Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Just read where Oklahoma's President
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 48
| visibility 1

Just read where Oklahoma's President

Jul 7, 2015, 2:35 PM

Thinks they should move to the SEC. If that happens, maybe we could also move to the SEC as well. For our long term success in all sports we should leave the ACC if an opportunity arises. The lack of creditable, effective, unbiased leadership from our commissioner is among many factors that makes me want to move. It probably will never happen but it's nice to think about not being a member of a dying conference....in my opinion.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Just read where Oklahoma's President

Jul 7, 2015, 2:36 PM

YOU GONNA PAY THE 50 MILLION DOLLAR EXIT FEE. CHUMP CHANGE I GUESS

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Did Maryland pay?***

Jul 7, 2015, 2:38 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Re: Did Maryland pay?***

Jul 7, 2015, 2:40 PM

STILL IN COURT. IT HAS COST THEM A TON IN LEGAL FEES ALREADY

Re: Did Maryland pay?***

Jul 7, 2015, 2:43 PM [ in reply to Did Maryland pay?*** ]

ACC, Maryland reach $31 million settlement in lawsuit
By Dave Tucker ? @TestudoDave on Aug 8, 2014, 1:45p 94

Bob Donnan-US PRESSWIRE
The University of Maryland and Atlantic Coast Conference have reached a settlement over Maryland's exit fee.

? TWEET (26) ?SHARE (116) ?PIN
The University of Maryland and Atlantic Coast Conference have reached a $31 million settlement over the school's departure for the Big Ten Conference, it was announced on Friday.

Maryland has agreed that the ACC will keep the sum of $31,361,788 previously withheld in order to resolve the lawsuits, and the ACC has agreed that Maryland will have no obligation to make any other payments to the ACC. In addition, the lawsuits filed in the State of North Carolina and Maryland will be dismissed.

The settlement ends a dispute between the University of Maryland and ACC over a $52 million exit fee that the conference was attempting to force Maryland to pay via a lawsuit. But Maryland felt they weren't obligated to pay that fee for a number of reasons and eventually filed a $151 countersuit, which claimed, among other things, that the ACC was improperly withholding revenue from Maryland. The ACC began withholding revenue payments to Maryland once the school announced their intent to leave and join the Big Ten. In this settlement, it appears the two sides agreed to just let the ACC keep that money and both would walk away from their lawsuits.

"The University of Maryland is proud of our long and storied 61-year association with the Atlantic Coast Conference," said Wallace D. Loh, president of the University of Maryland, in a release from the school. "Today's agreement helps usher in exciting new eras for both the University and the ACC. We wish the conference and our ACC university colleagues well."

"Our student-athletes, coaches, staff, fans and alumni will forever hold dear the memories of six outstanding decades in the Atlantic Coast Conference," said Kevin Anderson, Director of Athletics at the University of Maryland, in the school's release. "Today marks the next chapter in the history of Maryland Athletics, and we look forward to creating new memories in the decades to come."

We'll have more on this and what it means for Maryland moving forward in the coming days.

Jul 7, 2015, 2:41 PM [ in reply to Re: Just read where Oklahoma's President ]

I am sure we would more than make up for that in the long term. If you are asking if I can pay the $50 million my answer is a simple, no. I can't even afford a membership to tigernet but that should make my opinion any less valuable than yours or anyone else's no matter HOW MUCH YOU YELL.

Jul 7, 2015, 2:52 PM

WHAT IN THE BLUEHELL IS WRONG WITH THE ACC. FSU JUST PARLAYED IT INTO A NATIONAL CHAMP. AND A FINAL 4 TRIP. WHAT CONFERENCE DO YOU GOOBERS THINK IT IS EASIEST TO MAKE A FINAL 4 RUN. IMO THAT IS WHAT I AM LOOKING FOR. NOT TO BE ABLE TO SAY I AM IN THE BIG BAD SEC.

MONEY. PRESTIGE. HUGE SHOWDOWNS EVERY WEEK.

Jul 7, 2015, 2:56 PM

SOUTHERN RIVALRIES. GREAT TAILGATES AND ROAD TRIPS. FOOTBALL CONFERENCE ALL THE WAY.

Message was edited by: AThomas®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: MONEY. PRESTIGE. HUGE SHOWDOWNS EVERY WEEK.

Jul 7, 2015, 3:06 PM

AND A MUCH LESS CHANCE OF MAKING FINAL 4 RUNS. LETS SEE, ROAD TRIPS TO MIAMI, ATLANTA, BOSTON, PITTSBURGH, LOUISVILLE ETC OR LETS SEE HATTIESBURG, COLUMBIA, COLUMBIA, AND ON AND ON. SEC HAS ITS PERKS FOR SURE BUT I WANT THE BIG PRIZE, NOT SOMEWHERE I FIND IT COOL TO EAT A CHICKEN WING AND DRINK BEER. WE GET TO DO THAT 7 TIMES AT THE GREATEST STADIUM ON EARTH.

Pretty sure they don't

Jul 7, 2015, 3:08 PM

sell beer at Death Valley.

;)

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aspiring member of the TigerNet Sewer Dwellers

Jul 7, 2015, 3:24 PM [ in reply to Re: MONEY. PRESTIGE. HUGE SHOWDOWNS EVERY WEEK. ]

The SEC doesn't play in Hattiesburg!!!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 7, 2015, 3:30 PM

FOR GODS SAKE, PARDON ME. MEANT STARKVEGAS

Jul 7, 2015, 3:19 PM [ in reply to MONEY. PRESTIGE. HUGE SHOWDOWNS EVERY WEEK. ]

Wait, I thought we were a basketball school?

Wasn't the difference between ACC payouts and SEC payouts

Jul 7, 2015, 2:48 PM [ in reply to Re: Just read where Oklahoma's President ]

about $10 million? If so, we recoup in 5 years.

Ignoring the time value of money...

Jul 7, 2015, 3:42 PM

doesn't make it disappear.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Easy fix

Jul 7, 2015, 3:49 PM [ in reply to Re: Just read where Oklahoma's President ]

Clemson just has to get several other schools to join it in voting to get the exit fee reduced.

I'm not saying we should leave, Swofford is bound to retire fairly soon and hopefully he can be replaced by someone who doesn't have a son who needs a job and a favorite school to protect.

The Coots would NEVER let us in. It's all they have.

Jul 7, 2015, 2:40 PM

They would be forced to root for us in the playoffs.

ACC settled with Maryland...Cost them about 35

Jul 7, 2015, 2:43 PM

million......

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Orange Googlers Unite

Save Tigernet--Boot the coots(you know who I mean).

Re: The Coots would NEVER let us in. It's all they have.

Jul 7, 2015, 2:43 PM [ in reply to The Coots would NEVER let us in. It's all they have. ]

You're probably right. The SEC must have been desperate in 1992 to add them as a member.

They wanted a doormat. And got one.***

Jul 7, 2015, 3:13 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

SEC ... Slyve's sly, sleazy, slimy, sluggish, slick schtick

Jul 7, 2015, 2:44 PM

is slipping... He saw it and that's why he left.

Message was edited by: SOLOS®

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

In order to move to the $EC, we wood have to

Jul 7, 2015, 2:46 PM

be invited -- and we won't be.

And even if we were invited, I just don't see our admin and high $$ donors getting behind the idea.

Aspiring member of the TigerNet Sewer Dwellers

Do you really want to be a part of the SEC?

Jul 7, 2015, 2:54 PM

I don't.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

i quite like not being part of the SEC....

Jul 7, 2015, 3:26 PM

it makes it all the better when a "lowly" ACC team beats the he!! out of them on a regular basis!!!

Jul 7, 2015, 3:01 PM

It won't happen unless the power 5 break away from the NCAA. I fully support playing Georgia every year and going to see the girls The Grove though.

I think the 5 will collapse into 4. Who will be the lucky 4

Jul 7, 2015, 3:02 PM

football conferences?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I think the 5 will collapse into 4. Who will be the lucky 4

Jul 7, 2015, 3:05 PM

Rock Paper Scissors tournament.

"see"...? I ain't driving that far to 'watch'....***

Jul 7, 2015, 3:03 PM [ in reply to Re: Just read where Oklahoma's President ]

Re: "see"...? I ain't driving that far to 'watch'....***

Jul 7, 2015, 3:06 PM

Is that you Jameis? I kid.

Bill... with the 'ludes... (I kid, too!) ;~)***

Jul 7, 2015, 3:10 PM

Y'all need to get over it. We're a charter member of ACC &

Jul 7, 2015, 3:07 PM

we are not leaving in the immediate future and probably never.

When old John "Bozo the Clown" Swofford came to visit

Jul 7, 2015, 3:12 PM

Clemson's BOT he knew Clemson was looking around with FSU for a better deal.

If FSU was ever poached by the SEC or Big 12 it would be tough to be on the outside looking into the Big 4 football conferences-including watching our big rival USuC--from our lowly position in the basketball ACC.

Re: When old John "Bozo the Clown" Swofford came to visit

Jul 7, 2015, 3:21 PM

That is exactly what I fear....we are on the outside looking in and honestly, if FSU leaves then the ACC will be viewed as a secondary conference with us as the only big fish in a little pond. As little positive attention as we get from most of the national media we would be clumped in with the other losers in the ACC. Honestly, that scares me.

Thought this was hashed and rehashed to death a couple

Jul 7, 2015, 3:47 PM [ in reply to When old John "Bozo the Clown" Swofford came to visit ]

of years ago. You must be hearing something about the Big 12 expanding AGAIN?

After the Russell Athletic Bowl he's scared of the ACC !***

Jul 7, 2015, 3:22 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 7, 2015, 3:38 PM

Clemson nor FSU will ever get an invitation to SECheat. Look at our recruiting. The SECheat knows that Clemson and FSU can compete with them now while in a basketball conference. If we were in the SECheat and use that as a bargaining agreement with a lot of recruits. Who would be #1 and 2 in recruiting every year, not Bama? plus the fact that Florida and USuC would do everything they could to block us getting there. Go Tigers.

It would help their recruiting.

Jul 7, 2015, 3:41 PM

I do not think being in the SEC is possible with USuCk fighting tooth and ###### against it. I also do not believe that being in the SEC will add sufficient benefit to recruiting.

Traditionalism will probably remain boss at Clemson.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Would you please fill us in on the "dying conference"

Jul 7, 2015, 3:44 PM

you talk about?

Re: Would you please fill us in on the "dying conference"

Jul 7, 2015, 3:56 PM

I regret posting the "dying conference" remark, That was stupid and I am sorry.

No problem. You weren't on the board a couple of years

Jul 7, 2015, 4:36 PM

ago when leaving the ACC was a "done deal". A lot of posters wanted it to be true but leaving the ACC would be the worse thing we could do IMO. The ACC payout/team has accelerated the last couple of years and should really get in the ballpark with the other conferences when the ACC channel is implemented.

Dying conference?

Jul 7, 2015, 3:47 PM

You mean the one that won this years basketball and baseball national championships and the previous years football national championship. I think we'll be alright.

No thanks. I hate the SEC and everything they represent.***

Jul 7, 2015, 3:50 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

The problem here is YOU do have teams in the ACC

Jul 7, 2015, 4:09 PM

that represent what you don't like in the SEC. We will start with the old UNCheaters. Or we could throw in Miami players getting those money handshakes or even GT having to give up the conference title. Or dare we talk about FSU and all its QB troubles.

Re: The problem here is YOU do have teams in the ACC

Jul 7, 2015, 4:15 PM

ROTFLMFAO. YOU ARE GOING TO SIT THERE AND COMPARE THE ACC OR ANY OTHER CONFERENCE FOR THAT MATTER TO THE THINGS THAT GO ON IN THE SEC. SIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIGH

The ACC isn't perfect by any means, but it has the right blend of academics and athletics.

Jul 7, 2015, 5:03 PM [ in reply to The problem here is YOU do have teams in the ACC ]

I don't get the fascination with the SEC. Sure, they have some big time college football, but the ACC has enough of that to satisfy me PLUS it also has great basketball, some fun really road trips, and excellent academics. This isn't just about football to me. If it is to you, then that's certainly your prerogative.

I know we both want what is best for Clemson, and given our academic and athletic standing and goals, I think we are in a great conference for us.

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

My solace--I don't think conferences will last as they are

Jul 7, 2015, 5:10 PM

and that both the ACC and SEC will be melted into some larger national division to make way for the 64 or 66 team mega-division. Clemson, BTW, will do just fine with its mix of new and old divisional foes.

GO TIGERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jul 7, 2015, 4:25 PM

Clemson is an ACC school and will always be one.
Screw the SEC, we will be just fine right where we are at.

Jul 7, 2015, 7:53 PM

Unfortunately we agreed to the ridiculous buyout which makes it prohibitive.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We're in a much better position to win a title in the ACC

Jul 7, 2015, 9:22 PM

As much as SC fans like to brag about being in the big, bad SEC...well...they're in the big, bad SEC. They'll likely never sniff a conference title or playoff appearance there.

Most years, we'll just need to make it through FSU and Louisville to win an ACC title and make the playoff. And I'm alright with that. We're set up better for the long run.

Replies: 48
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic