Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Tillman Hall and the call for a name change
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 7
| visibility 1,203

Tillman Hall and the call for a name change

Jul 6, 2015, 9:40 PM

I remember last winter countless gamecock supports posting day after day on here about changing name, because Tillman owned slaves. In that light I say The University of South Carolina needs to changet it's mascot. The Gamecock wasn't selected, because it's a fighting, but because it's the nickname of Thomas Sumter a slave owner!!!!! That's right The University of South Carolina mascot is the nickname of a slave owner.... It must be changed now!!!!! We must remove that racist chant of go #####!!!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Two things I wouldn't wish on someone else.

Jul 6, 2015, 9:42 PM

Helll or the PC crowd.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Two things I wouldn't wish on someone else.

Jul 6, 2015, 9:47 PM

It was in jest, I was just pointing out if we start down the name changing road it will be a long one...

Re: Two things I wouldn't wish on someone else.

Jul 6, 2015, 9:52 PM

I would like it to stay. Nothing quite like snacking on your rival before every home game. Who would want to be a pea brained bird for a mascot?!

Ben Tillman would have been 17 in 1864 ...

Jul 6, 2015, 9:52 PM

... so I doubt he personally had much to do with ownership of slaves, though his family probably did prior to and during the Civil War.

I'm not arguing your point about the fact that most of South Carolina's early political and military leaders were most likely slave owners.

I'm just saying that Ben Tillman was still rather young when the Civil War ended (at which point the Emancipation Proclamation would have been the law of the land in the North and the South, and the West).

Re: Ben Tillman would have been 17 in 1864 ...

Jul 6, 2015, 10:08 PM

Slave ownership was very common throughout the world until the 1800's. Most white early settlers came as indentured servants, having to work for their sponsor for seven years to repay their passage to America. The 7 year time table is a biblical law, that states no man can hold another man in debt for more than 7 years, any debt owed after 7 years was to be forgiven. I'm not saying slavery is okay, just that it was an excepted way of life in the world long before it came to our country. The sad thing is the latest estimates are that there are more than a 500,000 slaves in the US and more than 5 million worldwide. Almost all of them in the sex trade and are from eastern Europe and Asia.

I think they should officially adopt the Coot as their mascot.***

Jul 6, 2015, 9:53 PM

From what I've read about Sumter, he couldn't lead a two car

Jul 7, 2015, 12:03 AM

funeral.

Replies: 7
| visibility 1,203
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic