Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
You think McDonnell would leave Louisville or is Clemson
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 24
| visibility 1,794

You think McDonnell would leave Louisville or is Clemson

May 29, 2015, 4:47 PM

a step down from Louisville in baseball? I know they have pretty good facilities. He played at Citadel and coached there for years so maybe he has a comfort level for our state.

Or would you prefer Monte Lee? McDonnell is much more proven, but maybe Lee is "hungrier"?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: You think McDonnell would leave Louisville or is Clemson

May 29, 2015, 5:03 PM

Monte Lee, who blew a conference championship in his own backyard against the kind of team we go crazy for losing to with a virtual lock on hosting a home regional on the line, is exactly the kind of major improvement we need. Not to mention losing to sCar and Clemson this year. Which makes them like 5th or 6th in the state.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Obviously McDonnell is proven. But we don't usually hire

May 29, 2015, 5:13 PM

guys like that. A coach like Lee seems to be more of who we go after. Slightly cheaper and an "up and comer".

From the state, learned under Tanner, and has a really solid body of work at CofC. Certainly wouldn't be considered a bad hire. But it's certainly riskier than a guy like Sully, Corbin or McDonnell.

I just don't think we'd be willing to pay enough for one of those.

Re: Obviously McDonnell is proven. But we don't usually hire

May 29, 2015, 5:23 PM

It makes no sense to fire a Jack Leggett to hire a Monte Lee. IF Clemson chooses to part ways with Jack Leggett anything less than an extremely successful power conference head coach is the school sh*tting on baseball the way they have on every sport other than football. While I don't even agree on principle that Jack should be replaced I can't understand how his detractors dont see with open eyes the deadly combination of bad hiring histories Dan Radakovich and Clemson University have. I've challenged people before to name a single succesful coach at any sport that didn't fall in this school's lap. Ford, Swinney, Ibrahim, Penley, Wilhelm, Leggett - were all already connected to Clemson. Rick Barnes from Providence was as big as it's gotten and that wasn't exactly earth shattering and we immediately rolled over and played dead as soon as other schools came courting. Monte Lee would have zero loyalty to this school so, even if he was succesful, we'd be searching for his replacement in a matter of a few years. Or he stinks and we fire him. Either way he's a short term solution with absolutely no evidence that he can actually provide a short term solution.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Lee is from Lugoff and has deep South Carolina connections.

May 29, 2015, 5:32 PM

I have a hard time believing he would ever leave Clemson if really successful. I just don't see him failing due to his recruiting ability. But like I said, he may not be my #1 choice, but a solid reasonable choice for sure.

Leggett has already peaked. I really can't think of a good reason to keep him. Even if we win the entire CWS, I'd rather see him go out on a high note leaving momentum for the next guy.

Our program just needs to some new life, and I think we can get someone pretty good.

Don't laugh but Tommy Bowden was very hot hire.

May 29, 2015, 5:33 PM [ in reply to Re: Obviously McDonnell is proven. But we don't usually hire ]

He might have been the hott4est thing available when we got him. He did okay up to a point, but.....

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Don't laugh but Tommy Bowden was very hot hire.

May 29, 2015, 5:38 PM

He coached one season before we hired him. We hired him exclusively because of his last name and I don't consider him an illustration of successful hiring. And we never more clearly played the fool than in his contract extension.

Undefeated at Tulane got everyone looking to hire attention***

May 29, 2015, 5:40 PM

Re: Undefeated at Tulane got everyone looking to hire attention***

May 29, 2015, 5:44 PM

Yes, lots of mid tier programs were interested in hiring him. Would Alabama or Ohio State have been looking at him with one year at a mid major school under his belt. My whole point is that Clemson does not hire like a top 10 school at any sport. For us to be get a top 10 coach has taken a lot of dumb luck.

Completely agree here. We go as cheap as possible. BUT,

May 29, 2015, 5:47 PM

I do think Radokovich likes to spend money (not saying this is always a positive) So I could see a scenario where he at least attempts to bring in a "big name proven coach" to replace our current HOF coach.

He was the hottest unproven up and comer.

May 29, 2015, 5:39 PM [ in reply to Don't laugh but Tommy Bowden was very hot hire. ]

Obviously Rich Rod was the brains, but I would still consider Tommy largely a success at Clemson.

Re: He was the hottest unproven up and comer.

May 29, 2015, 5:49 PM

I would say Tommy was a mid-tier hire that kept us mired in being a mid-tier program. People are freaking out right now because of a couple of misses in recruiting. In Tommy's time we had multiple years where we were near the bottom of the ACC in recruiting. If recruiting coverage was what it is now people might have actually jumped off buildings.

Re: He was the hottest unproven up and comer.

May 29, 2015, 8:38 PM

A lot of our success in recruiting can be traced to Tommy pushing for facilities. When he took over our facilities were flat out awful.

The WEZ is because of him not Dabo.

null

May 29, 2015, 5:23 PM

Lee is a good coach and will probably be our next head coach. Yea, he blew a chance to host a regional this year, but he also had his team an out or two away from playing for a National Championship a couple years ago.

2012_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 29, 2015, 5:26 PM

so we should fire Jack for coming up short once too often and replace him with a guy whose greatest credential is coming up just short very often. Makes perfect sense.

May 29, 2015, 5:29 PM

if jackleg is fired or retires many believe randy mazey will get the job.

May 29, 2015, 5:32 PM

I would like that more than Monte Lee.

So we keep Jack and keep paying him a ton of money

May 29, 2015, 8:36 PM [ in reply to Re: You think McDonnell would leave Louisville or is Clemson ]

To keep coming up short and progressively get worse until he eventually retires. THEN we hope there's a coach that wants to come to dumpster fire Jack leaves behind. Makes even more sense

Message was edited by: GunTotnTigr®

2012_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 29, 2015, 5:29 PM

The "problem" with getting a guy like McDonnell is that he is already well paid. Based on a quick search and post on Louisville board, he makes $430k which is more than Leggett. We would have to be willing to pay him more than that, so 500k+ in a sport that doesn't generate a profit.

Monte Lee is not worth firing Leggett for.

May 29, 2015, 5:31 PM

Hit post too early.

It may not be the best fiscal decision, but I would be ok with being like Texas and buying the best coach out there. They bought Augie Garrido off Cal State Fullerton, which paid off big time.

May 29, 2015, 5:35 PM

If Clemson goes out and resets the bar for what a baseball head coach makes and locks down a Corbin or McDonnell caliber coach I could quickly get behind moving Jack along and saying "it's just business." But nothing in my time watching Clemson athletics suggests they'll do it. Heck, they won't do it for basketball and it is a revenue sport.

Message was edited by: viztiz®

Think about recruiting. Leggett only had 2 years on his

May 29, 2015, 5:38 PM [ in reply to Re: You think McDonnell would leave Louisville or is Clemson ]

contract last year. Why would any solid recruit take that chance? Spurrier had like 4 or 5 years left and accidentally misspoke causing recruits to drop like flies.

We're too scared to commit to Jack and we've been too scared to fire him. If you can't commit, then you at least have to fire the guy.

I just don't understand what we've been doing in baseball.

Re: Think about recruiting. Leggett only had 2 years on his

May 29, 2015, 6:01 PM

I sure absolutely do not either. The present situation has us going no where but we refuse to take the action that is needed. JACK MUST GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 29, 2015, 5:36 PM

Lol. A step down... Nice try but why dont you take a look at the history of each program

Louisville arguably has the most successful athletic dept

May 29, 2015, 5:44 PM

in the nation currently. He is paid more than our HOF coach. They have solid facilities. Some would probably say you'd be crazy to leave.

Replies: 24
| visibility 1,794
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic