Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
How long before the gender equity advocates file lawsuits
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 7
| visibility 1,687

How long before the gender equity advocates file lawsuits

Jul 29, 2015, 3:57 PM

over the whole cost of attendance stipends. My guess is that most schools will fund stipends for football and men's basketball. A few others may also fund women's basketball. That means that roughly 98 men will benefit compared to only 15 women. How many schools plan to award stipends to scholarship athletes in every sport? Unless forced to do so, I doubt most schools will comply with Title IX.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

they will eventually have to comply....sadly***

Jul 29, 2015, 4:09 PM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If she's a hollerer, she'll be a screamer.
If she's a screamer, she'll get you arrested.

It doesn't work that way.

Jul 29, 2015, 4:16 PM

Title IX means you have to give equal amounts. It doesn't really change anything for the Power 5 schools, but affects the smaller schools.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You sure about that?

Jul 29, 2015, 4:29 PM

Are you saying the schools in the Power 5 conferences will give the stipends to all scholarship athlets in all sports? If so, that's the first time I've heard anyone say that.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

100%

Jul 29, 2015, 4:57 PM

The Athletic Financial Assistance requirement of Title IX requires that scholarships, both in terms of the number of scholarships and the value of scholarships, be allocated proportionately in accordance with the number of female vs. male athletes.

I agree but....

Jul 29, 2015, 5:16 PM

wwe aren't talking about scholarships. These are effectively cost of living stipends and I haven't seen anything that states all student athletes in all sports (both male and female) will receive them.

Here you go

Jul 29, 2015, 5:37 PM

"The vote, taken during the NCAA's annual convention, redefines an athletic scholarship so that it can cover not only the traditional tuition, room, board, books and fees, but also the incidental costs of attending college. That means a scholarship will now be able to pay for items including transportation and miscellaneous personal expenses"

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/college/2015/01/17/ncaa-convention-cost-of-attendance-student-athletes-scholarships/21921073/

I have, unfortunately, been in the middle of a lot of the smaller conferences debating whether or not to pass similar measures. Basically, if a conference passes the changed definition of an athletic scholarship it reads that it can include UP TO this higher dollar amount, and the school can still choose not to include it. However, schools that choose not to would be at a significant disadvantage in recruiting (READ they can't make more football monies).

Re: Here you go

Jul 29, 2015, 10:41 PM

I wonder how it will work in sports that give partial scholarships?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 7
| visibility 1,687
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic