Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Fox has 2 hours of pre-game for a women's soccer match?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 35
| visibility 1

Fox has 2 hours of pre-game for a women's soccer match?

Jul 5, 2015, 3:36 PM

Are you kidding me??? This is what sports programming in this country has come to??? Aye yi yi...

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It's the World Cup Championship, and the US is in it.

Jul 5, 2015, 3:41 PM

What amount of pregame coverage do you think would be appropriate?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

10, 15 minutes?***

Jul 5, 2015, 3:47 PM

C'mon. At least half an hour.***

Jul 5, 2015, 4:01 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car."

"I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it."

Re: It's the World Cup Championship, and the US is in it.

Jul 5, 2015, 4:01 PM [ in reply to It's the World Cup Championship, and the US is in it. ]

The amount justified by the ratings. I suspect this is longer because the agenda is to force soccer on America and eventually get rid of football. I think soccer is a fine sport but let's not pretend people in this country care that much about soccer. The NBA finals only had an hour.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: It's the World Cup Championship, and the US is in it.

Jul 5, 2015, 4:09 PM

Well, each to his own, but I won't be watching any soccer or NBA games.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

wow! paranoid much! Lol...

Jul 5, 2015, 4:34 PM [ in reply to Re: It's the World Cup Championship, and the US is in it. ]

Support our ladies or just sit quiet in the corner please!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: wow! paranoid much! Lol...

Jul 5, 2015, 5:22 PM

I would kindly suggest some posters get a life beyond their Tunnel vision view of the world. Football in the vast majority of the planet is beyond our obsession with Tiger sports. The two are certainly worth supporting, but the World Cup is far more important to the globe by comparison.

Go Tigers!

Why replace football with soccer

Jul 7, 2015, 2:15 PM [ in reply to Re: It's the World Cup Championship, and the US is in it. ]

there's room in the calendar for both. It's not like when football came to popularity people were trying to replace baseball

Believe it or not, there are sports other than football....

Jul 5, 2015, 5:37 PM

I know, I know - crazy talk. But people, even college fanbases, have more to cheer for than football. It's been a tough year for us, except for football. But other sports exist. Trust me, they do. One day soon we'll have other sports to be proud of as well. Better days are ahead. Go Tigers!!

Re: Fox has 2 hours of pre-game for a women's soccer match?

Jul 5, 2015, 5:45 PM

they need 2 hrs to get in all the commercials then before game. Not any during game, Over 1 hr of them.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Truetiger and starter of this thread...

Jul 5, 2015, 10:46 PM

This is pure ignorance. Do you not remember last summer? Mens World Cup ratings were through the roof. Soccer is outperforming every sport not called football in the ratings. European Soccer gets higher ratings in the U.S. than baseball. More ppl watched the U.S. women's semi finals than watched the world series by a large margin. MLS in many major cities are outdrawing baseball in attendance. No, soccer is not big in the South, but it is becoming huge in America's major cities. Every kid is playing soccer. I'm a teacher. Kids wear soccer jerseys to school, not baseball jerseys. Maybe your hometown doesn't see it, but the major cities in this country care as much about this as they do the super bowl.

But I bet you guys have lived in the south your entire lives

Jul 5, 2015, 11:01 PM

And hate change of any kind. Colin Cowherd did a study on correlation between states that hate soccer and hate gay marriage. Same exact states. States where soccer is popular are socially liberal and progressive states. You don't hate soccer. You hate change. Well soccer is becoming huge In America. Gay Marriage is becoming legal everywhere. Change is happening and the South can't stop it. I'm sorry to be the one to tell you guys. Explore the world. Get out of your little hometown. See what is really happening in the world.

Re: But I bet you guys have lived in the south your entire lives

Jul 5, 2015, 11:09 PM

Stereotype much Dantzler?

I thought liberals were against stereotyping of any kind, towards anyone?

Oh, that only applies when it fits into your agenda.

For relaxing times, make it Suntory time

"socially liberal and progressive states"...

Jul 5, 2015, 11:18 PM [ in reply to But I bet you guys have lived in the south your entire lives ]

...have spoken. You rednecks need to shut up and embrace it. It's called "tolerance", or "shut the hell up if you don't agree" or something like that. This has already been decided for you. Friggin redneck haterz.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I was 6 my Mother let me have a kitten. It died. Don't send prayers, a TU is better." - tugalooriver circa 2022

Re: But I bet you guys have lived in the south your entire lives

Jul 7, 2015, 8:28 AM [ in reply to But I bet you guys have lived in the south your entire lives ]

Wow you're an idiot.

Using Cowherd as a source for anything confirms it.

null

do soccer players get as much money as baseball

Jul 6, 2015, 1:25 AM [ in reply to Truetiger and starter of this thread... ]

players since the ratings are better?

Re: do soccer players get as much money as baseball

Jul 6, 2015, 3:16 AM

> players since the ratings are better?

Are you kidding me? MLS teams are on a massive salary cap since they're trying to avoid going bankrupt but even their designated players (each team is allowed 3) are allowed David Beckham-like salaries...which is why it's called the "David Beckham rule". Which is why Beckham, Robbie Keane, Thierry Henry, Kaka, David Villa, Stephen Gerrard, and Frank Lampard are now playing here...and why even the world's most absurdly-paid athletes (Christiano Ronaldo, Lionel Messi, and Zlatan Ibrahimoc) are talking openly about wanting to. If you haven't heard of those guys...don't worry. You and your neighbors really are the only ones; the rest of the world assuredly has.

To put into context how much the top soccer guys make, a few years back (2008 or 2009, I believe), Manchester United in the English Premier League decided to "sell" Christiano Ronaldo to Real Madrid of the Spanish soccer league, La Liga. Real Madrid spent 80 million Euros - not dollars, mind you, Euros - just for his transfer fee...in other words, the right to his contract. That translated into about $130 million dollars at the time...and it did not pay one cent towards Ronaldo's salary...which Real Madrid has still never revealed publicly. How good is Ronaldo? Search him on Youtube.com sometime. He gets more hits than U2, Coldplay, or Taylor Swift put together, I promise.

Yeah, the New York Yankees pay a lot of money. It doesn't come close to what the likes of Madrid, Barcelona, Manchester United, Bayern Munich, or Chelsea pay, or the following those teams and their players have world-wide.

By the way...the front page of the Guardian...which is England's big paper...(it switches every 12 hours, so it'll only be good until early tomorrow morning, England time)....
http://www.theguardian.com/us

Whatever, whole lotta folks world-wide were watching that. And came away impressed.

A) I'm a Republican, not a Liberal...B) Yes,

Jul 6, 2015, 3:54 AM

Soccer players make more money than any sport. Messi is making 50 mill a year at Barcelona, Ronaldo 52 mill a year at Real. Is LeBron making that? Is Brady? Nope.

Re: A) I'm a Republican, not a Liberal...B) Yes,

Jul 6, 2015, 3:59 AM

And women's soccer does better in America than any mens sport outside football. Fact.

Chelsea often pays 30+million

Jul 6, 2015, 4:16 AM

In transfer fees for backup players. Guys who barely play they pay 30+ mill in transfer fees and then more than American superstars make in salary to backup players. Please argue that baseball players or any sport makes as much as soccer. Please make yourself look that stupid.

Jul 6, 2015, 4:34 AM [ in reply to Re: A) I'm a Republican, not a Liberal...B) Yes, ]

Carli Lloyd put herself (briefly) into that select company tonight.

Unbelievable. A hat trick in a World Cup...last (and only) time somebody did that was some English guy in 1966...that being, incidentally, the last time England - who invented the game - won one.

The last one she hit from 55+ yards out. No joke. Soccer fields are usually 110, 120 yards long...and BC Place - like most of the Canadian venues - was a dual-purpose stadium, built without tackle football dimensions. Lloyd still had midfield chalk on her boots when she let go of that ball. Which is the kind of stuff you have to do, to score an actual hat trick in a World Cup. People will try the next 25 years to replicate what just happened.

To put that into context, what she did is like hitting a 55-yard field goal. After scooping the ball about 65 yards out, and with the person who was trying to take the ball from you still breathing down your neck. WITH the goal shrunk down to just 9 feet high. WITH somebody standing at the goal whose sole purpose it is to keep it out. Who is allowed to use their hands to stop you from doing that.

But Carli Lloyd..wow. the girl was just...on fire. She saw the Japanese keeper was out, she had a go. Boom. Goal, USA. Her third of the night. The...disbelief from anybody who knows soccer was...astounding to watch. Everybody's had their chip-the-keeper attempt; it never works. Ever. Somehow she pulled hers off. Last time I can remember anybody - anybody! - doing that was about 2-3 years ago...in the English Premier League. But to pull that off...from 55+?

Nobody does that. Nobody.

Power to the ladies. They earned it, tonight.

Jul 7, 2015, 8:30 AM [ in reply to Re: A) I'm a Republican, not a Liberal...B) Yes, ]

lol great ratings once every 4 years does not mean Womens Soccer is doing better than any other sport.

Are you really this gd stupid?

If womens soccer was doing so great they woudlnt be on their THIRD professional league in a little over a decade.

The first two folded due to no one actually caring about Womens soccer. The newest one is being subsidized by the USSF.

null

Those guys (Ibra, Ronaldo, etc) want to play here, but not

Jul 7, 2015, 8:37 AM [ in reply to Re: do soccer players get as much money as baseball ]

anywhere near their prime. They will play the peak of their careers at Real/Barca/PSG/Chelsea/etc, and then when they reach the stage of their career when they are no longer good enough to play for one of the top clubs in the world, they come to MLS instead of ending up on a lower tier Euro team or playing in Turkey or something. They make pretty good money, they get to live in America, they remain stars to a certain extent, and skill-wise they are still good enough to be a top tier MLS player despite being well past their prime and not good enough for top level Euro competition. Lampard and Gerrard are not great players any longer. Pirlo is still fun to watch, but he can barely move around the field these days.

Anyway, i agree we should compare NBA/NFL salaries to what the top players at the major clubs in Europe are being paid. The transfer record is now 100M euros that Madrid paid Spurs for Gareth Bale two years ago, which is just a ludicrous amount of money. They broke their own record that was set with the Ronaldo transfer from ManU. I think Messi is highest payed player right now. Here's a quote about his earnings from a UK publication:

"Lionel Messi is the highest paid player in the world after banking nearly £1million a week last year.

France Football’s annual survey of wages reckons the Barcelona star earns over £26m in his basic salary before bonuses.

And the Argentine earns almost the same again in commercial deals with blue-chip sponsors like adidas, FIFA 15 and Turkish Airline to take his total annual income to £47.8m."

26M pounds in base salary at 1.54 pounds per dollar (currently) is like $40M a year. For comparison i think Clayton Kershaw has the biggest MLB deal at around $30M/year, and Kobe (lol) is making around 25M/year, but with the NBA salary cap set to increase by a good amount soon. Top NFL salary is only $22M, which is likely explained by the large number of players that have to be payed.

Re: Fox has 2 hours of pre-game for a women's soccer match?

Jul 5, 2015, 11:44 PM

If you universally love Tiger Athletics, soccer is a gem in your bucket.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5KN7ciod2k

It's a big deal

Jul 6, 2015, 1:48 AM

http://www.dailynews.com/events/20150704/fifa-womens-world-cup-is-a-tv-ratings-bonanza-and-then-some

Now do you get it?

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

Are you kidding me?

Jul 6, 2015, 4:50 AM

You know there's a 2 hour pregame show for a female soccer match?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

1) It's summer,

Jul 6, 2015, 7:09 AM

2) women's soccer is fun to watch,
3) if you don't want to watch, great. Why do you care? Or are you just looking for a place to whine?

This is the board of a great university

Jul 6, 2015, 3:56 PM

I would expect more educated, open minded people on here.

Re: This is the board of a great university

Jul 7, 2015, 7:35 AM

Educated, sure...open-minded, well, that's a bit much to expect in South Carolina. Not everyone on this board is a Clemson alum either.

Plus there's a whole army of folks here who p!ss and moan about soccer just to hear themselves talk.

Re: This is the board of a great university

Jul 7, 2015, 8:32 AM [ in reply to This is the board of a great university ]

Judging by your posts in this thread you are neither of those things.... Congrats...

I am a pretty big soccer supporter btw so dont even try that angle on me.

null

Over 25 Million watched that World Cup championship

Jul 7, 2015, 11:37 AM

http://money.cnn.com/2015/07/06/media/record-rating-womens-world-cup/

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

And what would normally be on Fox in that timeslot

Jul 7, 2015, 11:53 AM

that you so desperately wanted to watch? Probably nothing.

DanterFan01

Jul 7, 2015, 12:00 PM

You are confusing World Cup ratings (once every 4 years) with year end/year out soccer ratings. Women's TV ratings in a non World Cup year are not very impressive. Also, look at the actual game attendance for 50-60% of Men's MLS games! Not very good!!!

Obviously women's soccer isn't going to get ratings

Jul 7, 2015, 12:45 PM

outside of the world cup. That's just as much, and probably more so, a women's sports issue than it is a soccer issue. Nobody is watching the WNBA either.

Average MLS attendance this year is close to 21,000, and the average stadium capacity has been like 92%. I don't see how that could be viewed as "not very good." MLS attendance has been trending upward since 2000, and has increased by roughly 45% over that span. The league is growing in popularity, and soccer is growing in popularity in the US. Get used to it.

Re: DanterFan01

Jul 7, 2015, 1:24 PM [ in reply to DanterFan01 ]

Umm MLS attendance has actually been very good. Not sure what you are looking at.

null

Replies: 35
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic