for the Gamecocks and I really hope it is.

3. A matter of scoring- The Heels averaged better than 33 points per game in 2014. While South Carolina had a few games where they scored a lot, they lost a ton of those point scorers while UNC returns nearly every single one. Not one FBS team failed to atleast reach the 20 point mark against the Gamecocks last year. Even the stagnant Florida Gators offense managed 20 points last year.

Vanderbilt even tallied 34 on them in 2014. While UNC may have had some difficulties on defense last year, they return several key pieces and upgraded at the coordinator spot. South Carolina didn't. John Hoke coached the NFLs 30th ranked secondary and didn't encounter a spread offense once last year. No need to believe he'll be prepared for anything remotely close to a spread offense and the mismatches that come with it.

Re: 3 reasons why UNC wins

Aug 31, 2015, 9:11 AM

Good, thoughtful, fact-based analysis. I give it thumbs-up. Don't entirely agree - I think Hoke is an upgrade over Whammy, who in my (ahem) opinion is a woman-chasing alcoholic clown who inherited a bunch of players from Brad Lawing, Ellis Johnson, and a (ahem, again) certain Rock Hill booster who will remain nameless, and once those players moved along, it was revealed Whammy couldn't coach his way out of a wet paper bag. Coaches who have watched Hoke say he's a good teacher of fundamentals and effective communicator...things nobody would accuse Lorenzo Ward of. Being from the NFL, Hoke's word will also have a certain cachet with college players. Remember, we even saw it work for the "Chessmaster" Al Groh, and he was a puffed-up clown to a degree that made Whammy look cool. Whammy at least is good with the ladies.

No joke: in the middle of an interview with some ESPN talking head or another, Al Groh broke off in mid-sentence to check the air-pressure of the tires on a coaching golf cart that was passing by. He even had a little pressure gauge in his pocket. He then turned imperiously back to the ESPN reporter, and intoned portentiously: "As the head coach of the football program of the University of the Commonwealth of Virginia, it is incumbent upon me to be responsible for every aspect of the football team."

I'm not joking. That one stuck out. So there's at least one guy out there I'd hire Whammy ahead of.

So I think they'll be better on D. Not a ton better, since I just don't see a ton of talent on that D unless they hit the mother lode on those JUCO's and got just way luckier with the freshman crop than any of the recruiting services expect.

Against that, I think the Gamecocks substantially worse on offense. Unless Connor Mitch is just night-and-day better than he was in Spring and the early part of Fall camp they're in a world of hurt at QB, their OL looked hideous as well, and aside from Pharoah Cooper I don't see a single playmaker on O.

Then again, they also look a whole lot like the Gamecocks looked when Spurrier first took over from Lou Holtz, who was doing his best to run the team into the ground...maybe he'll generate similar miracles as he did 10 years ago. Maybe.

Wow! Now I'm really encouraged. Holes

Aug 31, 2015, 2:41 PM

should hang 50 on them. Roll Holes!

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 31, 2015, 2:56 PM

I have a strong feeling that UNC wins, and wins convincingly. I like Chizik as a coordinator and I don't any confidence that there is a qb at slurrier's disposal who can run his offense. I think this will be a sloppy ugly game. If it's a blowout, unc will prevail for sure. In the end, I see an ugly game, lower scoring than the experts think. 35-21, UNC

UNuC 45 USuC 17***

Aug 31, 2015, 3:03 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Goooooooo Meteorite!***

Aug 31, 2015, 3:32 PM

null

Replies: 25
| visibility 3,083
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic