Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Windows 10
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 43
| visibility 1

Windows 10

Jul 29, 2015, 11:50 PM

I just loaded windows 10 on my laptop. Honestly, OMG I'm as lost as a puppy in high grass. It looks like I just opened a book that was published in Japan!!! By the time I learn to get around in there, they will have already came out with windows 11 and 12, but hey, it all looks cool and I'll have to learn to crawl around in there for awhile I guess until I can stand up and walk....

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Windows 10

Jul 29, 2015, 11:53 PM

It was offered to me for a limited time, but I wuz skeered. I'll just stick with 8 for now, which I hate more than 7.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 30, 2015, 12:09 AM

It'll be offered for a year free to win 8 users. Wait a month for them to release patches based on feedback, then get it. It's a nice OS from all sources I've seen.

Thanks. I'll check it out.***

Jul 30, 2015, 12:20 AM

Jul 30, 2015, 12:30 AM [ in reply to Re: Windows 10 ]

It said that it was free, and I would have to buy anything more than what they give with the download. I have more now than I had with window 7, to much as far as I'm concerned. I only use laptop for T-net or browsing the web looking for what ever info I need, or for online shopping, and that's it. I have notice that it has a better spell ck. than windows 7....

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

From everything I understand,

Jul 30, 2015, 7:13 AM [ in reply to Re: Windows 10 ]

If you hate Windows 8, you will like Win10 much better. It's got a good mix of the strengths of 7 and 8. I like Win7 a lot but despised Win8...I'm a computer programmer, for crying out loud, and still had trouble figuring out how to get around on my son's Win8 computer. I was very happy to hear they're abandoning some of the major weaknesses of Win8.

Re: From everything I understand,

Jul 30, 2015, 8:24 AM

I love windows 7 and absolutely hated 8. I had 8 removed and 7 put back in a week after I had 8 loaded. I could barely get out of the front page screen of 8, and when I did, I couldn't get out of where it was that it had me. I would have to do a force shut down and to get back to the front screen. So far so good, at least I haven't gotten trapped in a screen YET. :) But it is a foreign place right now!!!

I like windows 7, it sucks that we have to change

Jul 30, 2015, 8:47 AM

I was fine with XP

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I like windows 7, it sucks that we have to change

Jul 30, 2015, 10:47 AM

Neal, do we HAVE TO CHANGE?????????????? I have 7 Home Premium and I am very satisfied .. why change???

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I like windows 7, it sucks that we have to change

Jul 30, 2015, 10:58 AM

I like Windows 7, too, but eventually Microsoft will stop supporting it. At least that's what I've been told by my computer expert friends.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Waiting for it to upgrade now

Jul 29, 2015, 11:55 PM

your words are not encouraging ??

Re: Waiting for it to upgrade now

Jul 30, 2015, 1:00 AM

Striper I'm sure you're more computer savvy than I am. I had never turn on or used a computer until I learned about T-net in 2007, and that is when I bought myself one and started plucking away on it. I couldn't type until I self taught myself on T-net. The spelling and grammar police was having a field day with me when I first came to T-Net. Even though no one knew me, nor could they see me, they would still embarrass the living h&ll out of me on here. But I kept trying, and I learn something about it everyday. Just like windows 10 looks completely foreign to me, but I feel that I will learn to get around on it. I hope so anyway!!!

Open the window, throw the PC out

Jul 30, 2015, 11:01 AM

and get an iPad.

"Dabo crushed my soul." --- Classof09

Re: Open the window, throw the PC out

Jul 30, 2015, 11:12 AM

Then he would be stuck with a large phone that cant make calls.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

You young whippersnappers carry on wif yo bad self.

Jul 30, 2015, 6:07 AM

LbB and I will continue using our 1957 Royal typewriters hooked to Commodore 64s and using our 1964 RCA XL100 Color TVs for monitors with a kill switch off a Model T Ford for a mouse.

RIGHT, BILL?

Message was edited by: ClemsonTiger1988®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: You young whippersnappers carry on wif yo bad self.

Jul 30, 2015, 8:34 AM

Well I promise I'm not a young snapper, whipper or not. But I will try the what's new now in an attempt to stay with the science that's moving forward very quickly these days. Heaven may have all these updates, and I wouldn't want to look the computer dummy there either.

Re: You young whippersnappers carry on wif yo bad self.

Jul 30, 2015, 9:11 AM

Actually, I do too. One of my sons repairs computers and phones for part time money. I have a 1700 dollar Gateway P8711FX laptop. It's old but it's faster than my 30 mbs internet feed.

I bought the think for 125 bucks with the owner telling me it had a bad motherboard. The power flashed on when you pushed the power button. My son guessed correctly that it was a bad power button and had it running by hitting the PB and immediately disconnecting it from it's feed.

I bought and replaced the button for 13 bucks, used on Ebay but had to change it again last year due to a charger port being mounted on the PB board.

I give a software six months before I use it. The fun is using a computer not working on uploads for software repair.

I also have a killer desktop which has a 10K rpm HDD and two generations old processor. I use it only for an internet phone, Magicjack, and downloading the latest movies. I watch the movies through wireless feed to my TV. I don't get out of the recliner and walk to the desktop unless the power flickers off and I have to push the power button on it.

So yeah, I'm trying to keep up a little but don't tell anyone

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 30, 2015, 7:28 AM

I have used Windows since it's inception, and experienced all of the BSOD's to last a lifetime. I managed the installation and instruction classes for a large hospital (3300 employees) for the initial roll out for Windows and MS Office. But as bad as their early products were, Win 8 was a nightmare straight from the bowels of ####. I UPGRADED back to Win 7 and am satisfied with that. I've assembled so many PC's and loaded so many OS's, that you would think Win 8 would have been welcomed, and extremely easy to understand. Not so in my case.

Now maybe Win 10 is better than Win 8, and maybe it's not. But there is no way on the planet that I intend to switch to that product. The Millenials can have it IMO, as I must be too dang old to grasp it.

Good luck with all that. Maybe in a few years I might take a look at Win 20.

If you have a Windows phone or tab the transition

Jul 30, 2015, 7:57 AM

May have been better.

I think Microsoft way overestimated people using their touch screen devices.

Win 10 is more like win 7 but I expect the next os to be nothing like 7. 10 is just a tool to ease you into thier default os so they can have one for all devices.

I can't stand win 8 but I'll learn. What irritates me more is media player will no longer play dvds unless I pay $99.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Jul 30, 2015, 9:14 AM [ in reply to Re: Windows 10 ]

Just give em time to work out the bugs then check with friend whom you trust for reports. I had trusted folks tell me win8 sucked so I passed it up. I'm still running my Win7 Ultimate.

I'm with you. I've been stung by new editions of Win before, that was their fault. Next time it will be my fault!

Jul 30, 2015, 7:41 AM

I had been running a "preview" copy of Windows 10 for a couple months. I installed the Release to Manufacturing final version a couple weeks ago and I definitely like it. I was previously running, and very comfortable with Win 7 (my son has a laptop with Win 8.1 and I hated it). Win 10 is sort of a hybrid between 7 & 8. It is more similar to 7 with the "Start" menu but it also maintains the "tiles" from 8.

If you are solid with Win 7, I think you will like Win 10. If you never used any version other than Win 8 (or 8.1), you will probably have a bit of a learning curve. The terminology is a bit different. Even the Start menu refers to programs as "Applications". No problems with installation but it does take well over an hour to complete.

Good Luck!

^^^ If you're not using a SSD

Jul 30, 2015, 7:51 AM

then you should get one. They reduce the time for everything significantly. It sounds like you're using a platter drive if it takes that long to load/install anything.

To expand on this a little. Get a SSD and only install your

Jul 30, 2015, 8:33 AM

OS and maybe a few other things you use frequently if they will benefit. SSDs are super fast but don't have much storage capacity unless you want to drop a ton of money on one. Use a cheap HDD to install most of your programs and for storing whatever large things you store on your computer like music, pictures, movies, etc.

Re: To expand on this a little. Get a SSD and only install your

Jul 30, 2015, 11:14 AM

Yep what you described is my current set up at home on my computer I built about 1.5 years ago.

null

Jul 30, 2015, 9:20 AM [ in reply to Re: Windows 10 ]

It only took about 45 minutes.

Just get a Mac...

Jul 30, 2015, 8:09 AM

I have used both, and not a devout follower or either platform. Having said that, the Mac is just simpler. I tend to have less trouble / headaches with it than when I use Windows.

Re: Just get a Mac...

Jul 30, 2015, 8:28 AM

Mac is great for those who enjoy over spending for products.

null

Or...

Jul 30, 2015, 8:58 AM

For those that don't mind spending extra for more peace and mind. Everything has a cost friend, including the headaches and misfortunes of dealing with Windows.

Not to mention, compare apples to apples (no pun intended)...

A more comperable windows machine vs. a mac machine would be a ultrabook vs. a macbook pro. The Apple is about $400 more than a HP ultrabook (roughly similar specs).

Now, time to bust out the inner economist and think about opportunity cost. Macs seems to have (though certainly not always) longer shelf life, meaning that HP may be good for like 3 years, where the Mac may be good for like 5 years (generally speaking). So if that is the case, what are the two years worth to you? What about reparis, bugs, viruses, etc...Macs (again, generally speaking) seem to be less buggy, fewer viruses (mainly b/c fewer are written for them), and typically seem to last a little longer. Is all that worth $400?

That question is not for me to decide for you, it's all on an individual level. For me, the $400 is worth it. But again, I use both and am not an Apple fan boy / Windows hater. Both have their places, and for what most folks do (music, pictures, internettin', web based work, etc...) either can be a fine purchase.

You are mixing hardware with software.

Jul 30, 2015, 12:26 PM

Microsoft and Apple do not make hardware.

They will choose hardware to put into the devices they sell, but dime other dude is making it.

Apple limits the hardware that can be used on thier devices which makes programming the software much easier.

Microsoft will do the same but they also have to program for every other hardware guy out r there.

This is how they made thier billions. Software for any one. They made billions because there are obviously people out there who do not want to be held by the ballz by Apple or who don't see the value in apples 5987% margin.

As for longevity. . .. if you have hardware issues a That is beyond Microsoft unless it is one of there devices . They can't be responsible if dell chooses to use the cheapest and slowest video card from gigabyte.

They also can't be responsible when your $200 atom pc won't run the latest software efficiently.

Apple tends to put mid range performance hardware in their devices and charge high end prices. Because they are not bottom of the barrel components they do indeed seem to last longer. Especially when most people just buy pcs randomly or based off price alone.

I built a pc 7 years ago for less than a Mac at the time and it still runs any program I throw on there easily. In that time I have only replaced the dvd drive and the fan on the heat sink. . And gone from xp to 7.

I just bought my daughter assus ROG gaming laptop for a 3rd of a Mac book. It has far better hardware than a Mac. I did not buy it to play games. I bought it to last. It should, from a performance perspective, out last any of the current macs.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Michelin tires are expensive....

Jul 30, 2015, 9:46 AM [ in reply to Re: Just get a Mac... ]

but they are higher quality and last longer. Some times paying more pays off, over cheaper products

Re: Michelin tires are expensive....

Jul 30, 2015, 10:53 AM

I have not put anything else on my truck (or Tahoe) for 15 years!! worth every $$$

Re: Michelin tires are expensive....

Jul 30, 2015, 11:18 AM [ in reply to Michelin tires are expensive.... ]

Difference being Michelin tires are a superior product.

apple devices do one thing better and that is it... They are simplified down to where anyone can use them.

They however fail at being friendly to anyone who actually knows about computers and enjoys being able to upgrade them.

null

Agree on Mac simplicity

Jul 30, 2015, 8:58 AM [ in reply to Just get a Mac... ]

But you pay for it in options and cash. Upgraded is near impossible and they want way to much money.

I will never buy a device for myself that did not have an expansion slot. Cloud services are atms for cellular phone services.

Re: Agree on Mac simplicity

Jul 30, 2015, 9:05 AM

Yeah, that is hard to argue for.

I do indeed think Apple is overpriced. Even if they basically just came down $100 across their Mac line, that would be a bit better.

I have, and probably will again, fork out the dough for the Mac. Not to mention, Apple has slowly sucked me into their "Appleverse". I've now invested too much time getting all this crap set up like I like. Also, not sure I like the direction the company has gone in post Jobs.

Having said that though, I do have an eye on the MacBook Air. I am in the market for a super thin, small screen (like 11 inches), lightweight computer, and the Air fits the bill.

Mac is like heroin.

Jul 30, 2015, 9:22 AM

Feels good but it takes no time to know there's a hook there. The phones are the same way. At the onset of Mac folks that bought them sniffed their own farts. I liken Macs to electric cars. The morons who drive them do so in ignorance of how the electricity was generated for the batteries.

I think Mac is a good product but if unless you're one of those folks who upgrade to a newer model when the warranty expires your gonna find a few repairs and replacements of components worth more than the initial cost of the machine.

Mac runs without the problems of virus and such during their warranty period and Apple supports the software to it's grave, from my experience.

Re: Just get a Mac...

Jul 30, 2015, 11:04 AM [ in reply to Just get a Mac... ]

Yea, I just bought my first Mac a few months ago and absolutely love it. Of course it's still got its problems, but to me it's infinitely better than Windows.

Jul 30, 2015, 8:47 AM

Ive only had a couple days with it but I really like it so far.

A nice mix of mostly 7 with a few parts of 8.

null

Never be in a hurry to download ANYTHING from Microsoft !

Jul 30, 2015, 9:39 AM

It's usually full of more bugs than a five year old sack of flour !

Microsoft is so 1990's....

Jul 30, 2015, 9:42 AM

How many poorly made products will it take for Microsoft to have a competitor in the PC world

Re: Microsoft is so 1990's....

Jul 30, 2015, 9:51 AM

The Surface Pro tablets are actually the best tablets on the market....

null

Re: Microsoft is so 1990's....

Jul 30, 2015, 10:52 AM [ in reply to Microsoft is so 1990's.... ]

I absolutely LIKE Microsoft!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! JUst wish their stock would GO UP

Try making an OS that works on anyone's hardware,

Jul 30, 2015, 11:21 AM [ in reply to Microsoft is so 1990's.... ]

supports a gazillion different types of legacy hardware, is upgradable, compatible with most any software written in the last 10 years, don't force people to buy a new computer to install it, is easy to learn and is cheap. Good luck.

There are no real competitors in the PC world because the task is almost impossible. For the record, I'm upgrading a personal laptop today but will not upgrade any of my business computers for a while...wait and see approach, since Windows 7 is going well.

Apple's only benefit is also it's biggest flaw...you can only use their overpriced hardware which is generally not upgradable and if you want any upgrades you have to by a new computer.

My new marketing person insists on using her MacBook and we have more trouble with it than any of my Windows 7 computers. I've said OK to the Mac as long as I don't have to support it on my network...I don't care if they can connect to network resources or not.

For a home user with lots of $ I guess it's fine. In business, no way...

My $0.02.

Re: Try making an OS that works on anyone's hardware,

Jul 30, 2015, 11:22 AM

great post

null

Re: Try making an OS that works on anyone's hardware,

Jul 30, 2015, 12:59 PM

For those thinking Macs are better than Windows PC's, get over it. There is a reason that every company (except Apple) uses Windows PC's in their offices/desks. Companies would go broke trying to bring Macs into the workplace.

Years ago I helped review Macs and Windows PC's to bring into our company, and MS PC's won going away. There was no way we could have survived with Macs. That was a great decision then, and it still is true even today.

So basically, if you have money to burn, get a Mac and enjoy the few benefits they offer. But if you're frugal, you'll get the MS PC and enjoy those benefits just as much - for less.

Replies: 43
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic