Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Photo: Dude catches 1,368 lb Marlin
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 12
| visibility 2,381

Photo: Dude catches 1,368 lb Marlin

Jul 30, 2015, 9:31 PM

https://twitter.com/SportsCenter/status/626921187109662720

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

holy ####! That's a lot of delicious Marlin Steaks!***

Jul 30, 2015, 9:39 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

And he harvested it instead of catch and release ! Nice job***

Jul 30, 2015, 9:42 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

A marlin can reach a max of around 2000 pounds and

Jul 30, 2015, 10:26 PM

have a life span of up to 28 years. This beautiful fish should have never been murdered. It would have been very easy for this guy to pose for a pic and then release the animal.

Re: A marlin can reach a max of around 2000 pounds and

Jul 30, 2015, 11:00 PM

The guy was a commercial fisherman and was specifically fishing for tuna and billfish, so I suppose to him, it was money to feed his family. Fish always lose those choices - particularly in areas of the world where others have different rules than what we think is right over here. I do understand the sport fishermen who want to "Save the Billfish" and I have released a bunch of them myself, but when money is on the line and it's the way you make your living, the preaching needs to be reconsidered.

Re: Photo: Dude catches 1,368 lb Marlin

Jul 30, 2015, 9:49 PM

It will take one BIG den/living room to mount that one on the wall. Wow. Is this a record catch, or something?

Jul 30, 2015, 10:49 PM

He used an electric reel, so it's as though it never happened as far as IGFA records are concerned. It would not have been a record fish anyway (all-tackle record for Pacific Blue Marlin is 1,376 lbs.), although I suspect it provided some excitement - particularly since the boat was reported as only a 21 footer - looks bigger in that picture, though and I've never seen a 21' boat with a tuna door in the transom, but maybe in Kona you need them.

Atlantic Blue Marlin record is 1,402 lbs. 1,800 lb. fish have been caught in both the Atlantic and Pacific, with the largest fish caught (on hand line, no less) was over 2,200 lbs.

http://www.bigmarinefish.com/photos_blue_marlin_pg6.html

I have seen one fish in my life over 2,000 lbs. and it was right off the coast of SC in my super-duper top-secret spot near the North Mound close by what's called the Georgetown Hole. That fish free-jumped about 8 times right in front of my 27' boat while I was fishing in the Pabst Blue Ribbon Marlin Tournament in 1977 and every time it jumped, the splash when she came down looked like someone had dropped a car off of the bridge to Isle of Palms. I pulled into the path of the fish and waited for a strike that never came, but while I waited and watched the baits, I started wondering what the #### I was going to do if I did get a hook in it. I'll have to admit, when the strike didn't happen, I was sorta relieved.

OK, now I understand

Jul 30, 2015, 10:55 PM

Another (larger) boat brought the fish aboard:

http://www.grindtv.com/fishing/angler-lands-1368-pound-blue-marlin-from-21-foot-boat-just-shy-of-world-record/#cjFyqDHt7bz9sADS.97

Wow, Marlin Lane has really let himself go!

Jul 30, 2015, 10:17 PM

Oh, that's an actual fish.

Congrats, random dude! You made it on TigerNet recruiting. Mark that one off your bucket list. Got any eligibility left?!? We need you to catch a bass that big so we can dethrone the coots from their lofty perch in NCAA Fishin'.

~JKB

good thing it wasn't named Cecil.

Jul 30, 2015, 10:50 PM

the interwebs would be exploding if that great and proud fish had been given a name.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Wrong bored

Jul 31, 2015, 7:30 AM

Fyi

Hth

Now killing an animal to provide for your family is murder?

Jul 31, 2015, 7:59 AM

###, I'm going to helll in a handbasket.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 31, 2015, 8:38 AM
download.jpg(7.7 K)

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 12
| visibility 2,381
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic