Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
For your edification concerning Tillman Hall (link)
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 17
| visibility 3,471

For your edification concerning Tillman Hall (link)

Jul 4, 2015, 8:53 AM

name change. This is from the faculty senate past president.
There's another link on that page with another letter from other faculty senate past presidents. Second link posted below.

The faculty senate is the bridge between the board and the faculty.

Don't shoot the messenger. Saw 71PR's post. Then Google did it. Below was posted Thursday night.

http://blogs.clemson.edu/facultysenate/2015/07/02/sustainable-leadership-historical-remembrance-and-transforming-community-renaming-tillman-hall-as-a-substantive-element-of-2020forward-open-forum-essay/

http://blogs.clemson.edu/facultysenate/2015/07/02/we-have-the-appetite-to-rename-tillman-hall-do-you-open-forum-essay/

Have a Happy Fourth! Pork butt is All In.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

if you give a mouse a cookie..... this will never end.

Jul 4, 2015, 9:21 AM

these dooshy mice reveal their dooshiness by very deliberately adding the word "fear" in the sentence describing Tillman (i'm sure they giggled and were puffed up with pride at their cowardly stab at the long dead man).

There's no defending the Red Shirts, and of course the naming of Tillman Hall is not to honor that.

"Why would we honor this legacy by retaining his name on one of the iconic buildings on campus?" His name on the building to honor his legacy of being instrumental in the establishment of Clemson. Period.

if you are such a special, fragile snowflake that having your feelings hurt causes you to demand everyone else change to avoid upsetting you, perhaps it would be more practical if you just got some therapy.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Re: if you give a mouse a cookie..... this will never end.

Jul 4, 2015, 10:22 AM

Tiger_swimmer you just called an attack on a murderer of innocent people cowardly. Very ironic.

We shouldn't not change the name just on general principle. That's what stubborn people or children do. Not wanting to change because someone (outsider) told you to do it is another popular one. Just do whatever you think is right even if it is keep the name. No need to HONOR him any longer. His family sort of blackmailed Clemson when they needed money. That's why the change from Old Main in the first place.

You can still talk about what he did in the history books highlighting his contribution just like we do with all the other Clemson folks. Hard to defend a murderer. Slave owner when it was legal is one thing but murderer of innocent people is sort of out there.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

feel better now?***

Jul 4, 2015, 11:11 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Re: feel better now?***

Jul 4, 2015, 11:14 AM

I feel about as good as anyone who decides to put their opinion on a message board understanding that it doesn't mean they are right. Any feedback on what i said? After all that's all i gave you, feedback on your opinion.

I stated my opinion and why. The honor is for what he did to

Jul 4, 2015, 1:51 PM

establish Clemson, justifiably so. Period.

There is one side that gets what they want by taking advantage of crisis and emotion, and one side that works from calm and reason. I choose to stay on the side that doesn't respond hysterically using any unrelated tragedy to insist on achieving their long-standing goals.

Re: I stated my opinion and why. The honor is for what he did to

Jul 4, 2015, 10:06 PM

If this was a brand new issue that didn't exist prior to the tragedy I would agree 100%. There is a huge element of taking advantage but it's something that was already requested so let's not act like the only reason they are asking is because of Charleston.

To presumed innocent guy......He bragged about the murders and encouraged others to do the same. Not very noble but again, HE SAID HE DID IT.

And for what year did you graduate guy trying to establish that if i didn't go here my opinion doesn't matter. That's stupid. Right is right no matter what or who said it. Great attitude by the way. That's why our state is so far behind. We frown on outsiders telling us what to do. I say steal the outsiders ideas, claim as our own, tell those ###### to shut up but in the end our state is better.

Graduated from Clemson and worked multiple years for the university since. I have some influence but have been very neutral but leaning slightly to changing the name for the reasons i stated in previous posts. I would be OK if it stayed also however. The building isn't hurting anyone actually but still don't understand why we choose to honor such a bad person when we were blackmailed into naming it after him during a very vulnerable time in the schools history. Screw the family for every doing that to Clemson in the first place.

What year did you graduate from Clemson?

Jul 4, 2015, 1:03 PM [ in reply to Re: if you give a mouse a cookie..... this will never end. ]

It matters.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

presumed innocent***

Jul 4, 2015, 2:55 PM [ in reply to Re: if you give a mouse a cookie..... this will never end. ]

Interesting - thanks for posting. It appears Clemson faculty

Jul 4, 2015, 9:39 AM

will continue to encourage dialogue and support change.

Regardless of discipline or field, the best embrace being on the leading or cutting edge. Certainly in science and technology, it is the cutting edge advancements that have dramatically changed the world in the nearly six decades I have been alive. Upon reflection, social values and norms have also evolved at an astonishing pace.

Change is inevitable - might as well manage it to Clemson's benefit.

You speak of change like it's necessary.

Jul 4, 2015, 1:07 PM

Not all change is good.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Not for changing the name, but "Old Main" is much

Jul 4, 2015, 10:04 AM

cooler than Tillman and more historically accurate.

I'm just against changing the name due to the principal of it. They shouldn't have changed it back in the 40s.

The board of trustees said no.

Jul 4, 2015, 12:55 PM

What don't people understand about that?

Just think about this:

Jul 4, 2015, 5:52 PM

What would be going on regarding the multiple murders in Charleston

IF-----IF---

Dylan had not displayed a battle flag on his Elantra, but a:

1. Gamecock tag

2. Tiger Paw tag

3. Citadel Bulldog tag..

4. etc...

All this started when the media zoomed in on the front of his car, saw what was there, and let everyone else run with it.

I just posted what I heard on WBT Thursday night.

Just one thought that had been brought to my attention. History usually proves that if we fail to remember past events and don't learn from them, we probably will repeat them again. Removing a reminder of past transgressions is kind of like shredding an important document. You know it was important but you forget the content.

That's complete ########.

Jul 4, 2015, 10:37 PM

When the KKK was looking for a symbol they adopted the confederate flag. Not the gamecock flag. When the SC legislature was pissed about integration in '61 they flew the confederate flag. Not the Clemson flag.

That flag has been a symbol of hate and white supremacy for over 100 years. Heritage my ###.

So if we take down the flag we'll slowly start building slavery back up? Germans don't have swastikas everywhere and they remember WWII pretty #### well.

On top of all of that, Tillman Hall has nothing to do with any of it.

Re: Just think about this:

Jul 5, 2015, 7:50 AM [ in reply to Just think about this: ]

Just as a side note, he was wearing a Gold's Gym t-shirt. What are your thoughts on action concerning that organization?

badge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That's why I...

Jul 5, 2015, 8:00 AM

Left Gold's and joined Planet Fitness. No lunks or killer racists at PF. :)

~JKB

Re: Just think about this:

Jul 6, 2015, 3:52 PM [ in reply to Re: Just think about this: ]

> Just as a side note, he was wearing a Gold's Gym
> t-shirt. What are your thoughts on action concerning
> that organization?

Really? Well, if Gold's Gym had been the universal symbol for segregation, white supremacy and racism for 150 years...then yeah....ban them from tax payer funded public property.

See how simple that is? Context is everything.

Replies: 17
| visibility 3,471
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic