Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
CBSSports - CFB Coaches with more chances than deserved
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 4
| visibility 1,324

CBSSports - CFB Coaches with more chances than deserved

Jun 30, 2015, 9:03 AM

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/writer/dennis-dodd/25228109/falling-up-college-football-coaches-with-more-chances-than-deserved

Falling Upward

Tommy Bowden

Let's be fair. No one in the family could live up to Papa Bowden. But at least Terry Bowden killed it for a time at Auburn. Tommy cashed in a 12-0 season at Tulane in 1998 and turned it into the Clemson job. In 10 seasons, Tommy won nine games only twice. He averaged slightly more than seven wins at Clemson. Dabo Swinney has taken the program to the next level since Tommy's departure.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Can't deny his record or inconsistencies

Jun 30, 2015, 9:52 AM

But most of these articles do not mention his contribution.

Bowden should be credited for truly laying the foundation for Clemson's recent success.

It was under his leadership that created the new focus on facilitIes, recruiting, and putting an emphasis on character and graduation.

Frank Howard was a 57% coach at Clemson and no-one will deny his importance to Clemson football.

No ...I'm not writing Bowden is exactly the same as Howard. No.... I'm not saying he should still be the hc.

I'm just writing that his major contributions will not show up on some random sports bloggers stat sheet. No one outside Clemson will recognize his contributions.

He was no Danny ford but he also wasn't Ken Hatfield.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Re: Can't deny his record or inconsistencies

Jun 30, 2015, 9:58 AM

Well said. CTB was exactly what Clemson needed, and he did his part in restoring the program.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

WL

Agree. This is just typical hack sports "journalism" stuff.

Jun 30, 2015, 10:17 AM [ in reply to Can't deny his record or inconsistencies ]

No one knows better than Clemson fans the limits of Bowden's coaching. But he did a TON of great things for the school, and he inherited a mess of a program. He turned around recruiting, ran a clean program, got the facilities back on track, owned the Gamecocks and got the FSU monkey off of our backs. We wouldn't be where we are right now if not for Bowden.

null

Re: CBSSports - CFB Coaches with more chances than deserved

Jun 30, 2015, 11:42 AM

If I remember correctly, Dodd was one of the mob claiming we were crazy to fire Tommy, and Clemson fans were delusional to expect more than Tommy's "slight better than seven wins" a season.

Replies: 4
| visibility 1,324
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic