Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
can anyone give me some info on Roku/Sling
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 24
| visibility 1,059

can anyone give me some info on Roku/Sling

Jul 29, 2015, 3:18 PM

things like:

cost
channels available
sports

how it works, etc....

I've read a lot, but i'm looking for some first hand info from some with experience using it

thanks

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've been working since I was 15 continually until now. I worked 40 hours a week at 15, when it wasn't even legal for 15 year olds to work that many hours."

Re: can anyone give me some info on Roku/Sling

Jul 29, 2015, 3:25 PM

http://www.tigernet.com/forums/message.jspa?messageID=16856956

might be some good info in there.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

so it looks like i need a Roku stick.. then just subscribe

Jul 29, 2015, 3:32 PM

Sling TV... choose the package I want...

and stream

hmmmmm

"I've been working since I was 15 continually until now. I worked 40 hours a week at 15, when it wasn't even legal for 15 year olds to work that many hours."

Jul 29, 2015, 3:33 PM

I got rid of Comcast TV about 4 months ago...

I am currently using Sling TV- I get ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU, SEC, and a few others. I also get access to ESPN3 or watchespn whatever you want to call it.

You also get TBS and TNT as well as some others. It costs 25 bucks a month. Only possible negative is it can only be used by one user at a time.

On top of that I use an OTA antennae for local channels, Netflix and Hulu plus I am an Amazon Prime subscriber.

At the end of the day I am saving about $80 a month compared to what I was at before.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Jul 29, 2015, 3:34 PM

Another plus of slingtv....

It can be viewed from anywhere... My phone/tablet while I am on the ####### is a prime place for it.

null

I am thinking of doing this same setup.

Jul 29, 2015, 3:58 PM [ in reply to Re: can anyone give me some info on Roku/Sling ]

I already have Netflix, Hulu Plus, HBO Go, and Amazon, so really the only reason I'm holding on to my giant cable bill is for the live sports.

I'm thinking Sling could be the solution. And I'll cut my cable bill from 180 to 60, (still would need the 70 Mbps broadband).

I just hope that Sling won't have any outages during the "big games" like championships.

I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks; but I do fear the man who has practiced one kick 10,000 times. - Bruce Lee

Jul 29, 2015, 3:33 PM

Roku doesn't have FoxSports. I kicked them to the curb and bought FireTV.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Dabo crushed my soul." --- Classof09

how does Fire TV compare to Roku/Sling?

Jul 29, 2015, 3:35 PM

channel wise and price?

do you like it?

Re: how does Fire TV compare to Roku/Sling?

Jul 29, 2015, 3:40 PM

FireTV is just a device to get apps on...

http://www.amazon.com/Fire-TV-streaming-media-player/dp/B00CX5P8FC

I have the fire TV stick. It works pretty great for things like netflix hulu twitch amazon and slingtv

For instance inorder to use slingtv you would need a Fire TV or some other device.

null

i looked it up... so I can watch the FoxSports Go app with

Jul 29, 2015, 3:41 PM

Fire TV, but not with Roku

correct?

Re: i looked it up... so I can watch the FoxSports Go app with

Jul 29, 2015, 3:46 PM

if you have a TV subscription you can :(

Fox Sports refuses to embrace digital and wont allow you to get any of their #### unless you have either a cable subscription or sat.

null

this doesn't mention needing a subscription...

Jul 29, 2015, 3:47 PM

http://www.androidcentral.com/sling-tv-now-streaming-live-television-amazon-fire-tv

am i missing something?

Re: this doesn't mention needing a subscription...

Jul 29, 2015, 3:49 PM

I dk Ill try it when I get home. I seem to remember the app asking me to sign in with my TV provider information last time.

null

do you need a TV subscription to access the FoxSports app on

Jul 29, 2015, 4:19 PM [ in reply to Re: can anyone give me some info on Roku/Sling ]

Fire?

@TigerHawk76

Jul 29, 2015, 3:34 PM

I have both. It works fairly well. You need good internet speed and a good router if you do wireless. I am going to up my speed with TWC to see if it helps the picture quality. The basic sling gets you 20+ channels that includes ESPN 1 and 2. You can add on sports package for $5 additional and get ESPNU and News and SEC network.

My speed is adequate 15mbps but ideally and sling will say that's all you need but in reality to avoid buffering and other issues you prob need 30-50 Mbps which means more money in TWC or whoevers pocket. But no contract with cable or satellite and no 200 of useless channels is worth it to me.

I have a Roku3 but I do not have Sling TV (yet).

Jul 29, 2015, 3:43 PM

As I understand it, the base package is $20 per month. It requires no contract and you can cancel or suspend service at any time.

The package only includes 19 channels like ESPN, AMC, Disney Channel, TNT, History and HGTV. Add-on packs, each $5 more per month, are also available.

At this point in time, channel selection is limited and the major broadcast networks like CBS, ABC, Fox and NBC are not included.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

so it looks like now the question is Roku vs. Fire stick

Jul 29, 2015, 3:46 PM

thoughts?

Re: so it looks like now the question is Roku vs. Fire stick

Jul 29, 2015, 3:48 PM

I own a Fire Stick and will probably be buying the full Fire TV device as well.

Roku is not bad but they are not backed by someone like Amazon who really is trying to push their device. It is also very user friendly for old people like Hartins.

null

what's the benefit of having the full device vs. the stick?***

Jul 29, 2015, 3:50 PM

Re: what's the benefit of having the full device vs. the stick?***

Jul 29, 2015, 3:54 PM

from what I have read slightly faster more memory and voice search commands built into the remote.

The Stick you can do voice through an app on your phone but I have never bothered with it.

null

If you prepay 3 months of sling you get a free Roku Stick

Jul 29, 2015, 3:53 PM [ in reply to so it looks like now the question is Roku vs. Fire stick ]

https://www.sling.com/devices/offers

i think they may have the same deal with Amazon....

Jul 29, 2015, 3:56 PM

just trying to figure out the difference in the two...

the FoxGo app would be huge if you didn't need a TV subscription

Amazon Prime is free....

Jul 29, 2015, 4:19 PM

if you are a frequent Amazon shopper. While I have Amazon, and Hulu too for that matter, my family prefers NetFlix. if it wasn't free, I wouldn't pay to keep it.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

ok... hopefully last question i have on this topic..

Jul 29, 2015, 4:05 PM

what are the advantages/disadvantages of the streaming stick vs. the box (for either Roku or Fire)...

I know Sling is offering a free Roku stick with a 3 month prepayment.. which seems awesome. But would I be not getting something that would make the box more worthwhile?

In my opinion....

Jul 29, 2015, 4:10 PM

The Roku3 offers better connectivity/streaming compared to the Stick. As an example, if you are going to use it with the main television in your home, I would recommend the Roku3. If you are going to get it for your kids to watch movies on the televisions in their rooms, buy the Stick.

Replies: 24
| visibility 1,059
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic