Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Talking about a good vibe at Clemson, Marshall Tucker played
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 9
| visibility 5,990

Talking about a good vibe at Clemson, Marshall Tucker played

Jul 2, 2015, 10:16 PM

in a bar 3 miles from my house last night in Hermosa Beach and I got to relive my favorite concert at Littlejohn in November 1973. One original band member left --- Doug Gray.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Talking about a good vibe at Clemson, Marshall Tucker played

Jul 3, 2015, 2:00 AM

Well, I'll be.... I was also at that concert in Littlejohn in November, 1973. It was "Totally Awesome, Dude!" (And it would be interesting to know how much cannabis has been fused into those Corten steel girders overhead. No wonder they're renovating!) Man, great times. Unbeknown to me then, after graduating I would land in Spartanburg - of all places - the hometown of the Marshall Tucker Band, and I would marry a girl who grew up with Toy Caldwell, et. al., and hear stories of the garage sessions when they were just trying to pull it all together and make something happen. (The rest, as they say, is history....) I still live in Spartanburg, but one of these days I'm gonna' take me a south-bound till the train run outta' track.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I attended Marshall Tucker's first appearance at Littlejohn.

Jul 3, 2015, 4:20 AM

It was probably in 1971. Marshall Tucker AND Lynyrd Skynyrd opened for Chuck Berry. Now, that was a heck of a concert.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I believe it was 1973, checkout the link below --- Thanks

Jul 3, 2015, 9:37 AM

I had trouble remembering exactly what year it was. So I spent a good bit of time researching on internet. I knew whoever MTB played warm-up for had not been very good and I left the concert believing the MTB should have been the main act. The link below mentions MTB as warm-up for Cheech and Chong on 11/3/1973. I also remember Chuck Berry being a great concert and I don't remember a warm-up band at that concert which the link below says was in October 1973. I searched from 1969 through 1975 and the only time I can find Lynyrd Skynyrd is in 1975.

http://www.clemsonwiki.com/wiki/1973

• October 13: Clemson manages to at least beat Virginia in Death Valley, 32-27. Central Dance Association presents Chuck Berry in Littlejohn Coliseum at 8 p.m. Advance tickets are $5.25 and $6.25 on the floor, with $6.25 admission at the door. Tickets on sale in both dining halls, 11 a.m.-1 p.m. and 5-7 p.m. (Display advert, The Tiger, Friday 5 October 1973, Volume LXVII, Number 7, page 10.) Columbia Records releases seminal jazz fusion album "Head Hunters" by Herbie Hancock. Funky track "Chameleon" will get boat loads of airplay on WSBF for years to come.
• October 17: The Clemson University Concert Series presents "Godspell" in Littlejohn Coliseum, 8 p.m.
• October 20: The Tigers beat Duke, 24-8, in Memorial Stadium.
• October 27: The first televised Clemson game since 1968, as the Tigers meet N.C. State in Death Valley. The Wolfpack wins, 6-29. Aired by ABC, this is the eighth time the Tigers have been broadcast.
• November 3: Clemson beats Wake Forest, 35-8, in Memorial Stadium. Wake will go 1-9. Central Dance Association presents Cheech and Chong in Littlejohn Coliseum with opening act Marshall Tucker Band at 8 p.m. Advance tickets are $5.25 for general admission, $6.25 on the floor, and $6.25 at the door.

• February 8: Central Dance Association presents one heckuva show in Littlejohn Coliseum. Bonnie Bramlett (of Delaney and Bonnie & Friends fame) opens, followed by R.E.O. Speedwagon with headliners Lynyrd Skynyrd, all for $5.25 (advance), $6.25 for floor.

Re: I believe it was 1973, checkout the link below --- Thanks

Jul 3, 2015, 10:17 AM

And here we are nowadays, getting a terrible comedian (Kevin Hart) and even worse acts (Kesha, Kid Cudi, etc). The entire time I was here, the ONLY decent show was Josh Turner. I guess there isn't much good music left to go around ever since rock died off, country turned into electronic pop, and hip hop turned into...whatever the heck it is now (Bobby Shmurda anyone?) I'd love to see Sturgill Simpson play in the new Littlejohn or even open up Death Valley for concerts again.
Rant over.

Re: I attended Marshall Tucker's first appearance at Littlejohn.

Jul 3, 2015, 3:48 PM [ in reply to I attended Marshall Tucker's first appearance at Littlejohn. ]

If I remember correctly, Rufus and Marshall Tucker opened for Chuck Berry in 1973, then a couple weeks later, Lynyrd Skynyrd and Marshall Tucker opened for Cheech and Chong.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Tiger Band 70-74

Re: I attended Marshall Tucker's first appearance at Littlejohn.

Jul 3, 2015, 4:49 PM

I also saw the Chuck Berry show. Other Littlejohn shows in the 73-74 timeframe were Seals & Croft and Steely Dan.

Thanks for the info --- I have played "Can't You See" and

Jul 3, 2015, 9:24 AM [ in reply to Re: Talking about a good vibe at Clemson, Marshall Tucker played ]

"Take the Highway" during my life more than any other songs.

Thanks, now I'll be singing "Heard it in a love song"

Jul 3, 2015, 6:27 PM

till the cows hee-haw!!!!!!

Re: Talking about a good vibe at Clemson, Marshall Tucker played

Jul 3, 2015, 8:13 PM

I got lucky in 1997 when Tucker was playing the "House Of Blues" Chicago. One of the guys I worked with was from Sparkle City and knew one of the new band members. After some note passing, we got backstage passes after the show and drank with Doug and the others. George McCorkle was the most recent to pass away. First album I heard was "Searchin' For a Rainbow" and first concert I saw was that tour in Charleston. I still rank them as my second favorite band.

Replies: 9
| visibility 5,990
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic