Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Doesn't the LGBT community realize they made Chick-fil-a
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 86
| visibility 1

Doesn't the LGBT community realize they made Chick-fil-a

May 27, 2015, 11:04 AM

millions of dollars by trying to accuse them of their so-called version of "hate"? This could be a very good thing for Clemson. We all have the right to believe in different lifestyles and take our own stance. Neither signifies "hate". Its just what society is. Please LGBT, stop accusing people of "hate" just because they don't buy into your agenda. Being a(n) LGBT person doesn't privelage you any more than anybody else. You shouldn't be celebrated because you are LGBT. You should just be treated by society just like non-LGBT. You don't deserve an award or news headlines because you come out of the closet or get your ##### whacked off.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Doesn't the LGBT community realize they made Chick-fil-a

May 27, 2015, 11:10 AM

Not sure where in the constitution your right to hate is protected?

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Smelley, Garcia, and Beecher are going to lead you to 4-8." - york_tiger

May 27, 2015, 11:12 AM

Not sure where in the OP you read that the constitution protects the right to hate?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

what does it say that confessed coot remains

May 27, 2015, 11:14 AM

the brightest of them?

rip cc

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 27, 2015, 11:14 AM [ in reply to Re: Doesn't the LGBT community realize they made Chick-fil-a ]

It's pretty obvious. I would go back and read it again.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Derpy derp derp.

May 27, 2015, 11:16 AM

"GUYS...derp derp derpy herp derrrrr...derp...

My points matter!

I'm stupid"

I'm paraphrasing of course.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

TIGER BALLS.

Re: Derpy derp derp.

May 27, 2015, 12:09 PM

STOP HATING ME!!!!

No, it's pretty obvious that OP is saying the opposite

May 27, 2015, 11:18 AM [ in reply to Re: Doesn't the LGBT community realize they made Chick-fil-a ]

of what you think you read. Having religious beliefs that marriage is between one man and one woman isn't hate. That's the point being made. Same goes for the LGBT groups and their beliefs.

I understand that reading is difficult for coots, but I still think you can do better than this.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

Re: No, it's pretty obvious that OP is saying the opposite

May 27, 2015, 11:22 AM

You can dress it up however you like GWP, but his last sentence makes all your effort a waste.

You saying that you don't think you can do better?

May 27, 2015, 11:24 AM

That's disappointing...we all had such high hopes for you

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Whatever you do, always give 100%.....unless it's donating blood

Ummm ... not me.***

May 27, 2015, 11:29 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I was young, I was sure of many things; now there are only two things of which I am sure: one is, that I am a miserable sinner; and the other, that Christ is an all-sufficient Saviour. He is well-taught who learns these two lessons." -John Newton

Well if you're not wishing/hoping classof09 to do better

May 27, 2015, 11:30 AM

you clearly hate her.

Why do you hate her so much? That's not nice

Ahhhh ... did her get her wittle feewing hurt?***

May 27, 2015, 11:34 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I was young, I was sure of many things; now there are only two things of which I am sure: one is, that I am a miserable sinner; and the other, that Christ is an all-sufficient Saviour. He is well-taught who learns these two lessons." -John Newton

So you think that last line says that in the

May 27, 2015, 11:32 AM [ in reply to Re: No, it's pretty obvious that OP is saying the opposite ]

constitution our right to hate is protected? Well crap, your reading comprehension is even worse than I originally thought.

To me, that says people are equal whether you're gay or straight. You don't deserve an award for being gay, just like you don't deserve an award for being straight. Nowhere does it mention hate or the Constitution.

Fess up Class09 - You're one of us masquerading as a

May 27, 2015, 11:36 AM [ in reply to Re: No, it's pretty obvious that OP is saying the opposite ]

coot for laughs. Outstanding parody btw. The only flaw is that nobody could really be as stupid and misinformed as your 09 character comes off as, but keep up the good work nonetheless.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

its not hate to disagree with a life style choice or to

May 27, 2015, 11:28 AM [ in reply to Re: Doesn't the LGBT community realize they made Chick-fil-a ]

oppose those choices based on your religious or moral beliefs. You liberals are quick you toss around the hate word except when Christians are the ones being targeted.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: its not hate to disagree with a life style choice or to

May 27, 2015, 11:32 AM

I'd say ISIS executing Christians in Syria is hateful.

GWP would say they weren't because they were just following their religious beliefs.

^^^Another DAPOTD nomination by classof09***

May 27, 2015, 11:36 AM

So you're comparing murder to the belief that

May 27, 2015, 11:36 AM [ in reply to Re: its not hate to disagree with a life style choice or to ]

marriage is between a man and a woman?

Re: So you're comparing murder to the belief that

May 27, 2015, 11:37 AM

Why waste your time with the COOT that is always on a Clemson site.

Re: So you're comparing murder to the belief that

May 27, 2015, 11:40 AM [ in reply to So you're comparing murder to the belief that ]

Yes.

Speeding doesn't stop being a crime because it isn't murder.

misdemeanor vs felony = not the same

May 27, 2015, 11:44 AM

The law recognizes the difference. Sadly, you apparently can not

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: misdemeanor vs felony = not the same

May 27, 2015, 11:47 AM

Wait. So misdemeanors are good and felonies are bad?

Or are they just different levels of bad?

You're being more idiotic than usual here

May 27, 2015, 11:50 AM

The religious belief that marriage is between a man and a woman is neither a felony nor a misdemeanor. Murder is a felony. Does that help?

Re: You're being more idiotic than usual here

May 27, 2015, 11:55 AM

No it doesn't help because you're not making any sort of a logical argument.

You're picking and choosing parts of different arguments and trying use them for another. It's a clear fallacy of division.

Re: You're being more idiotic than usual here

May 27, 2015, 11:56 AM

SO, YOU ARE SAYING YOU "REALLY" DO LOVE THE ##### HUH.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No, you did that by assuming that I would view

May 27, 2015, 11:57 AM [ in reply to Re: You're being more idiotic than usual here ]

religious beliefs on marriage and murder as being the same and thus should both be allowed.

So if someone believes that marriage

May 27, 2015, 12:59 PM [ in reply to Re: misdemeanor vs felony = not the same ]

should be between a man and a woman, that makes them bad?

GO TIGERS!!

It makes them full of hate

May 27, 2015, 1:20 PM

per classof09. And somehow the OP tried to claim that hate is protected by the constitution

Speeding doesn't get you life in prison

May 27, 2015, 11:46 AM [ in reply to Re: So you're comparing murder to the belief that ]

And I thought you were talking about the United States Constitution? You said the OP was claiming hate is protected under the document, please copy and paste where he says that. TIA

Also, under ANY religion in the US, murder is not protected, sacrifice is not protected. There have been many Supreme Court cases on religious practices violating federal laws. But you're trying to steer this way off topic.

Speeding is not a crime. It's a "moving violation".

May 27, 2015, 12:04 PM [ in reply to Re: So you're comparing murder to the belief that ]

Were you speeding and cause a fatal accident, your crime wouldn't be speeding, it would be vehicular manslaughter - an actual crime.

Were you to have ever filled out a job application for something other than flipping burgers or delivering pizzas you might have known the difference.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Speeding is not a crime. It's a "moving violation".

May 27, 2015, 12:20 PM

Sadly, you don't understand the distinction you're making.

Sadly, you don't understand the distinction you're making.***

May 27, 2015, 12:21 PM

Cockboy, how'd U feel LAST year when Tanner spoke

May 27, 2015, 11:41 AM [ in reply to Re: its not hate to disagree with a life style choice or to ]

at this same group meeting ?

Re: Cockboy, how'd U feel LAST year when Tanner spoke

This isn't a USC-Clemson issue.

Tanner was wrong as well. Hate is hate.

So Tanner should be under attack too?***

By the way how does this translate into hate?

Message was edited by: AThomas®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

So let me get this straight

May 27, 2015, 11:47 AM [ in reply to Re: Cockboy, how'd U feel LAST year when Tanner spoke ]

Because I disagree with gay marriage I hate gay people? So what does it mean then for the fact that I love my gay brother and see his partner as a brother in law and would do anything for them? No, I don't like the idea of them getting married legally but they are a part of my family and I love them. I have many gay friends, and don't feel hatred for any of them. But you're telling me that because I think marriage should be between a man and a woman that I hate gay people.

Moran.

Re: So let me get this straight

May 27, 2015, 11:50 AM

I don't care whether or not you disagree with Gay Marriage on principle or religious grounds.

But when you support denying equal rights to anyone, it's clearly hate.

'

Gay people have the same right to get married that

May 27, 2015, 11:53 AM

I do. There is no unequal protection.

Re: Gay people have the same right to get married that

May 27, 2015, 11:57 AM

Thanks to the court system. But not thanks to the posters on tigernet.

Gay people have always had the same right to get married.

May 27, 2015, 11:58 AM

I know, when I got a marriage license, they didn't ask if I was gay or not.

Re: Gay people have always had the same right to get married.

May 27, 2015, 12:00 PM

Just stop.

So, you agree that gay people can get married?***

May 27, 2015, 12:01 PM

Here Prod, hopefully this will help...

May 27, 2015, 12:02 PM

http://www.tigernet.com/forums/message.jspa?messageID=17280927

what is your position on polygamy? Is it also hate to make

May 27, 2015, 11:53 AM [ in reply to Re: So let me get this straight ]

This illegal? Just curious

^^^just put baby in the corner***

May 27, 2015, 11:55 AM

Re: what is your position on polygamy? Is it also hate to make

May 27, 2015, 11:59 AM [ in reply to what is your position on polygamy? Is it also hate to make ]

That's a complex issue and one not worth getting into.

Homosexuality and Polygamy are very different.

Polygamy has a history of being used as a diversion to cover up the rape and abuse of young girls.

Wow, you are really showing your hate for polyamorous people

May 27, 2015, 12:00 PM

Disappointing.

Re: what is your position on polygamy? Is it also hate to make

May 27, 2015, 12:07 PM [ in reply to Re: what is your position on polygamy? Is it also hate to make ]

So murder and speeding are the same thing but polygamy and gay marriage are different?

polygamy also has more history of being socially acceptable

May 27, 2015, 12:10 PM [ in reply to Re: what is your position on polygamy? Is it also hate to make ]

in human history. it doesn't make you a hater if you don't beleive in it.

So USuC should get rid of or somehow punish Mr. Tanner for

May 27, 2015, 11:57 AM [ in reply to Re: So let me get this straight ]

his beliefs? Hmm . . .

Message was edited by: AThomas®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Conservatives do not take a stand until needed

May 27, 2015, 12:53 PM [ in reply to Re: So let me get this straight ]

we are typcially at work and not on welfare when the boycotting and picketing happens. We are silent until one of our own is prodded and pushed, then we come out and support. Look at Hobby Lobby and Chic Fil A both, we rose up, provided support and won. Same would happen for Dabo. If the University or anyone else tried to take advantage of the situation and pushed it too far, I guarantee you the fanbase of Clemson would rise. We are far more Conservative than you think as a fan base and as a Country.

Re: Conservatives do not take a stand until needed

May 27, 2015, 1:13 PM

If Clemson were purely a South Carolina brand, you might be right for another few decades. But since we have aspirations and look at ourselves as a national brand, this controversy can only damage Clemson. Does it make conservatives who already love Dabo love him even more? Yes. Does it help Clemson solidify our position as a top public university which is tolerant and foward thinking? No.

Re: So let me get this straight

May 27, 2015, 1:22 PM [ in reply to So let me get this straight ]

I don't care if gays are married, doesn't bother me. But, I do care if Pastors/Churches are forced to marry them.

And for that I've been told I'm a bigot full of hate.

I'm still trying to figure out how I hate although pretty clearly I feel I'm for protecting BOTH the pastor and the gay man.

Once again, U've bought into the Liberal Agenda

May 27, 2015, 11:50 AM [ in reply to Re: Cockboy, how'd U feel LAST year when Tanner spoke ]

You know the one that says anyone that doesn't agree with it is a hater(or racists).

09 read ? If she read the OP, it would be the first thing

May 27, 2015, 11:22 AM [ in reply to Re: Doesn't the LGBT community realize they made Chick-fil-a ]

she's read before posting a response . . .

Brad Brownell: Only Larry freaking Shyatt has a WORSE overall winning percentage among Clemson basketball coaches since 1975. Let that sink in. It's Larry Shyatt & then Brad Brownell.

Congratulations

May 27, 2015, 11:19 AM [ in reply to Re: Doesn't the LGBT community realize they made Chick-fil-a ]

-

can we just agree that you shouldn't allowed to post picture***

May 27, 2015, 11:21 AM

"I've been working since I was 15 continually until now. I worked 40 hours a week at 15, when it wasn't even legal for 15 year olds to work that many hours."

Why are you stalking me?***

May 27, 2015, 11:23 AM

I disagree ... but I don't hate you for it.***

May 27, 2015, 11:23 AM [ in reply to can we just agree that you shouldn't allowed to post picture*** ]

York could probably care less***

May 27, 2015, 11:24 AM

Nice way to avoid my obligatory TD.

May 27, 2015, 11:30 AM

I am confused as to who to TD ... you as poster, or york, since he could care a little.

I could not care less

May 27, 2015, 11:31 AM

Sounds like a personal problem

Woo hoo!! If I escape with A personal problem, I'm doing good.

May 27, 2015, 11:36 AM

I always thought I had SEVERAL personal problems.

May 27, 2015, 11:20 AM [ in reply to Re: Doesn't the LGBT community realize they made Chick-fil-a ]

> Not sure where in the constitution your right to hate
> is protected?

Not sure in the Constitution where protection of people's feelings are mandated or even encouraged. Hate isn't a crime. Hurting someone's feelings or offending someone isn't a crime. In fact, that is good old fashioned freedom of speech. If someone doesn't like what I'm saying in the Greatest Nation on the planet they can CHOOSE not to listen to it. Heck, they even have the rights to voice an opposing view if they CHOOSE to do so. I personally don't give a da*m about anyone's precious little feelings.

Message was edited by: ChestyPuller0311®

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Our country won't go on forever, if we stay soft as we are now. There won't be any America because some foreign soldiery will invade us and take our women and breed a hardier race.

~Chesty Puller
Lt.General United States Marine Corps

Hate speech is not protected speech

May 27, 2015, 11:23 AM

however, as the OP says and Idjitof09 keeps ignoring, neither side of this issue is about hate.

Not sure why you still post here.

May 27, 2015, 11:22 AM [ in reply to Re: Doesn't the LGBT community realize they made Chick-fil-a ]

Losers gonna' be losers, I suppose.

May 27, 2015, 11:31 AM [ in reply to Re: Doesn't the LGBT community realize they made Chick-fil-a ]

The right of free expression. You can't control someone's emotions hate is an emotion.

Have you ever eaten at Chick-fil-a, 09?***

May 27, 2015, 11:31 AM [ in reply to Re: Doesn't the LGBT community realize they made Chick-fil-a ]

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Re: Have you ever eaten at Chick-fil-a, 09?***

May 27, 2015, 11:37 AM

Of course. Who doesn't love eating at Chick Fil a?

May 27, 2015, 11:52 AM

So you can separate good food and conservative leanings of the people that own and run a restaurant.

Is that not hypocritical?

Would it not also be possible for me to like and respect gay colleagues, but think their life choice is wrong?

I also have Muslim friends, would it not be possible to like and respect them, but not think their religion is opposed to mine?

null

May 27, 2015, 11:56 AM [ in reply to Re: Have you ever eaten at Chick-fil-a, 09?*** ]

Love the sinner - hate the sin?

null

May 27, 2015, 11:12 AM

Amen!

They also made them synonomous with being "anti-gay," tho

May 27, 2015, 11:14 AM

And just being associated with anything other than cheerleading the gay political agenda is enough for some people to think you're awful. People aren't interested in nuance on this issue, and, unfortunately, I think that's a byproduct of the politically effective way that gay marriage proponents have tried to associate their cause with black civil rights.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: They also made them synonomous with being "anti-gay," tho

May 27, 2015, 12:20 PM

Nuance such as "the Bible says its a sin, therefore I think my country/state should make/keep a law forbidding it"? I have to agree that the blind cheerleading devoid of critical thinking is really annoying, but maybe I'm looking at a different group from a different angle.

What are the compelling non-Biblical reasons to restrict access to an institution that the state should have never had its hand in in the first place? The closest I've seen is the old "think of the children" bit.

It's not a foregone conclusion that the Bible and/or the Christian definition of marriage should be applied in a statutory sense. People'd be a lot less disappointed in the shift we're seeing if they could acknowledge that.

No one thinks you or anyone is "awful." And that type of passive-aggressive persecution complex only goes so far when you really look at who has the rights and who doesn't in this country.

Fortunately for us all, delegating equal rights isn't a zero sum game. Despite what you may have been told, you still get to keep yours when we finish giving the queers theirs.

http://www.gallup.com/poll/117328/marriage.aspx

I won't attempt to refute the black civil rights analogy here, but I'd like you to reflect on why you think that makes less sense than Leviticus.

Summa cum laude. Magna cum laude. The radio’s too loudy.

Read anything that Ryan Anderson has written

May 27, 2015, 1:28 PM

There's plenty of non-Biblical, philosophical/ political reasons why marriage has been, and should be, only between a man and a woman. If you think there aren't any other reasons being offered, it's probably because you haven't actually been paying attention to anything the pro-marriage side has been saying.

It's kind of ridiculous to claim that people don't think that anybody who doesn't support gay marriage isn't awful when, ya know: the Supreme Court might rule that the only reason why anybody would be against gay marriage is because they're homophobic; or when people are frequently being fined for not serving gay marriages (not for not serving gay people because they're gay, but for not taking part in a specific event); or when people have to close their pizza shop after vandalism and threats because a reporter from out of town went looking for somebody to say they wouldn't serve a gay wedding (see Memories Pizza); or when laws intended to allow for pluralism on the issue of gay marriage, and which are already on the books in a number of other states, cause a national uproar; and when businesses react to the aforementioned laws by threatening to pull out of those states; or when somebody can be fired because a gay marriage advocate group stole the list of donors to Prop 8 in California, and people on the internet found their name on the list; or when it's front page news that a coach is accepting an award from a group that opposes gay marriage. Or, maybe, that's just the way gay marriage proponents show their tolerance.

Also, I think you should reflect on whether sexual orientation really is the same thing as skin color, and whether the situation faced by gay people is in any way comparable to that faced by blacks in America.

Message was edited by: camcgee®

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Read anything that Ryan Anderson has written

May 27, 2015, 3:55 PM

> There's plenty of non-Biblical, philosophical/
> political reasons why marriage has been, and should
> be, only between a man and a woman. If you think
> there aren't any other reasons being offered, it's
> probably because you haven't actually been paying
> attention to anything the pro-marriage side has been
> saying.

I don't know how you can consider this even remotely fair when the vocal majority dominates the conversation with self-serving religious speak. "You haven't been actually paying attention to anything the pro-marriage side has been saying" is something that can apply to virtually any political argument." I'll assume in saying that you disagree with all the feigned outrage from the Sunday School crowd?

Although I'm not unbiased on this topic and don't claim to be, it seems that you'd be hardpressed to find anyone patient enough to cut through the mind-numbing "the Bible says it, and that's good enough for me" talk to even ARRIVE at the arguments you're suggesting.

You saw the link I posted earlier. Given the widespread changing scope of public opinion, finding those types of articles is like finding the needle in the proverbial haystack. Dealing with that type of info overload while trying to relate that Leviticus also permits slavery and beating your wife tends to cross the ADHD wires at times.

Seriously, how many people with even average attention spans do you expect to even HEAR the truly eloquent positions (much less embrace them) when the opposite is what about 80% of your camp is sportin'.

Yes, the relatively obscure but totally unbiased political science dude you mentioned probably is brilliant, but the non-Biblical positions aren't the ones that are being argued by and large. That's the issue. And although I haven't read any of his stuff, I'm going to go out on a limb here and prepare to witness a large tail wagging a small dog. I do plan to read it, though, and I hope I'm wrong.

If I were you, I'd be telling the "use the Bible to make my laws!" folks to shut the #### up, because it's only hurting what seems like a genuine concern for public policy on your part.

> It's kind of ridiculous to claim that people don't
> think that anybody who doesn't support gay marriage
> isn't awful when, ya know: the Supreme Court might
> rule that the only reason why anybody would be
> against gay marriage is because they're homophobic;
> or when people are frequently being fined for not
> serving gay marriages (not for not serving gay people
> because they're gay, but for not taking part in a
> specific event); or when people have to close their
> pizza shop after vandalism and threats because a
> reporter from out of town went looking for somebody
> to say they wouldn't serve a gay wedding (see
> Memories Pizza); or when laws intended to allow for
> pluralism on the issue of gay marriage, and which are
> already on the books in a number of other states,
> cause a national uproar; and when businesses react to
> the aforementioned laws by threatening to pull out of
> those states; or when somebody can be fired because a
> gay marriage advocate group stole the list of donors
> to Prop 8 in California, and people on the internet
> found their name on the list; or when it's front page
> news that a coach is accepting an award from a group
> that opposes gay marriage. Or, maybe, that's just the
> way gay marriage proponents show their tolerance.

Now you're just ranting. For every one of those plights you listed, I could respond with similar instances/atrocities/flaws in the status quo that speak to the unnecessary strife that homosexuals and transgender people have to endure in this country. Strife which is often the result of someone who THINKS they have pure intentions.

Are those injustices less valid because there are fewer people as a percentage of the population Are they less valid because "homosexuality is a choice"? Or is it something else?

Or wait, are they not injustices because gay people aren't a "protected class"? You know, the "protected class" status that they're pretty much fighting for as we speak. Something something, circular reasoning.

As for being fired for disagreeing with/refusing to serve gay people, I don't have much of a reason to be worried with that. Despite my aversion to small-town Fundamental Protestantism, I do take a special pride in at least trying to be Christ-like in how I treat people. #### me, right?

The business owner who refuses to serve someone because of sexual orientation can cry me a river. I'm certain you have a well-rehearsed rebuttal to the notion of "you don't have a RIGHT to be a bigot", so I'll save you and I both the time on the back and forth on that. The issue is there in plain sight, though that certainly depends on whether you're the type of person who thinks it's your place to "agree with" or "disagree with" sexual orientation.

> Also, I think you should reflect on whether sexual
> orientation really is the same thing as skin color,
> and whether the situation faced by gay people is in
> any way comparable to that faced by blacks in
> America.
>
>
> Message was edited by: camcgee®

You have a point. It's harder for a soft-spoken, metrosexual male to get a job some places than it is for a black male to do so. And good thing no one was ever senselessly beaten just for being gay. I'm also glad that no 11 year old ever put a bullet in his dome because he didn't understand why he was "different" and why every day at school was a living hell.

Sure, gay people weren't enslaved. I'll give you that.

Oh, oh. Or is this another "you CHOOSE to be gay" prompt? I don't have the energy for that today.

Do not be surprised if/when others continue to see through the crocodile tears in sweeping numbers.

Its really simple.

May 27, 2015, 11:33 AM

For me, i don't give a ####. Be who you are, love who you love. Committed couples need to be entitled to legal rights the same as heteros, but i don't care if you call it civil union, marriage, or something else.
I don't read headlines about it.
I don't watch shows about it.
Shockingly, none of it bothers me bc I don't let it.

To be fair, I'm not sure that people are looking to be celebrated. Our society eats it up, it creates ratings, and the cycle continues.
The original post is an example of it. YOU brought this to tigernet today. Think about that irony.

null

Sanity***

May 27, 2015, 11:35 AM

May 27, 2015, 11:43 AM

It's not good for Clemson. We aren't chic fil a. The country has changed a great deal since 2004 when Karl Rove masterminded Bush's reelection. If Ohio had not had a gay marriage ban on their ballot, we would have had a president Kerry and two Bushes who would have been one term presidents. 11 years later people can't use gay fear to get elected.

As far as I know, LGBT people aren't asking for special rights, just the same legal protection and fiancial benefits which are afforded to straight couples. It's not special, just equal.

Dabo is a good man and believes what he believes. No one wants to censure him or throw him in jail for his beliefs. I hate the whole situation. If Clemson makes it where we all want...to national football prominence...this award from this group will be brought up again by national media and the spotlight will be much brighter. That is not good for Clemson. We would be better off if Dabo stayed away from groups like this. Does he have the right to do it? Absolutely he does. Is it good for Clemson? No, because it will Dabo look like he is on the wrong side or history and will reinforce stereotypes about backwards southerners. That's a lot more important than a chicken sandwich and waffle fries.

May 27, 2015, 1:21 PM

I really don't see what you don't get about this whole situation.

Being a christian and believing homosexuality is a sin is not considered hate. It only becomes a problem when you try to force your belief system onto others and thus oppress them. You are not the victim of the LGBT community. They are simply asking for equal rights and you are voting to not let them. How you see this as oppression to you I just can't fathom. You are still allowed to believe whatever you want. Why are they not afforded the same respect?

wrong!!! They are the ones trying to get business and

May 27, 2015, 1:37 PM

Organizations boycotted and ridiculed because they have Christian beliefs and believe in the traditional family.

Re: wrong!!! They are the ones trying to get business and

May 27, 2015, 1:43 PM

Yeah sure, the ones that are denying service to the LGBT community. What's the issue here again?

May 27, 2015, 5:55 PM

I think he's saying that he wants to be able to refuse service to people...and those people not have the right to say anything about it. So, he's advocating ACTUALLY restricting free speech in response to a PERCEIVED (maybe nonexistent) infringement on his freedom of religion.

We haven't even gotten in to the marriage stuff yet --- and it's already been established that THE QUEERS AND THEIR FRIENDS JUST NEED TO KEEP THEIR MOUTHS SHUT.

So not only are there laws on the books preventing gays access to a purely statutory institution as far as the gov't is concerned (marriage)...but right here before our very eyes we have folks who don't even want gay rights supporters to VOICE their concerns. Do they want a law saying that gay's can't criticize their government? Why, I believe that would be a direct usurpation of the 1st amendment of the Constitution.

This is almost too funny to be true. It's pretty obvious who's in the taking away rights because I said so business.

May 27, 2015, 6:57 PM

Devils advocate here. Aren't there many in the pro gay marriage camp doing the same? Rxcept they want Christians or anyone anti gay marriage to keep their mouths shut?

For the record, I'm on the pro gay marriage side but believe tolerance works BOTH ways. There are many on BOTH sides of the argument that need to figure that out.

May 27, 2015, 9:45 PM

Not really, and I'll speak for myself and not others. And I'll try to be less smug than my typical posts since you seem like a good feller.

I personally am not concerned with whether anti-gay people keep their mouths shut or not. This issue is not that I'm saying "shut up" or "you don't have a right to your opinion", the issue is that I'm saying "here's why using YOUR religion to define laws that apply to ALL people is wrong." Perhaps it''s a "not what you say, but how you say it kind of thing."

And at the risk of toeing the smug line again --- by all means --- I encourage the anti-gay folks to sit on the losing side of history and wallow in pity while laws that never should have existed are repealed. That will almost certainly be their legacy, and I'm not sure if it's pride or spite that keeps them on "that side" despite the inevitability of the forthcoming revelation that we've had it wrong all along just like we had slavery wrong, just like we had women's voting rights wrong, just like we had with Jim Crowe.

Tolerance does work both ways. But I don't have to take an idea seriously in order to acknowledge someone's right to have it. Everyone has the equal right to an idea in this country. I believe that if the government is going to be in the business of granting the right to marriage, then it should similarly give that right equally.

I'm tolerant of Christians practicing their religion as long as it doesn't adversely affect the private lives of others (ANYONE, EVEN GAY PEOPLE, BLACK PEOPLE AND JEWS). The rest is probably just me being an #######. Tolerance does not mean listening to presumptive, self-serving and, frankly, naive viewpoints and patting those people on the back for refusing to educate themselves. It means I'm not willing to write my Representative to request that preachers in South Carolina not be able to preach on gay marriage from the pulpit.

You won't see me in P&R on many issues besides this one and similar social ones. Something about the mix of combativeness/persecution on both sides --- coupled with accusations that THE OTHER SIDE is the only party engaged in such behavior --- are what makes this place all the more fun when the #### hits the fan.

Cheers.

The issue is over, Dabo backed out of it....

May 30, 2015, 2:50 PM

stating he didn't want to be involved with something political. So what point are you trying to make, when the issue is dead.

Replies: 86
| visibility 1
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic