Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
This is exactl how I remember Athens. This letter from an
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 20
| visibility 3,389

This is exactl how I remember Athens. This letter from an

Jul 5, 2015, 5:28 PM

Auburn fan nails it. I went in 1982 lost 13-7, in 1984 lost 26-23, and 1986 won 31-28. The 1982 trip was the worst and matched this letter to a tee. I can't see how things never change in Athens.

http://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/sec-football/auburn-fan-writes-open-letter-mistreatment-athens/

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Clemson vs. UGA games in Clemson I did not witness

Jul 5, 2015, 5:34 PM

Clemson people treating Georgia people this badly. In the game, the crowd was tough and loud, but no personal attacks.

1979 Clemson won 12-7
1981 Clemson won 13-3
1983 Tie 16-16
1985 lost 13-20
1987 Clemson won 21-20
1990 Clemson won 34-3

Or 2013 when Clemson won 38-35. I have not been back to

Jul 5, 2015, 5:35 PM

a game in Athens since 1986 31-28 win for us.

Re: Or 2013 when Clemson won 38-35. I have not been back to

Jul 5, 2015, 6:24 PM

See my post below. You are 100% accurate!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Clemson vs. UGA games in Clemson I did not witness

Jul 5, 2015, 6:24 PM [ in reply to Clemson vs. UGA games in Clemson I did not witness ]

100% accurate!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: This is exactl how I remember Athens. This letter from an

Jul 5, 2015, 5:40 PM

Spat on 20 times and he wasn't running his mouth? I went to Athens last year for our game and was genuinely surprised by how well my group was treated. You hear a lot of stories like this about Georgia but my experience was fun. Downtown, and at the two tailgate parties I went to the people were very hospitable.

Jul 5, 2015, 6:28 PM

You are the exception to the rule. Count yourself lucky. Of course, had they lost, your tires probably would have been slashed or deflated. I guess you are lucky that we lost. That doesn't even matter sometimes, because I've seen it happen when both occurred.

I went to Clemson vs. UGA in 2002.

Jul 5, 2015, 6:02 PM

Got spit on many times and had unopened cans of bear thrown at me while walking into the stadium. I was only 16 and I wasn't even talking trash or anything. Worst experience I've ever had at a football game.

1982 at uga was the worst I've experiienced......and.....

Jul 5, 2015, 6:11 PM

in 2nd place was in cootville in 1987. The crowd behavior was totally uncalled for and unprovoked.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yes, I'll have to say 1982 in Athens was the absolute worst

Jul 5, 2015, 6:15 PM

for me also.

Went in 82. Blacked out. A week later polaroids arrived in the mail of me at a donkey show

Jul 5, 2015, 7:37 AM

Not just at it, but the entertainment on stage opposite the donkey.

And I thought I had a bad night.***

Jul 5, 2015, 11:10 PM

Yep, can remember being spat at by Uga fans...

Jul 5, 2015, 11:28 PM [ in reply to 1982 at uga was the worst I've experiienced......and..... ]

...from the upper deck while we were waiting to enter the gate. 1982.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I was 6 my Mother let me have a kitten. It died. Don't send prayers, a TU is better." - tugalooriver circa 2022

Jul 5, 2015, 6:23 PM

This is 100% an accurate description of what I saw (key word here is "saw" every time I attended a game there or one of their games at a different venue. Many of my visits were to non Clemson games as guests of uga fans who are family friends. I've never been to one of their games when their own fans didn't get in a fight among themselves, nor did I ever go to a uga game, and I have been to many, where the type behavior described was not seen. Very disgusting, and there seems to be no shame from most of their fans. I even saw little kids talking so ugly to grown ups who were just passing by while their parents stood by acting like it was so cute that "little johnny" was being so assertive. I never go to Athens now, nor will I. I don't like to be in a cesspool like that. That also is why I don't go to cola anymore either. They are just as bad, but I won't say they are worse. Also, I will add that I have been to so many games at so many stadiums in the US in my life. never have I seen that anywhere else. Not to that degree.

I've heard things have "improved" in Athens in the last

Jul 5, 2015, 6:44 PM

few years (although judging from this guy's experience, maybe things haven't improved as much as I was told), but I'll never know. My last trip to Sanford in the early 80's was my last trip there (sorry to be redundant). I'll NEVER make that mistake again. An old friend even had a freakin' KNIFE pulled on him walking through the parking lot to the stadium. Being spit at/on, having drink cups tossed at ya, incessantly cursed and threatened,....I always thought that was part of buying a UGa ticket.

And to those "good" UGa fans claiming there a "few" drunks and rowdies at "every" stadium, I say, if you dawgs want your reputation changed, then YOU need to start speaking to those "few" drunken aholes.

They condition they leave their own campus in after a game is evidence of a lot more than just a "few" rowdy drunks.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 5, 2015, 6:54 PM

I was at the 1982 game as well and the memories are still vivid. My girlfriend (wife -to-be) and another couple drove over from Clemson that day (game was Labor Day night).

We didn't go to a bar or have any alcoholic beverages during our tailgate. We were completely respectful, not cheering, yelling or drawing any attention to ourselves as we walked through campus on the way to the stadium. I have never been yelled or cussed at by as many types of human beings (men,women,students,etc) for simply walking down a sidewalk as I experienced that afternoon/evening. All completely unprovoked except that we were wearing orange. I've been to several games at the cockroach, but have never seen that type of negative behavior by so many people as we did that Labor Day night. I can excuse a few misguided miscreants, but we drove away from Athens with the impression that behavior was representative of the fanbase. Living on the Carolina / Georgia border, I see more than my share of dawg fans. I'd say half are decent and the other half are the spitting, beer-throwing, 60 year old woman cussing types.

In a nutshell, the southeast's version of West Virginia fans. (I have my Orange Bowl stories, but I'll share those another time)

Things have changed recently. I'm shocked too.

Jul 5, 2015, 6:54 PM

UGA is rightly known for their trash fanbase. They have loud, violent, obnoxious losers who behave like animals... and they always have. But last year the entire town was extremely well behaved. I was treated exceptionally well, along with my entire group, by fans and bartenders. Best non-Clemson experience I've ever had before a game. Still confused as to how that happened.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That's good to hear. Living in Atlanta, I kept hearing on

Jul 5, 2015, 11:12 PM

the news about four years ago that the University was demanding that fans not trash the campus and stop urinating in public on campus. Maybe they cracked down on some of the behavior toward visitors as well.

But like I said, I haven't been back there since 1986 and

Jul 5, 2015, 11:22 PM

1982 is still vivid with me as well. And as others said, every type of person joined in on the abuse, students, men, women, older women, kids, just disgusting all of them. I really couldn't believe it. The open letter I posted from the Auburn fan described my trip to a tee.

I was...

Jul 5, 2015, 6:57 PM

...at that '84 game. I was 14 years old.
Grown men were pointing and screaming in my face.
I had never been attacked like that before.
I despise Kevin Butler more though.

Cricket Chirp Temperature Formula:
Number of Chirps per 14 seconds + 40 = Approximate Temperature

UGA fans are, without question or exception.....

Jul 6, 2015, 8:07 AM

the most vile and repugnant group of fans I have ever encountered and it's really not even close.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Replies: 20
| visibility 3,389
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic